Author Topic: Family Feud 2015  (Read 139923 times)

Offline Quizmaster

• We have asked 100 people...
    • View Profile
Re: Family Feud 2015
« Reply #240 on: October 31, 2015, 10:09:25 PM »
Hmm, only 5 entries so far? Come on, let's get a few more!

I'll close entries in 72 hours, although I might extend this if entries are still coming in.

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 02, 2015, 10:07:23 AM »
For all those who have entered so far, you should've received a PM confirming whether or not your inverse- and special- scoring answers are valid. For those who had invalid answers, you are of course welcome to change them to valid ones.

I've received one more entry since the last message. There's still time to get some more in, if you haven't entered yet.

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 03, 2015, 11:56:16 PM »
Gonna give a few more hours for any last-minute entries, otherwise this is closing. If you do intend to make a last-minute entry, please drop me a PM advising me of such so that I don't start counting up the answers before you get yours in.

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 04, 2015, 05:32:50 AM »
Entries are now closed; I will be posting the results shortly.

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 04, 2015, 06:04:09 AM »
Unfortunately, the results will have to be delayed due to an oversight on my part - one person listed the same continent twice in their Q11 answers and I didn't notice this when verifying the answers.

I have contacted this person via PM, and have also calculated the results for all other questions. As soon as this person corrects their answer, I will calculate the Q11 / Q12 results and post the full results here.

EDIT: I don't want to delay this forever, especially when for the most part the scores have been calculated, so if the user doesn't provide a corrected response soon, I will change the second occurance of the duplicate continent to the one they missed. (My logic here being - process of elimination, the duplicated one was no longer a valid option at the point they chose it a second time, so the second is the one that should be replaced.)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 11:31:03 AM by Quizmaster »

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 06, 2015, 04:36:25 AM »
Corrected answer is in, so it's results time!

Regular scoring questions
1. Name a country that uses the Euro as its currency.
Germany (5 people; 1 point): bsmith, Crane, geoo, namida, Simon
France (1 person; 0.2 points): grams88

2. Name a country that uses any kind of "dollar" as its currency.
USA (5 people; 1 point): Crane, geoo, grams88, namida, Simon
Canada (1 person; 0.2 points): bsmith

3. Name a country that does not have a president.
United Kingdom (3 people; 1 point): Crane, geoo, grams88
Canada (2 people; 0.67 points): bsmith, namida
North Korea (1 person; 0.33 points): Simon

4. Name a country that produces a lot of electronic goods.
Japan (4 people; 1 point): bsmith, Crane, grams88, Simon
China (2 people; 0.5 points): geoo, namida

5. Name a country in the southern hemisphere.
New Zealand (3 people; 1 point): geoo, namida, Simon
Australia (2 people; 0.67 points): Crane, grams88
Brazil (1 person; 0.33 points): bsmith

6. Name a country that does not have any land borders with other countries.
New Zealand (3 people; 1 point): geoo, namida, Simon
Australia (2 people; 0.67 points): bsmith, Crane
Iceland (1 person; 0.33 points): grams88

Total scores for Standard-Scoring section:
geoo: 5.50
Crane: 5.34
Simon: 5.33
namida: 5.17
grams88: 4.20
bsmith: 3.87

Inverse scoring questions
7. Name a country that has the Union Jack in their flag.
Acceptable answers: Too many to list.
Niue (1 person; 1 point): namida
New Zealand (2 people; 0.67 points): Crane, geoo
Australia (3 people; 0.33 points): bsmith, grams88, Simon

8. Name a country that shares a land border with Russia. (Russia itself is not a valid answer.)
Acceptable answers: Norway, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Belarus, Ukraine, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Mongolia, North Korea, China
Unique answers (3 unique answers; 1 point each):
>> Crane: Mongolia
>> grams88: Poland
>> namida: North Korea
>> Simon: China
Finland (2 people; 0.5 points): bsmith, geoo

9. Name a country that has a larger land area than the United States.
Acceptable answers: Canada, China, Russia
Canada (3 people; 1 point): bsmith, Crane, namida
China (3 people; 1 point): geoo, grams88, Simon

10. Name one of the countries in the United Kingdom.
Acceptable answers: England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland
Unique answers (2 unique answers; 1 point each):
>> bsmith: Northern Ireland
>> geoo: Scotland
Wales (2 people; 0.5 points): Crane, grams88
England (2 people; 0.5 points): namida, Simon

Total scores for Inverse-Scoring section:
namida: 3.50
Crane: 3.17
geoo: 3.17
bsmith: 2.83
grams88: 2.83
Simon: 2.83

Total scores for Standard- and Inverse- Scoring Questions combined
geoo: 8.67
namida: 8.67
Crane: 8.51
Simon: 8.16
grams88: 7.03
bsmith: 6.70

Special-Scoring Questions

Note: The scores for these questions are seperate from the main feud score; the conversion to feud score is at the end of this section.

Some people wrote "Australia" rather than "Oceania". This was fine; I interpreted this as meaning "Oceania". (Technically, "Australia" being a continent is more geographically accurate.)

11. You are planning a holiday in which, over a period of one week, you will visit each of the 7 continents: North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceania, and Antarctica. You will visit one continent per day (let's assume you instantly teleport to the next one at midnight). Decide which order you will visit them in. On each day, you will score 1 point if you are the only person in your chosen continent, 2 points if there is exactly one other person there, half a point if there are exactly two other people there, and no points if there are three or more other people there.

In-Depth Results (click to show/hide)

Scores for Question 11:
bsmith: 10
Crane: 10
grams88: 10
namida: 9.5
Simon: 9.5
geoo: 8

12. You have learnt that one of the other users is wanted by the international police during their holiday! The problem is, you don't know exactly who. All you can do is pick a day and a continent, and point the international police in that direction. The international police will investigate three reports per person. All users who are in the reported continent on the reported day will be "spotted" by the international police. Whichever user is spotted the most loses 3 points (if there is a tie, the loss is split evenly), whichever user is spotted the least gains 3 points (again, split if tied). Note that if two users report the same combination, it is only investigated once.

List of reports (click to show/hide)

Investigation Findings (click to show/hide)

Scores for Question 12:
Least finds (3 people; 1 point each): bsmith, Crane, Simon
Most finds (1 person; -3 points): geoo
Others (no effect on score):
> grams88, found twice
> namida, found twice

Total scores for special-scoring questions:
bsmith: 11.00 (feud score: 3.00)
Crane: 11.00 (feud score: 3.00)
Simon: 10.50 (feud score: 2.86)
grams88: 10.00 (feud score: 2.73)
namida: 9.50 (feud score: 2.59)
geoo: 5.00 (feud score: 1.36)

Grand Totals
Crane: 11.51
namida: 11.26
Simon: 11.02
geoo: 10.03
grams88: 9.76
bsmith: 9.70

Congratulations to Crane for winning this round!

If anyone would like to host the next round, drop me a private message (on the QuizMaster account). Otherwise, I'll put a new one up at some point in the next few days.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #246 on: November 06, 2015, 04:56:09 AM »
Just wondering - the inverse questions do seem to be fairly popular. For the 2016 season, should we perhaps consider splitting them into two seperate games? (Although then the question arises of which game the special-scoring questions should go in - but perhaps they can be accepted in both, or even made into a third game.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 06, 2015, 03:38:18 PM »
Welldone Crane :thumbsup:

Not a bad idea Namida, they do seem very popular the inverse scoring ones as it's like you are playing a different game, although we probably need to be very strict with which answers are accepted.

Ah question 7 the inverse scoring one, I was thinking should I go for one of the common ones in the hope that no one else answers the same as me.

Question 9 was an interesting one as you could only pick one of three. I picked the popular one which is not good. :laugh:

That was a good round.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #248 on: November 07, 2015, 01:41:48 AM »
Not a bad idea Namida, they do seem very popular the inverse scoring ones as it's like you are playing a different game, although we probably need to be very strict with which answers are accepted.

It's already understood in the inverse-scoring questions that if your answer is factually incorrect (or explicitly forbidden by the question), it scores zero; unlike in the standard questions where these don't matter and it's solely about how popular the answer is.

We can see even in Q7 and Q8 here, that a large selection of possible answers is not nessecerially an obstacle to there being conflicts.

Question 9 was an interesting one as you could only pick one of three. I picked the popular one which is not good. :laugh:

Both answers were equally common there. Though if anyone had've said Russia, they'dve won that question, since no one said it at all...
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 08, 2015, 03:47:52 PM »
Okay, let's have a new round! The theme this time is going to be... animals!

There won't be any inverse scoring ones, as I couldn't think of any that didn't have a far too large selection of potential valid answers. So it's standard- and special- scoring only, this time.

Standard-Scoring Questions
1. Name an animal you might have as a pet.
2. Name an animal that might try to eat you.
3. Name an animal that does not have a tail.
4. Name an extinct animal.
5. Name an animal that looks somewhat like a human (other than humans themself).
6. Name an amphibious animal.
7. Name a breed of dog.
8. Name an animal that can fly and is not a bird of any kind.
9. Name an animal you might see in a circus.
10. Name an animal that you might eat. (Apologies to the vegetarians / vegans on here.)

11. You're betting on a horse race! There are five horses, we'll simply call them No. 1, No. 2, etc. All you have to do is choose which one you want to bet on, and how many points you want to bet on it - this must be a multiple of 0.5, and cannot exceed 2.5. These will be deducted from your feud score. You gain points equal to your bet times the following multipliers, depending on where your horse comes:
1st: 2x
2nd: 1.5x
3rd: 1x
4th: 0.5x
5th: 0x
So for example, if you bet 1.5 points and your horse comes 2nd, you'll gain (1.5 x 1.5) = 2.25 points; for a profit of 0.75 points.
You may choose not to participate in this question at all, if you like. If you do so, you neither gain nor lose any points for it.

12. Of course, we need some way to determine the results that isn't open to manipulation by the host. So - pick any number from 0 to 999. Everyone's numbers will be added together, and used as the seed to generate random numbers on this webpage (allowing anyone who wants to verify the result's fairness to do so). This will determine the ranking of the horses (with the first number in the generated list being 1st place). There are no points to be gained or lost for this question; it is just used to determine results fairly for Question 11.

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 09, 2015, 01:02:20 PM »
Just a friendly reminder for those who do decide to participate in Question 11 - you must choose both a bet amount (0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 or 2.5) and a horse to bet on (Horse 1, Horse 2, Horse 3, Horse 4 or Horse 5). I have already received a couple of submissions that only put one or the other.

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 15, 2015, 11:41:41 PM »
I'll close entries in 48 hours, unless there's still new ones coming in.

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 18, 2015, 07:36:26 PM »
Alright - time to start working out the results. Entries are now closed.
EDIT: Results are tallied up, just got to write them out now. :)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 07:48:59 PM by Quizmaster »

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 18, 2015, 08:11:13 PM »
Alright, here we go! :)

1. Name an animal you might have as a pet.
Dog (5 people; 1 point): bsmith, Crane, geoo, grams88, mobius
Cat (3 people; 0.6 points): Minim, namida, Simon

2. Name an animal that might try to eat you.
Lion (5 people; 1 point): Crane, grams88, mobius, namida, Simon
Wolf (2 people; 0.4 points): bsmith, Minim
Shark (1 person; 0.2 points): geoo

3. Name an animal that does not have a tail.
Human (3 people; 1 point): Minim, mobius, Simon
Gorilla (2 people; 0.67 points): bsmith, namida
Unique answers (0.33 points each):
> Crane: Chimpanzee
> geoo: Frog
> grams88: Fish

4. Name an extinct animal.
Dinosaur (4 people; 1 point): geoo, mobius, namida, Simon
Dodo (3 people; 0.75 points): bsmith, Crane, grams88
T-Rex (1 person; 0.25 points): Minim (Subclass rule, so this wasn't counted as equivalent to "Dinosaur")

5. Name an animal that looks somewhat like a human (other than humans themself).
Gorilla (3 people; 1 point): bsmith, Crane, Simon
Monkey (3 people; 1 point): grams88, Minim, mobius
Unique answers (0.33 points each):
> geoo: Ape
> namida: Chimpanzee

6. Name an amphibious animal.
Frog (7 people; 1 point): bsmith, geoo, grams88, Minim, mobius, namida, Simon
Crocodile (1 person; 0.14 points): Crane

7. Name a breed of dog.
Husky (2 people; 1 point): bsmith, geoo
Unique answers (0.5 points each):
> Crane: Rottweiler
> grams88: Collie
> Minim: Beagle
> mobius: German Shephard
> namida: Labrador
> Simon: Dachshund

8. Name an animal that can fly and is not a bird of any kind.
Bat (7 people; 1 point): bsmith, Crane, grams88, Minim, mobius, namida, Simon
Fly (1 person; 0.14 points): geoo

9. Name an animal you might see in a circus.
Elephant (6 people; 1 point): bsmith, Crane, grams88, mobius, namida, Simon
Unique answers (0.17 points each):
> geoo: Lion
> Minim: Monkey

10. Name an animal that you might eat.
Cow (3 people; 1 point): bsmith, Crane, namida
Chicken (2 people; 0.67 points): geoo, grams88
Unique anwers (0.33 points each):
> Minim: Lamb
> mobius: Capybara
> Simon: Pig

Totals for standard-scoring questions
mobius - 8.83
bsmith - 8.82
Simon - 8.43
grams88 - 8.25
namida - 8.10
Crane - 7.72
Minim - 6.25
geoo - 5.84

Horse Race Results!

Total seed value: 2301 (click to show/hide)

This seed was used on this website, with a minimum value of 1 and a maximum value of 5, and no duplicates allowed, to give the following results:
1st Place: Horse 5
2nd Place: Horse 4
3rd Place: Horse 3
4th Place: Horse 2
5th Place: Horse 1

bsmith, Crane, grams88 and geoo chose not to bet, so do not gain or lose any points on this question.
Minim and mobius both bet 2.5 points on Horse 3; namida bet 1 point on Horse 3. Since Horse 3 came third, these people win back their bet exactly so do not gain or lose any points.
Simon bet 2.5 points on Horse 1. Since Horse 1 came last, Simon receives no return on his bet, for a net loss of 2.5 points on this question.

Final Scores
mobius - 8.83
bsmith - 8.82
grams88 - 8.25
namida - 8.10
Crane - 7.72
Minim - 6.25
Simon - 5.93
geoo - 5.84

Thank you for playing! If anyone else would like to host a feud, drop me a PM, otherwise I'll put another one up at some point in the next few days.

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 29, 2015, 02:29:14 AM »
Okay, I guess it's time to put a new round up... the theme this time will be science!

Standard-Scoring Questions
1. Name a subatomic particle.
2. Name a noble gas.
3. Name a chemical element that, in its pure form, is not solid at room temperature.
4. Name a chemical element that does not occur naturally.
5. Name a famous scientist (whether currently alive or historical).
6. Name a sub-field of science.
7. Name a well-known scientific formula.

Inverse-Scoring Questions
8. Name a noble gas that has at least one stable isotope.
9. Name an invention made by Edison.
10. Name one of the SI base units.

We all know how popular nuclear bombs are in the feud, so let's play with them! For this feud's special scoring questions, you are living during a worldwide nuclear war!
As with the previous feud, the special scoring questions' scores is seperate from the main feud score; the rules for conversion will be listed at the end.

11. You are standing on a road, at an initial position of your choice (represented by a number between 1 and 100). You see a nuclear missile incoming. You need to seek a fallout shelter. You can either build your own, at a cost of 5 points, or you can seek shelter in someone else's, which costs only 1 point. For every other person who uses your fallout shelter, you gain 2 points. Which fallout shelter someone goes to when seeking them is determined by which one is closest to their position. For example, if two people - whose positions were 35 and 65 - decided to build shelters, and someone at position 55 seeks someone else's shelter, they will go into the shelter at 65. Two shelters cannot be built at the same position; if this happens, both players will be required to pick a new position which cannot be the same.

If no shelters are built at all, everyone dies and the special-scoring questions are terminated with no gain or loss of points to anyone.

12. The nuclear blast has struck, but you survived. Now it's time to strike back. All players are asked to vote for one of three options; the most popular option wins, and those who voted for it get 1 point each. The options are: Tactical nuclear strikes against the enemy's military facilities; a shock-value strike against a civilian target; or an experimental anti-matter bomb that would wipe the enemy's entire country off the map... if it works.

13. Finally, it's time to see if our option worked. For this, we need a random number seed just like in the last feud, so provide any number from 0 to 999. This will be used, on the same site, to generate a single random number between 1 and 100. The impact of the result depends on which option was chosen in question 12:

Tactical strikes
> 1 ~ 25: One facility is hit, and everyone gains 2 points.
> 26 ~ 50: Two facilities are hit, and everyone gains 3 points.
> 51 ~ 75: Three facilities are hit, and everyone gains 4 points.
> 76 ~ 100: Four facilities are hit, and everyone gains 6 points.

Civilian target
> 1 ~ 25: The shock over the attack prompts universal outrage from the international community, and the entire world turns against us. Everyone loses 5 points.
> 26 ~ 50: The target city turned out to have been evacuated. Nothing is gained or lost.
> 51 ~ 75: The attack caused a significant impact on the enemy's morale. Everyone gains 5 points.
> 76 ~ 100: The attack provoked an immediate and total surrender from the enemy. Everyone gains 10 points.

Antimatter weapon
> 1 ~ 25: The weapon is far more powerful than anyone imagined, and destroys the entire world. Everyone loses 15 points.
> 26 ~ 50: The weapon accidentally detonates before launch, killing all players. Everyone loses 10 points.
> 51 ~ 75: The weapon fails. Nothing is gained or lost.
> 76 ~ 100: The enemy is completely obliterated, and no other country will dare to mess with that bomb. Everyone gains 30 points.

Conversion to standard feud score
4 points on these questions = 1 feud point. However, the maximum gain or loss cannot exceed 3 points; if it would, then all gains/losses are scaled down as needed.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 04:47:19 AM by Quizmaster »