Author Topic: Cheapo content to NeoLemmix conversion  (Read 42333 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Cheapo content to NeoLemmix conversion
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2015, 02:40:29 PM »
In regards to the misplaced water, I'll look into it. Could you tell me exactly which level this is, so I can test any fixes on a level where the issue is known to occur?

On the other hand, in regards to the window position, they're definitely in the same spot as far as the image goes. Do keep in mind that NeoLemmix is not Cheapo and doesn't aim to perfectly replicate it; there are some features specifically added to improve compatibility (ie: implementation of all Cheapo object types except gravity changers (although some don't function exactly the same way), and the "Cheapo Mode" option), but at the end of the day, there will always be levels that need some manual touching up. This level may just be one of those.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2015, 02:55:47 PM »
In regards to the misplaced water, I'll look into it. Could you tell me exactly which level this is, so I can test any fixes on a level where the issue is known to occur?

Here's the Madness pack that includes the level with the water issue (Madnessweb29.lvl and x_Madnessweb29.dat). In fact, there have been a couple of levels with that issue.

It also includes all the converted styles, as well as the original .sty and .set files.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2015, 03:18:57 PM »
Alright. I'll probably look into this sometime tomorrow, and if I can find the problem, put out an update of CheapoCon. :) My first guess would be that the object is placed at a negative coordinate and CheapoCon is either reading or writing that incorrectly, but it's not impossible that it's more complicated than that.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2015, 03:30:41 PM »
Another thing: the level preview screens in Cheapo have preview text under them that introduces the level. Is it possible to have the preview text (as well as hints) extracted as TXT files?

Also, in Cheapo, Lemmings die when they walk to the left and right sides of the screen; this doesn't happen in a Cheapo-to-NeoLemmix level

Should the colored background of a Cheapo level be retained when converting the level to NeoLemmix? 

There are also some levels that have their release rate over 99.

Found another issue in Madness: the clouds of Madness 8 "In a Dark, Dark House" have disappeared.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 12:37:00 AM by DynaLem »

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2015, 09:06:43 AM »
I've found and fixed the source of the disappearing objects issue - as I thought, it was simply not handling negative coordinates correctly.

I don't intend to do anything about the sides of levels. NeoLemmix doesn't support any form of storing a background color in a level's data, so that isn't going to be implemented either. Nor would it properly support release rates greater than 99 - indeed, I don't even think Cheapo and NeoLemmix use the same algorithm for how release rate works (NeoLemmix's is identical to that of DOS / standard Lemmix), and I wouldn't know what Cheapo's is. Even if I did - as I keep stating, the goal here isn't to perfectly replicate Cheapo gameplay; as such, levels may in some cases need to be tidied up after conversion.

I've uploaded the update to fix the negative position issue. At some point I'll look into extracting the preview / hint texts.

To be clear - it'll fix issues with negative positions of objects or steel/oneway areas. Terrain should never have been affected in the first place.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 11:20:37 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2015, 02:47:59 PM »
Sorry for the off-topicness, but where did you get those styles? I'd really like the jungle and night city ones.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2015, 02:51:32 PM »
The "night city" one is the Shadow style from Lemmings 2. A NeoLemmix conversion of the Cheapo version of this style exists in Cheapo Style Pack #1. Otherwise, there's also a Lemmini version of this style, which can easily be converted to NeoLemmix (you could consider asking IchoTolot, as he used this in his level pack which he's recently converted to NeoLemmix); Lemmini styles are more similar to NeoLemmix ones so should work better overall, but it should be noted that converted Lemmini styles won't support autosteel (unless they're manually modified to support it, which isn't a very hard task), whereas converted Cheapo styles will support it.

Not 100% sure on the other one.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2015, 02:52:30 PM »
The jungle one is in this post as monkey.dat.

On the other hand, the water and the clouds is fixed now. Thanks! All I need to do now is a some tweaking, and probably wait until the preview/hints are extractable (may not be in the first release), then I can release the player!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 04:16:28 PM by DynaLem »

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2015, 03:42:21 PM »
I know this is unrelated but i want that skill bar from that ice cheapo level

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2015, 04:30:39 PM »
I don't know which level, but in case this helps, here's the Stands file I used for both MichaelSnow sets.

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2015, 04:53:35 PM »
thank you

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2015, 03:02:05 AM »
In addition to converting the SET files to the DAT files, is it also possible to have the LVL files directly extracted from the converted Cheapo set? I'm making Flexi packs for all the Cheapo levels, and I don't want to go through the trouble of using the NeoLemmix DAT Manager to get the levels out.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2015, 09:52:43 AM »
Absolutely possible, since it goes via LVL files (in memory) anyway. I'll add the option.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2015, 10:16:22 AM »
Done. Added both the option to save LVL files, and the option to save preview / hint texts.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2015, 02:41:15 PM »
Thank you so much for this! :thumbsup:

One more question before I start releasing the converted levels - should I include levels that have gravity changers/upside down lemmings in them, or exclude them? I don't know if you'll support those in the future.