Author Topic: [iOS] Meerkatz Challenge - Lemmings game  (Read 4048 times)

Hunde Anlainen

[iOS] Meerkatz Challenge - Lemmings game
« on: July 28, 2014, 03:13:33 PM »
I recently searched for lemmings in the AppStore and found this awesome lemmings game with really cute meerkats. The levels are challenging and make fun.  :thumbsup:

iTunes link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/meerkatz-challenge/id732854001?mt=8

Gameplay Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWKjsGWKOB8

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
Re: [iOS] Meerkatz Challenge - Lemmings game
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 08:16:32 PM »
I recently searched for lemmings in the AppStore and found this awesome lemmings game with really cute meerkats. The levels are challenging and make fun.  :thumbsup:

iTunes link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/meerkatz-challenge/id732854001?mt=8

Gameplay Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWKjsGWKOB8

My Lemming Lass Senses tell me that perhaps you're involved with the game, rather than having found it? You should've just told us so - we really wouldn't have minded. ;)

Given how Sony treats the Lemmings franchise, I don't think anyone here is averse to more folks releasing and promoting Lemmings-like stuff, and telling us about it.

I agree with your promotional post on MacRumors, incidentally - the meerkats are cute as hell. Also, it's really nice to see a company who dislikes in-game extra-payment cons - I hope more folks follow your example in the future.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to try it out, as I own no iOS devices (they don't work with my operating system of choice; I'm no longer a Mac user as the above might suggest ;) ). Any plans for an Android release?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 10:46:57 PM »
Also, it's really nice to see a company who dislikes in-game extra-payment cons - I hope more folks follow your example in the future.

While I do understand how the way some freemium games work has give a bad name to in-game payments, do keep in mind that on the opposite extreme, not having even a free trial at all will almost certainly automatically shut out a percentage of people who simply is not willing to commit financially to a game sight unseen, especially from essentially a new publisher with no history of previous published apps.  (Word of mouth may help somewhat, but you have a perfect example here where Prob Lem may otherwise be a potential customer even at given price, except not possible as she doesn't own an iOS device.)  Especially in the mobile app space where you will more likely be competing with free/freemium apps (as well as lower-priced apps).  I'd say it is a complex issue overall, and as an app publisher you'll likely want to experiment with different pricing models and closely monitor user feedback and acquisition/usage statistics to get a sense of what works best.  Especially something to keep in mind if you do end up porting to Android platform, as I think studies have shown people on that platform are less likely to pay (be it upfront or in-app) compare to iOS.  In any case best of luck!  The video does look cool.  8)

[And yeah, I think this forum is leaning heavily towards Android at the moment, I'm not even sure if we know anyone here who owns an iPhone or iPad.]

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 11:23:09 PM »
Also, it's really nice to see a company who dislikes in-game extra-payment cons - I hope more folks follow your example in the future.

While I do understand how the way some freemium games work has give a bad name to in-game payments, do keep in mind that on the opposite extreme, not having even a free trial at all will almost certainly automatically shut out a percentage of people who simply is not willing to commit financially to a game sight unseen, especially from essentially a new publisher with no history of previous published apps.  (Word of mouth may help somewhat, but you have a perfect example here where Prob Lem may otherwise be a potential customer even at given price, except not possible as she doesn't own an iOS device.)
I should note, I did specifically mean (as you guessed) the "freemium"/"free-to-play"/"pay-to-win" model. I also think demo versions are very important, for software not taking part in the aforementioned rip-off models. :)

[And yeah, I think this forum is leaning heavily towards Android at the moment, I'm not even sure if we know anyone here who owns an iPhone or iPad.]
Myself, I know only two people overall, anywhere, who have either of these, but that's all. I shall mention it to them.

Hunde Anlainen

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 03:33:03 PM »
Well yeah, you've found me out. I am involved with the game! Sorry, I thought you wouldn't allow the thread  :thumbsup:

How would we go about some promo codes around here? Just post them inside the thread or do you have some other kind of procedure?

Greetz!

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 07:40:26 PM »
Promotion for Lemmings-like games are generally okay to post here, feel free to just continue posting on the thread.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 10:05:03 PM »
Well yeah, you've found me out. I am involved with the game! Sorry, I thought you wouldn't allow the thread  :thumbsup:
Not being staff, I can only speak as a fan, but the way the current owner, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, handles the Lemmings series* does, as far as I can tell, tend to make us appreciate good Lemmings-like releases on a variety of other platforms. :D I definitely welcome it, at any rate - it's always good to get more releases in the Save 'em Up genre.

*(I think it's perfectly fair to say that they neglect it, really - they've released, I believe, four Lemmings titles since they stopped operating Psygnosis as a separate company in 2000. And the one time they released a supposedly all-new game recently, almost half the levels were from the 1991 original and it had some very broken new mechanics.)

How would we go about some promo codes around here? Just post them inside the thread or do you have some other kind of procedure?

Greetz!
It may be worth dropping a PM to one of the moderators and double-check - Clam and geoo are around often, for example. I'm not actually sure that it's come up before. (I mean, we did get that one guy who I'm guessing was from Team17, who made one post to promote their upcoming Lemmings-like, Flockers, but to my knowledge they never came back after that.)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 12:46:07 AM »
Yeah, feel free to post promo codes here if you want.
If it's a one-per-person thing you might consider asking around who wants one and then send private messages to those people, though that will probably reduce your chances a bit due to general shyness and outside people having to register here in order to respond.

Hunde Anlainen

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 11:44:19 AM »
We'll just do it the easy way then! Everyone who wants a key, send me a pm with a number between 1-100. I'll run the contestant numbers through a randomizer and send you a key. Runtime: 24hours starting... Right now :)

P.S. I've only got 2 keys left... Max. 1 key awarded per contestant. Sry for not giving away more, but app store regulations will only allow a max. of 100 keys per update and we've just launched. These things are a scarce resource :/