Author Topic: Battle of the Spin-offs  (Read 2160 times)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
Battle of the Spin-offs
« on: October 24, 2014, 03:22:41 AM »
Well, there's been a lot of polls and poll-revivals lately, and I was curious about this, so here goes. ;)

The Lemmings series is often said to have a lot of spin-offs, but it actually only has two! The rest are "main" entries.

I was just wondering which is everyone's favourite of the spin-offs, and why?

My own vote has to go to Lomax. I like platform games, and it's a great example of the now-extinct European platformer - a type of game once seen both on home-computers (something that held just as much sway in the UK and Europe at one time as consoles did) and consoles, which tended to differ in structure a fair bit from platformers of Japanese descent of the same era. They were easy to pick up, often marked out by very good visuals, music, and atmosphere, and tended to become brutal later on (and had quite a different sort of difficulty curve to Japanese platformers, or platformers made in that style), but would wind down towards the end, and usually didn't have fancy ending sequences. Lomax has all of these things, of course, and to the best of my knowledge, may actually have been the very last game of its kind! I also liked the focus on one individual lemming from a particular tribe, as well as the vague hints from some of the locations he visits that could be interpreted as pointing to other tribes possibly having formed (an idea I always liked).

Online namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Battle of the Spin-offs
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 03:50:58 AM »
I haven't played Lomax too extensively, but given that I quite like platformers, that probably says a bit about how much I did or didn't like it. It just feels kind of strange for Lemmings.

On the other hand, while not nearly as great as the main games, Lemmings Paintball was kind of fun in my opinion. I need to properly play it some time; I've only ever played the demo.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 03:53:02 AM »
Sadly, I've never played either of these, although I have seen some screenshots and heard some of the soundtrack. (I still think Lemmings 3D has the best soundtrack of any of the titles other than L1, though.) Nonetheless, I'm very curious to see how this poll will turn out; I haven't heard much about people's opinions on these spin-offs.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 09:57:07 AM »
The Lomax music (youtube) is very nice. *rotating hamster*

-- Simon