Author Topic: SEGA style and levels for DOS / Lemmix  (Read 9100 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: SEGA style for DOS / Lemmix
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2014, 08:40:48 PM »
I'm still amazed that there was ever any controversy about that level - I never even heard of the faintest hint of it until I found The Complete History of Lemmings... Then again, as those writings themselves attest to, the UK is a secular country, so it's unsurprising that I never knew of it myself until reading about it all these years later.

Heh. I remember when I was about 5 or so, playing that level (well, the PC version, so "All The 6's" I'm meaning here), my grandparents said they really didn't like me playing that one and suggested I should play a different level instead. Their knowledge of the concept of having to pass one level to get to the next was about equal to my knowledge of why there was anything "wrong" with that level, there again, they are the obsessive religious type.

Earlier today, I played the PC (well, Amiga really) versions of the special levels' replacements. I knew they had more restrictive stats/skills than the Master System ones (especially Taxing 15), but I didn't expect them to be as hard as they were. Still not too hard, but still, far more than I expected. I actually reckon Mayhem 22 was the easiest of them. :P On Sega, I always found Tricky 14 to be the hardest of the four by far, whereas on these versions I'd say Taxing 15 is harder... I'm fairly sure my solution was a backroute.

EDIT: Okay, the differences between the PC version and Sega version graphic sets would make remaking Sixes Not either overly difficult or not play much like the original, so I think I'm going to skip that one... xD Or I could maybe do it as a VGASPEC... in fact, yeah, I like that idea. (EDIT: DONE! It's not perfect color-wise, but it'll do - I had to change the white to a red because otherwise the lava along the bottom looked plain awful.)

EDIT: Sega Five isn't far off either (guess you were right, Prob Lem :P ). I've done all the major parts of it; just got to add the pipes, huge SEGA texts and the grass lumps. And set the stats. So goddamn fiddly with all those little platforms; I'm glad it's the *only* Sega level that's like it is. xD
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: SEGA style for DOS / Lemmix
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 02:28:57 AM »
Sega Five! :D

Which now means that all of them are done! I'll upload them on the first page (in the second post, since first post's attachments are full). Check there to download them. As a bonus, I'm also including "Sixes Not!" and "Stepping Stones". :)

(EDIT: In this topic, I released a Lemmix player (traditional, not NeoLemmix) with these levels as well as a lot of other (mostly Genesis) version-exclusives.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: SEGA style and levels for DOS / Lemmix
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2014, 03:45:03 AM »
The style has been updated to include the object types I'm adding to all styles - pre-placed lemmings, pickup skills, and secret area triggers.

Obviously these object types don't work outside of NeoLemmix, but they won't make the style incompatible with older engines either. If you try to use a level that contains the objects in an engine that doesn't support them, all that will happen is that those objects will do nothing.
My Lemmings projects