Author Topic: Zendo, play by forum  (Read 201267 times)

Online Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Zendo, play by forum
« Reply #345 on: June 09, 2015, 11:16:29 PM »
Funny time to drop extra hints, when the game has started to move again after a lull. If no-one posted for a few days, then you'd have every reason to think we might need a bit of help.

SUQ
GGGGGGMIGHTY
MIGHTYYYYYYY
MIGHTZZZZZ
EEEEFIRE
IIIIFIRE

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #346 on: June 10, 2015, 04:10:06 AM »
White:
SUQ
MIGHTYYYYYYY
IIIIFIRE

Black:
GGGGGGMIGHTY
MIGHTZZZZZ
EEEEFIRE

The reason I thought to drop the hints is that we'd only had a small number of guesses since that lull, only one of which was a white koan. :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 10, 2015, 04:21:49 PM »
Hmm. I had an idea while I was swimming today, but now I look back, it doesn't quite fit everything so far. Still, I suspect it's close.

Theory: Length must be at least 3, and must be a factor of (alphabetic position - 1) of the most common letter. If multiple letters occur as the most common, the first appearing in the koan is the one that counts.

The following koans are the only ones so far that don't fit this rule:

white -- rule predicts black
FIRE
GAME
RIFE
SITE
SPAM
ZYA

black -- rule predicts white
FIREQ
FIRES
FIREY
FIRST
GIT
MIGHTYMIGHTY

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #348 on: June 11, 2015, 03:41:47 PM »
It's on the right track. (alphabetic position - 1) definitely does have something to do with it, as does factors of the length, but most common letter does not - however, thinking about that might lead you to the correct answer.

I would mention that one thing I previously stated would contradict your theory - that in the case of anagrams, the status won't change unless the first letter changes. Thus (ignoring all other elements but the most common letter thing), your theory would suggest ABBCC and ACCBB could possibly have a different outcome; but they could not as the first letter is unchanged. However, ABBCC and CCABB possibly could.

(For the record, all four of those example koans are, in fact, black.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #349 on: June 14, 2015, 03:23:12 PM »
Hm... gone quiet again. Maybe I should follow Proxima's suggestion and use times like this to drop a hint...

In fact, no. I'll drop part (albeit a minor part) of the rule.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #350 on: June 18, 2015, 08:06:03 PM »
Is it safe to say people have given up on this one?

If we go a couple days more without much interest, I'll reveal the rule, and someone else can make another round (or perhaps I'll do one with a simpler rule).
My Lemmings projects

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #351 on: June 19, 2015, 01:52:42 PM »
I'd lean towards ending the game, too.

It is common for new masters to make rules too hard on accident. You have noticed this surprisingly early, and then handled it really well by offering hints or an early end. It's much better this way than attempting to change the secret rule mid-game.

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #352 on: June 19, 2015, 02:49:18 PM »
Okay well,

The rule was:
Assigning each letter a number, where A = 0, B = 1 etc, a koan of at least three letters is white if the quantity of letters who's numbers are integer multiples of the length is equal or greater than the quantity of letters that are not, with the first letter being counted twice if it is a multiple.

If no one else wants to take the next game, I have an idea for a not-so-complicated rule. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 19, 2015, 03:56:06 PM »
I've reread that rule like five times, but I still don't really get it :confused:

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 19, 2015, 04:10:16 PM »
I'll go next, since I at least got closer than anyone else :P

EVEN has the Buddha-nature.
ODD does not have the Buddha-nature.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #355 on: June 19, 2015, 04:17:33 PM »
EVAN
EVIN
EVON
EVUN
OOD
DDO
NEVE
My Lemmings projects

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 19, 2015, 04:19:37 PM »
White:
EVEN
NEVE

Black:
DDO
EVAN
EVIN
EVON
EVUN
ODD
OOD

Offline Ramon

• View Profile
    • JRK Studios
« Reply #357 on: June 19, 2015, 04:33:15 PM »
EE
NN
VV
EVE
NEV
NEVER
GIVE
UP

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 19, 2015, 04:35:53 PM »
Asked and answered in chat: all anagrams of "EVEN" have the buddha-nature.

White:
EE
EVE
NN
NEVER
VV

Black:
DDO
EVAN
EVIN
EVON
EVUN
GIVE
NEV
ODD
OOD
UP

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #359 on: June 19, 2015, 04:51:19 PM »
EEVEE
SEE
EAGER
EEL
PETER
My Lemmings projects