Author Topic: Save requirement: show during play (July 2015)  (Read 7450 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Save requirement: show during play (July 2015)
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 12:23:31 AM »
on my suggestion:

you know how often you have a level with a save percentage of very high like 90%. So you often play the level with the idea "I can loose two lemmings". With a death counter, that makes it real easy to see if you're still okay or if the level's cooked already.
But I'm not ernestly wishing for this, it just seemed like a good idea. Like I said before it doesn't matter much to me.
IMO, this 'initial' stuff is getting too complicated. I strongly feel that simple is better. If people can figure it out now, keep it simple.

I like the idea of removing the "TIME" label altogether. I think everyone pretty much knows when they're looking at the clock without the label.

Here's another wild idea (From Revolution); if you were able to have lemmings highlighted under the cursor (that is; they change color somehow) then the "lemming job" label in the bar could be removed altogether. I have no idea how feasible this is.
This is one feature I loved about Revolution; always very easy to see the lemming you're selecting.

everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 04:22:04 AM »
With a death counter, that makes it real easy to see if you're still okay or if the level's cooked already.

In terms of a simple "do I have enough lemmings left or not", there's already a feature for that - "Lemming count blink" is what you're looking for. :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 07:37:19 AM »
IMO, this 'initial' stuff is getting too complicated.

Exactly that stat, or the overall amount of stats?

(initial) is the simplest number of them all, because it's a constant.

If you don't like the amount of information on the screen with 4 numbers, it's possible to move the constants from permanent display to the yet-nonexisting hotkey lookup sheet. I deem them too important for that.

Displaying only (out), (in) is minimalism, not simplification -- unless you perfectly remember (initial) and (required) each time. I've already described why the program should not make you remember those. Minimalism is removing everything unnecessary, and then remove some of the necessary, such that it hurts.

I agree with how "TIME" is redundant.

L1 displays the slowest-possible release rate all the time, on the minus button. That's less important than the very target of the game. So L1 oversimplifies in some areas, and is verbose in others.

With a death counter, that makes it real easy to see if you're still okay or if the level's cooked already.
In terms of a simple "do I have enough lemmings left or not", there's already a feature for that - "Lemming count blink" is what you're looking for. :)

The death/maxdeath counter is useful during planning. The blink is not. Secondarily, you can check exactly by how many lems a solution attempt has come short.

The blink doesn't hurt either, and can well stay in. At that point, distracting from play by blinking is perfectly OK.

I sympathize with Clam's feelings about the positive goal.

ccx is also right on how the exact implementation is not important.

Anyway, let's see what the GUI rewrite will bring.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 08:21:12 AM by Simon »