Author Topic: Community Request: Find Backroutes!  (Read 46975 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Community Request: Find Backroutes!
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 10:14:09 PM »
There is a Pipe Dream currently in the pack by Shvegait, but I'm thinking about removing that one. It's not outstanding and has some similarities to other levels. Pipe Dream isn't a bad name imo. Survival of the fittest is a nice name too.

Here are a few new levels for testing purposes, if you play them could you give me an idea to their difficulty?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72760678/newLevels.zip
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 10:23:38 PM »
I can't actually move the trapdoor closer to the wall because it makes the intended solution impossible.  I've played around with the chain a bit more in the hope I can make something work.  Fingers crossed.

I'm not planning on submitting "Lemming Pattern Baldness" to the community pack, as its quirk is very similar to the one used in "Don't leave me hanging".

Alternative names so far:

- Pipe Dream:  Overflow
- Mastermind:  Survival of the Fittest

I'll take a look at the maps you provided.  I have a couple of things to send to you too.

P.S. You are right that every official solution should use all of the tools (it's possible to complete JAILBREAK! in regular Lemmini without the Floater though).

ERROR: Incorrect version of Mastermind uploaded - see updated attachment below.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 11:27:06 PM »
Here are my solutions to the new levels.  To play the replays, just run a fresh copy of SuperLemmini, add the external level, and then load the replay.

- Everything you don't need:  And four things I do need!  Requires some precise timing and positioning.  Blocker placement can unfortunately trap lemmings in the steel wall sometimes, and stopping the lemmings from interfering with the final builder can get annoying, whether you're trying to use a delay tactic or by bridging the tunnel in such a way that the blocker can blow a hole through it.

- From The Brink:  Nice little puzzle level.  Easy to use too many blockers or bombers.

- Hey that's not cool guys:  I should have known there were compressors there - the terrain even gave me clues!  My solution at least is possibly a little glitchy, since I utilise a basher's back-swing to stop a Climber.

- I am I.S. (Part 2):  Aah, always love homages to "I am A.T.".  The miner-in-the-one-way-wall trick in SuperLemmini is much more generous, since it works in places other than the top of a wall, and hence I was able to save 100% by using excess miners on stragglers.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2014, 03:39:26 AM »
Sorry, I uploaded an old .LVL file by mistake - I was wondering why the size was so small.  This is the correct one for "Mastermind".

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2014, 06:52:52 PM »
@Crane: Next set of backroutes :P. There are two replays of Mastermind, which differ only in the second half of the solution. For Jailbreak note, that I haven't used the floater. Thus there is still quite some flexibility in my solution to adapt to your backroute fixes.

@Mobius: Some replays for you as well. I did not play "Everything you don't need" because I remember that the solution requires an insane amount of precision. "Brink" and "Cool Guys" are good puzzles (though I don't know whether my solutions are quite intended), but "I am I.S." is slightly annoying, because the last miner creates a wall when hitting the steel, that lets other lemmings turn around.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 08:22:15 PM »
Okay, I'm trying something a little different for JAILBREAK! this time, but if you're still able to work around the obstruction, then I may have to consider the level broken and withdraw it until I can work out how best to resolve it.

Pipe Dream was relatively straightforward to fix and still looks fairly neat.  Mastermind I hope is now fixed too (and I have to be careful because several times I've hit 400 terrain pieces!)

Intricate levels always need the most work.

P.S. The obstruction in JAILBREAK! may need lowering slightly, but it depends if it's possible to get around it with the Builders you have.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2014, 08:59:39 PM »
Pipe Dream was relatively straightforward to fix and still looks fairly neat.  Mastermind I hope is now fixed too (and I have to be careful because several times I've hit 400 terrain pieces!)

Pretty sure the 400-piece limit only applies to Lemmix / DOS. I'm fairly sure Lemmini can handle more than that, and know for sure SuperLemmini and NeoLemmix can (NeoLemmix's limit is 1000, while I don't think SuperLemmini has any limit).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2014, 01:09:36 AM »
I think I backrouted "From the Brink", since Nepster's replay ends with 1 Climber and 1 Floater remaining, while my replay concludes with 3 Climbers, 2 Floaters, 3 Blockers and a Basher remaining.  Even if you make it splat distance below that lower container, you can switch out the Bomber for a Basher followed by a Blocker (and another Climber if you need a Lemming to break out of the horde).

My solution of "Hey, that's not cool guys" is glitchy at best, whereas Nepster's looks like the intended solution, assuming the Climber and Floaters are red herrings.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2014, 11:03:31 PM »
Jailbreak: Sorry, but here yet another solution that is unlikely to be intended. I definitely think that this level could become very interesting, so please don't withdraw it forever.
Pipe Dream: Not much difference to before. In addition a completely different solution. Btw is there any chance to add some steel pieces to the bubble style in SuperLemmini? It was a nasty surprise, when I first hit the steel area in this level.
Mastermind: Could you please check, whether you uploaded the correct version? It seems that all my previous solutions to this level should work here as well.

Cool Guys: If my solution is indeed the intended one, then I would recommend removing one basher. This would (hopefully) force the player to add another slight twist to the solution.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2014, 11:09:53 PM »
Oops, that was an ANCIENT version of Mastermind.  I should probably delete that one.  Anyhow, here is the correct version.

It looks like JAILBREAK! is almost fixed.  If that platform that you mine through is metal, would that fix it?

As for Pipe Dream... sorry about the steel area.  I hoped I could get away with it considering there's a trap there.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2014, 11:22:25 PM »
Jailbreak: Sorry, but here yet another solution that is unlikely to be intended. I definitely think that this level could become very interesting, so please don't withdraw it forever.
Pipe Dream: Not much difference to before. In addition a completely different solution. Btw is there any chance to add some steel pieces to the bubble style in SuperLemmini? It was a nasty surprise, when I first hit the steel area in this level.
Mastermind: Could you please check, whether you uploaded the correct version? It seems that all my previous solutions to this level should work here as well.

Cool Guys: If my solution is indeed the intended one, then I would recommend removing one basher. This would (hopefully) force the player to add another slight twist to the solution.

I will be adding steel to the bubble set.
I also concur, that Jailbreak looks to be a very cool levle, don't withdraw it, even if you have the change the ultimate solution a little.
Without looking I doubt your solution to Hey that's not cool is intended. The actual solution is not glitchy at all and (very) deceptively simple. This is sort of a hint but; it only works in SuperLemmini. You need to use both bashers.
I still need to look at all the replays...

@ Cran; I'm not able to watch your replays, or Nepster I'm sorry but would you mind uploading them again when you have time? or just describe the solution to me
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2014, 11:32:10 PM »
Unless I'm mistaken, to play my replays, all I did was load SuperLemmini, add the relevant external level, and then load the replay.  It sort of requires closing and re-opening SuperLemmini each time though.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2014, 01:30:11 AM »
Okay, try these for size.  The correct version of Mastermind can be found above.  By the way, how do I access the metal pieces for the bubble tileset?  I used Lemmix before, and have just started using the NeoLemmix editor now.

- Pipe Dream now has a couple of extra suction traps near the start.
- The starting platform on JAILBREAK! is now steel.

Mastermind can be found a few posts up.

EDIT: Suddenly I'm wary of NeoLemmix... it corrupted my version of JAILBREAK! and I had to re-do my changes in Lemmix.  Fixed.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2014, 04:18:35 AM »
Okay, try these for size.  The correct version of Mastermind can be found above.  By the way, how do I access the metal pieces for the bubble tileset?  I used Lemmix before, and have just started using the NeoLemmix editor now.

-----
EDIT: Suddenly I'm wary of NeoLemmix... it corrupted my version of JAILBREAK! and I had to re-do my changes in Lemmix.  Fixed.

Add them to your SuperLemminiStyles folder before compiling the style. The NeoLemmix Editor doesn't yet have support for SuperLemmini's mods feature, which (I'd imagine) is how the pieces are being added.

As for the corruption - can you send me the corrupted version and tell me what exactly it had done that it shouldn't've, so that I can find the source of the problem? (And also whether you were using the "Lemmini" or "SuperLemmini" style mode). It's possible some issues (especially if it's traditional Lemmini) have slipped under the radar, as the editor so far has mostly only been used for NeoLemmix levels.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2014, 04:56:07 AM »
Oh, I deleted the corrupted version, but I will try to re-create it.  Basically a large number of terrain pieces disappeared.  (This is the Brick tileset)  I was using Superlemmini mode after following the install instructions on the website.