H94 Frost 15 "Plethora of Presents"
2 (28.6%)
H94 Hail 06 "Surprise Package?"
1 (14.3%)
H94 Hail 11 "Emmings! (No L)"
4 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: June 14, 2015, 03:14:21 PM

Author Topic: Xmas / Holiday / Covox / Prima Level Voteoff (WINNER: Hail 11 "Emmings! (No L)")  (Read 16652 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Okay so, this voteoff is going to be a combined one between several games, due to them having a relatively small number of levels each - all of these combined are still the smallest of the four voteoffs!

> Xmas Lemmings 1991
> Xmas Lemmings 1992
> Holiday Lemmings 93
> Holiday Lemmings 94
> Covox Lemmings
> Prima Publishing Lemmings (aka "Official Lemmings Companion Game")

If you haven't yet played any of these, you can get them in Lemmix player format here: http://www.neolemmix.com/old/lemmix.html

The format will once again be the same. The re-rolling rules I've used for the first round are:
> If a set does not contain levels from at least five ranks.
> If a set does not contain at least three levels that aren't from H93 or H94.
> If a set does not contain at least one level from either Covox or Prima.
> If a set contains more than three consecutive levels.
> If a set contains both versions of "Presents of Mind"

For the second round, the rules are:
> If a set does not contain levels from at least three ranks
> If a set does not contain levels from at least two games
> If a set does not contain at least one level that isn't from H93 or H94
> If a set contains both versions of "Presents of Mind"

From the third round onwards, the sets don't get rerolled no matter what.

Each round has a limit on the number of levels that qualify to proceed to the next round. However, this limit may be exceeded in certain situations, depending on the results. Here's how the "limit" and the results combine to determine the qualifying levels:
1) All levels in first place qualify, no matter what.
2) If the limit has not been reached, all levels in second place qualify, no matter what.
3) If the limit has not been reached, then 3rd, 4th and so on are considered, but *only* if (a) including them won't cause the limit to be exceeded, and (b) they have at least one vote (first round) or half as many votes as the first place levels (any other round).

As before, each set is open for voting for 48 hours, except in the finals, where it's 72 hours. And like always, the number of votes allowed is a maximum, not an exact requirement - you are allowed to vote for fewer than the maximum if you don't feel enough levels are worthy of a vote.

Remember, no discussion of the levels being voted on at the time is allowed within the topic (but discussing them elsewhere on the boards is fine).

NOTE: Just to be clear, this is based off the DOS versions, which means Flurry 8 is "Vacation in Gemland", not "Clouds of Lemmings". The latter level will be in the fourth ("other levels") voteoff.

Round Breakdown

In all cases, when the sets cannot be divided equally, the remainder levels are added to the earlier rounds. EG: If a round says "divided into three equal sets" and there are 17 levels, the first two sets will have 6 levels each and the third set will have 5 levels. Likewise, if a round says "divided into sets of 5 levels" and there are 21 levels, the first set will get 6 levels. This does not affect the qualifying levels limit or the number of votes unless the round specifically states otherwise.

Round 1
Levels are divided into sets of 10 levels each. Three votes are allowed per user. Qualifying level limit is 5.

Round 2
Levels are divided into sets of 5 levels each. Two votes are allowed per user. Qualifying level limit is 3.

Round 3
Levels are divided into sets of 4 levels each. Two votes are allowed per user. Qualifying level limit is 2.

Round 3 has been cancelled since so few levels are making it through from Round 2. So we'll take the Round 2 qualifiers straight through to Round 4.

Round 4
Levels are broken into three sets (four sets if 20+ levels make it to here). Two votes are allowed per user. Qualifying level limit is 2.

Round 5
Levels are played in a single set. Two votes are allowed per user. Qualifying level limit is 2.

Round 6 (Finals)
Levels are played in a single set. One vote is allowed per user. This round determines the winner.
If 3+ levels make it here, and there is a tie for first, the two tied levels go into another extra round. This continues until there is either a clear winner, or a tie for first place between all levels (not including those that receive no votes).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 03:35:47 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Round / Set Lists

Please see the attached spreadsheet for set lists and winners.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 03:43:41 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Alright, the voteoff has started! May the best level win! :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Well, this is a fine start. In the first set, I could only find two levels I considered worth a vote.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Qualifying levels are:

H93 Blitz 15 "The Needs of the Many..."
H94 Frost 06 "The Land of the Bizarre"
Covox Tricky 02 "Lots of Steel crates!"

Next round is up. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Qualifying levels this set are:

X92 03 "A Lemming Holiday"
H93 Blitz 04 "Santus Lemmingus"
H94 Frost 04 "Separate Ways"
H94 Frost 13 "2 Minutes before midnight"
Prima Mayhem 01 "Dolly Dimple?"

Next set is up.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Qualifying levels this set are:

X92 04 "The North Poles"
H93 Flurry 05 "Christmas South of the Equator"
H94 Frost 09 "Quest for Kieran"
H94 Hail 01 "Go Thataway!"

Next set is up. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Very glad that "Quest for Kieran" made it. I'm sure you know the story behind this level -- it was named after a fan who wrote in to the developers while he was ill. What you may not know (if you weren't there when I talked about this in chat when I discovered it) is that Kieran is the same person as Kieran Millar, a friend of mine on the DROD forums who is now an excellent puzzle designer  8)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Very glad that "Quest for Kieran" made it. I'm sure you know the story behind this level -- it was named after a fan who wrote in to the developers while he was ill. What you may not know (if you weren't there when I talked about this in chat when I discovered it) is that Kieran is the same person as Kieran Millar, a friend of mine on the DROD forums who is now an excellent puzzle designer  8)

Yes, I do know it. I myself have encountered him a few times on the Hungry Software fan forums back in the day.

However, the backstory didn't really have much to do with it (at least for me) in the voteoff - it's also a very good level. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Qualifying levels are:

H94 Frost 10 "Four Play"
H94 Hail 12 "Merry Christmaze"
H94 Hail 16 "Peak of Performance"
Covox Mayhem 02 "JackLemmings"

My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Qualifying levels are:

H94 Hail 13 "Polar Expedition"
Prima Tricky 04 "The Pipeline"
Prima Mayhem 03 "Old MacDonald Had a Farm..."

My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Qualifying levels are:

H93 Flurry 08 "Vacation in Gemland"
H93 Flurry 09 "A Block from Home"
H93 Blitz 13 "The Final Frontier"
H94 Hail 04 "Lemmintaschen?"

(Out of interest, does anyone know what the title "Lemmintaschen" is referring to? I assume it's something to do with Hannukah, given the design of the level, but beyond that I have no idea.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
This page says it's a reference to hamantashen, which are Jewish-style cookies.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Qualifying levels are:

H93 Flurry 12 "Presents of Mind"
H94 Hail 14 "Rendezvous II"
Prima Taxing 03 "Oh No! Squish."

My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Qualifying levels are:

H94 Hail 05 "Get the Point?"
H94 Hail 10 "Lemmy in the cold, cold ground"
H94 Hail 15 "Steel Block Party"
Covox Taxing 01 "IceTown"
Prima Tricky 01 "The Prima Publishing Level"

My Lemmings projects

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
This is the first set for which I had difficulty deciding because there were more than three levels I liked  :P

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Wow. For me, this was one of the few sets where I could only find two I wanted to vote for.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Qualifying levels are:

H93 Flurry 16 "The Long Way Around"
H93 Blitz 08 "Presents of Mind II"

Will get the next set up as soon as I've finished randomizing the lists for the next round. :)

Re-rolling rules for the second round are that each set must have:
> At least two games
> At least one game that isn't H93 or H94
> At least three ranks
> The two "Presents of Mind" levels can't be in the same set
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 04:51:56 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
New round is up. :)

Just as a few quick reminders;
- You don't *have* to vote for two levels. You can vote for just one if you like.
- As in all the voteoffs, in all rounds outside of the first, in addition to all other requirements a level that isn't in 1st or 2nd place (including ties for those places) must have at least half as many votes as the 1st place level in order to qualify.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Qualifying levels are:

H93 Flurry 12 "Presents of Mind"

My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Qualifying levels are:

H94 Frost 13 "2 Minutes before midnight"
H94 Hail 15 "Steel Block Party"

Next set is up.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
With me being away for the next few days, it might take a bit longer than usual for me to start up the next set once this one closes. Apologies in advance for that.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Qualifying levels are:

H94 Hail 04 "Lemmintaschen?"
H94 Hail 05 "Get the Point?"
Covox Taxing 01 "IceTown"

Next set is up.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Qualifying levels are:

H94 Frost 04 "Separate Ways"
H94 Hail 14 "Rendezvous II"

Next set is up.

EDIT: Had the wrong images originally on the two prima ones (Tricky 4 gave a 404, while Mayhem 3 showed an image of Taxing 3). Fixed now.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Qualifying levels are:

H93 Blitz 15 "The Needs of the Many..."

My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Qualifying levels are:

X92 04 "The North Poles"

(Hm, very surprised to see Vacation in Gemland didn't make it through!)

Next set is up.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Xmas / Holiday / Covox / Prima Level Voteoff (Current: Pre-Round 4)
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2015, 05:45:45 AM »
Okay, we'll be skipping the 3rd round, since we're already down to the number of levels approximately that the 4th round should have. I'll prepare it later on; for now I've updated the second post with the winners from this latest set.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Alright, we're back!
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Qualifiers are:

Next set is up.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Qualifying levels are:

X92 04 "The North Poles"

My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Xmas / Holiday / Covox / Prima Level Voteoff (Current: Round 5)
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2015, 01:10:05 PM »
Qualifying levels are:

Next round is started. :) The levels that get through here are in the finals!
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Xmas / Holiday / Covox / Prima Level Voteoff (Current: Round 6)
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2015, 03:14:40 PM »
So, the levels that go through to the finals are...

Speaking of which, the finals are now up! As with previous voteoffs, the final round is open for 3 days instead of 2.

If there's a tie between two levels, they go onto a tiebreaker round, but if there's a three-way tie, we simply have three winners.

All levels that made it to the finals are from Holiday 94. As a point of interest, let's see which levels got the furthest from the other packs:

Xmas 91: No levels made it past the first round.
Xmas 92: Level 4 "The North Poles" made it to Round 5.
Holiday 93: Flurry 16 "The Long Way Around" and Blitz 8 "Presents of Mind II" both made it to Round 5.
Covox: Taxing 1 "IceTown" made it to Round 4.
Prima: A handful of levels made it to Round 2.

I guess in most cases it isn't fair to say these are definitely the best levels in their packs, since it could be claimed the others simply had better opponents. So it's just a point-of-interest thing. Although in some cases it's probably safe to draw that conclusion (in particular, X92 Level 4).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 03:19:46 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Xmas / Holiday / Covox / Prima Level Voteoff (Current: FINALS!)
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2015, 03:52:09 PM »
We've got about 24 hours to go until the voting closes. If you haven't voted yet, get your votes in now! :)

After that, the Extra Levels voteoff will be starting. I'll put up a topic for it shortly (I already sorted out the sets for the first round a long time ago), although no actual voting in it will open until this one finishes.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
WE HAVE A WINNER!

The level voted the best out of Xmas 91, Xmas 92, Holiday 93, Holiday 94, Covox and Prima is...

Thanks for voting! I'll be opening the Extra Levels voteoff, as well as getting up the spreadsheet of this voteoff's results, soon. :)

(Aww. I was really hoping Plethora of Presents would win... still, it got to the finals at least!)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
I was really hoping Plethora of Presents would win...
I voted for it! 8-)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Personally I didn't even think Emmings (No L) was a great level, aside from the genius pun in the level name. A good level, sure, but not a great one. (My other vote in Round 5 actually went to X92 4 "The North Poles".) But, I guess that's just not the majority opinion here. :P
My Lemmings projects