Author Topic: Family Feud 2015  (Read 139940 times)

Offline 607

• View Profile
Re: Family Feud 2015
« Reply #180 on: July 15, 2015, 11:47:22 AM »
It's a bit late, but can I still get an entry in today?

Offline Quizmaster

• We have asked 100 people...
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 15, 2015, 02:24:55 PM »
Yes you can.  Submissions have been slowly trickling in so I'm letting this round open longer than last time.

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 19, 2015, 09:34:30 AM »
Hey, I forgot who hosted the previous round, but could that person tell me how you calculated the scores for the darts game? I've been trying to find a way, but I don't think I understand either the arithmetic average or the distance between two coordinates.
Help would be hugely appreciated!

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 19, 2015, 03:15:50 PM »
Using the actual points chosen:  (0,05, -0.05),  (-0,05, 0.05), (0,0), (0,0), (0,0), (0,0).
First to find the cluster center, I just take linear average, which is [(0,05, -0.05)  +  (-0,05, 0.05) + (0,0) + (0,0) + (0,0) + (0,0)]/6 = (0,0).
Because the cluster center is exactly the same as one of the points chosen, the shortest distance is 0.  Then anybody not on the center scores 0/(some distance) = 0.

To use the example points A(0.4,0.9), B(-0.1,-0.5), C(0.6,0.2): The cluster center is [(0.4,0.9) + (-0.1,-0.5) + (0.6,0.2)]/3 = (0.3, 0.2).
Point A distance is sqrt[(0.4-0.3)^2+(0.9-0.2)^2] = 0.7071
Point B distance is sqrt[(-0.1-0.3)^2+(-0.5-0.2)^2] = 0.8062
Point C distance is sqrt[(0.6-0.3)^2+(0.2-0.2)^2] = 0.3
The shortest distance is 0.3, then A scores 0.3/0.7071 = 0.4243, B scores 0.3/0.8062 = 0.3721, and C scores 0.3/0.3 = 1.

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 19, 2015, 03:51:24 PM »
Colorful Feud results:

1. Name a real person who has a nickname/alias containing the word 'Black'.  (Submissions should include both the character name and the 'black' nickname.)
1 pt - Black Widow (Natalia Romanova) - NaOH, Crane
1/2 pt - Jack Black (Thomas Jacob Black) - Akseli
1/2 pt - Rebecca Black - geoo
1/2 pt - The Black Dahlia (Elizabeth Short) - 607
0 pt - none - namida

2. Name an animal with brown fur.
1 pt - Bear - NaOH, Akseli, 607, Crane
1/4 pt - Capybara - namida
1/4 pt - Fox - geoo

3. Name a character in 'Little Red Riding Hood' other than the title character.
1 pt - The Wolf - namida, NaOH, Akseli, 607, Crane
1/5 pt - Grandma - geoo

4. Other than an orange, name a food which is orange in color.
1 pt - Carrot - namida, Akseli
1/2 pt - Orange Peppper - NaOH
1/2 pt - Grapefruit - geoo
1/2 pt - Mandarin - 607
1/2 pt - Tangerine - Crane

5. Name a roadsign which uses yellow paint.
1 pt - Caution - geoo, 607
1/2 pt - Slippery when wet - namida
1/2 pt - Zig-zag road - NaOH
1/2 pt - Slow - Akseli
1/2 pt - Bend ahead - Crane

6. Name a type of evergreen plant.
1 pt - Pine - NaOH, geoo
1/2 pt - Cannabis - namida
1/2 pt - Palm tree - Akseli
1/2 pt - Grass - 607
1/2 pt - Fir tree - Fir Tree

7. Name an article of clothing in your closet/wardrobe which is blue.
1 pt - Jeans - namida, NaOH, Akseli, 607
1/2 pt - Shirt - geoo, Crane

8. Name a nation whose flag contains purple.
1 pt - Dominica - NaOH, Akseli, geoo, 607
1/2 pt - Qatar - namida, Crane

9. Name a currently living celebrity with gray hair.
1 pt - Jamie Lee Curtis - NaOH, Akseli, 607
1/3 pt - Morgan Freeman - namida
1/3 pt - Christopher Walken - geoo
1/3 pt - Harrison Ford - Crane

10. Name a fictional character who has a nickname/alias containing the word 'white'.  (Submissions should include both the character name and the 'White' nickname.)
1 pt - Gandalf the White (Lord of the Rings) - NaOH, geoo
1 pt - Snow White (classic fairytale) - Akseli, 607
1/2 pt - The White Witch (The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe) - namida
1/2 pt - Charles Gray (Colonel White from Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons) - Crane

11. What is the most common carat rating of gold in jewelry.
1 pt - 18 carat - namida, NaOH, Crane
1 pt - 24 carat - Akseli, geoo, 607

12. Name a real-world application of silver. (Something in which silver provides some sort of crutial function as opposed to dining utensils and jewelry.)
1 pt - Solar Energy - namida, 607
1 pt - Conductors - NaOH, Crane
1/2 pt - Medal - Akseli
1/2 pt - Microelectronics - geoo

Grand Totals:
namida - 7.58
NaOH - 11
Akseli - 10
geoo - 7.78
607 - 10.5
Crane - 8.33

Congratuations to NaOH for another win!

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 19, 2015, 05:30:43 PM »
10. Name a fictional character who has a nickname/alias containing the word 'white'.  (Submissions should include both the character name and the 'White' nickname.)
1 pt - Gandalf the White (Lord of the Rings) - NaOH, geoo
1 pt - Snow White (classic fairytale) - Akseli, 607
1/2 pt - The White Witch (The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe) - namida
1/2 pt - Charles Gray (Colonel White from Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons) - Crane

This was the hardest question, in my opinion. I spent so long thinking about this one. Gandalf was literally the only remotely acceptable answer I could think of. Even then I wasn't comfortable with it; "The White" isn't really an alias, it's just part of his title. I never thought somebody else would pick this answer too.

* I'm not sure who hosted this one (My guess is Akseli because of the chemistry at the end?), but I liked the theme this time. Thanks for hosting! :thumbsup:

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 19, 2015, 05:40:06 PM »
I see my name is "Fir Tree" now - thanks mysterious Quizmaster!

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 20, 2015, 09:46:59 AM »
Wow, I did surprisingly well! :P
NaOH and Akseli, did you Google the grey hair as well? I had no idea, and thought nobody would choose the same.

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 20, 2015, 06:39:59 PM »
NaOH and Akseli, did you Google the grey hair as well?

Yes, I googled for celebrities with grey hair, eventually I settled on Jamie Lee Curtis as she was somebody I recognised.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 20, 2015, 06:49:42 PM »
As usual, IP address lookup allows members of Administrators and Global Moderators to determine the identity of QuizMaster, but it feels strange for me to reveal it that way so I'll leave that up to him/her.  I will simply say that it is not one of the "regulars", I don't think he/she has ever been on IRC for example.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 20, 2015, 08:59:30 PM »
For me personally, I remembered Harrison Ford as he's been in the news lately due to Star Wars and his plane crash injury.

Some of the questions and answers seem shaky, I feel, like while I did think of "Snow White" as an answer to question 10, that was her name and she didn't have a nickname that I'm aware of, so I thought she didn't count.  The only other one I thought of before settling on Colonel White (since that is a code-name and not his real surname) was Simo Häyhä, aka. White Death, which I couldn't choose because he wasn't a character, but a real person (look him up - he is one certified badass!)

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 20, 2015, 09:24:32 PM »
I have skipped commenting on some rounds yet again, oh well. Congratulations to NaOH for winning three last rounds in a row.

Q8 - I've always seen the flag of Qatar as brown-white. Now when I look at it again after your answers, I'm not that sure anymore. x_x

NaOH and Akseli, did you Google the grey hair as well? I had no idea, and thought nobody would choose the same.

Q9 - Yes, my answer was purely based on google searching. :P Barack Obama would have been my second answer.

Q10 - Crane: I really didn't come up with anything else than Snow White, even when trying to google search over and over again. :lem-mindblown:

As usual, IP address lookup allows members of Administrators and Global Moderators to determine the identity of QuizMaster

This was possible for global moderators in the previous forum, not in this forum anymore though. Namida reduced the power of moderators quite a lot, saying that moderators on the previous forum had almost admin-level powers. :P

Offline bsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 22, 2015, 04:01:52 AM »
I'm the current Quizmaster and how I made the latest round of questions was this - I started with the resistor color code sequence and did some word associations, then for most of the colors I made questions that matched the word I came up with.

My original list went like this: black=the pirate Blackbeard, brown=bear, red=Little Red Riding Hood, orange=carrot, yellow=road sign, green=pine tree, blue=pants, purple=???, grey=hair, white=wolf (specifically the nickname 'White Wolf' for Geralt from The Witcher series), gold=jewelry, silver=superconductor metal.  Purple was the only color I did not have a good association, so I stuck the flag question there.

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 22, 2015, 05:32:27 PM »
Get your dictionary! It is an Alphabetic Feud!

Standard Scoring Questions
1. State a word beginning and ending with 'A'.
2. State a three letter word with two 'E's.
3. State a word ending in 'I'.
4. State a word with two 'O's that are not consecutive.
5. State a word beginning with 'U' but not the prefix 'UN'.
6. State a word using 'Y' as a vowel in a location other than the end of the word.
7. State a word with at least two sets of double letters. (The 'tt' in 'letters' is one such double.)
8. State a word with at least four occurrances of the same letter.
9. State a four letter palindrome.

Special Scoring Minigame
10. Alphabet Fishing
- Each player gives a list of 10 different letters of the alphabet to fish for.  Initially the letter pool contains all 26 letters. 
- In round 1 everyones first letter is removed from the pool.  It is okay if two or more players chose the same letter in the same round. 
- In round 2 everyones second letter is removed from the pool but if a player's letter was already removed, that player is eliminated.  Then the remaining players go to round 3. 
- This continues until everybody is eliminated or all 10 rounds are played through.
- Each player's raw score is the number of letters they successfully fished out (rounds prior to elimination).  Final score is (player's raw score)/(best raw score).

Example game: Alex chooses ABCDEFGHIJ, Bert chooses KMFYQWZELT, Carl chooses LBAQHYUIOJ.
Round 1 - Alex fishes A, Bert fishes K, and Carl fishes L.
Round 2 - Alex fishes B, Bert fishes M, and Carl fishes B.
Round 3 - Alex fishes C, Bert fishes F, and Carl fishes A.  Carl is eliminated, raw score = 2.
Round 4 - Alex fishes D and Bert fishes Y.
Round 5 - Alex fishes E and Bert fishes Q.  (Since Carl is eliminated, his fourth round choice of Q did not come into play.)
Round 6 - Alex fishes F and Bert fishes W.  Alex is eliminated, raw score = 5.
Round 7 - Bert fishes Z.
Round 8 - Bert fishes E.  Bert is eliminated, raw score = 7.
Final scores: Alex = 5/7 = 0.714, Bert = 7/7 = 1, and Carl = 2/7 = 0.286.

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 26, 2015, 08:40:56 PM »
Interesting round but difficult as you have to think what words will other people use.  I used to play scrabble with my dad but have not been playing it lately instead we were playing worms armageddon. Got to love the worms. :)