Author Topic: Stuck in Rubix' levelpack, Sinister 12  (Read 3482 times)

Offline Ramon

• View Profile
    • JRK Studios
Stuck in Rubix' levelpack, Sinister 12
« on: February 19, 2014, 06:46:57 PM »
Hello

I've recently found out about Lix and I was hooked by the game since I first tried it. It really gives a 100% Lemmings-feeling, despite the new custom graphics, style and interface. Really well done!

As with Lemmings I'm trying to solve all the included levels one by one and I started with Rubix' set. Currently, I'm stuck at Sinister 12 ("Its the race against riches"). I just can't see how this level is solvable, so perhaps I thought there might have been a mistake or something has been overseen/mistakenly changed after the level's creation/testing.
My attempts so far have included searching for a secret exit, trying to get all the lemmings together to be able to bat them over the abyss at once (but then I'm not sure how I'm supposed to open up the rock in front of the lemmings before they all reach it) and perhaps finding a suitable path under the bridge; all to no avail.

If the level is supposed to be set up this way (with 1 Climber, 1 Walker, 3 Miners and 1 Batter available), I'd appreciate some hints on solving this particular level (no solutions please).  :)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck in Rubix' levelpack, Sinister 12
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 08:11:58 PM »
I just played the level and can confirm it is solvable. It's not quite how I remember it, but then again it's probably the way it is now because of backroutes I found in earlier versions :) (I seem to recall doing something like what you described in the first version).

One thing I notice is that there appears to be a tiny overhang in the mound before the exit, but you can climb over it. It's a quirk in the high-res terrain model.

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 09:06:58 PM »
Hi Ramon.

Thanks for trying my maps!  And appreciate you not wanting the solution, and want to give it a good shot on your own.

I'll give you 1 hint that is crucial in the solve.
Release rate needs to be immediately set fastest possible!

Good luck. 

Need more hints, let me know.
(and by the way, its definitely harder than the difficulty rating is , its more like a late taxing feel.  Sorry)
Rubix

Offline Ramon

• View Profile
    • JRK Studios
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 11:07:01 PM »
Oh wow, thanks for the hints. The solutions seems so obvious now.  :sick:

It's weird because

Quote from: Spoiler
I actually tried mining down into the boxes before, but I probably started mining a bit too high and then I had the impression the Lixs wouldn't survive falling that remaining height without falling into the pit before it, so all my theories involved batting all the Lixs over at once, which obviously wouldn't work without containment skills...

I'm really liking this levelpack so far, and I do need to add I feel each difficulty corresponds to one higher Lemmings difficulty (so Pleasant would be on par with Tricky, Sinister with Taxing and so forth). Which obviously isn't a bad thing, just some external input from a casual Lemmingophile. ;)

Anyhow, I'll return and post here when I get stuck again.  :D Thank you guys so far.

(By the way, if you can recall I had been working on a SNES-interface Lemmings remake for PC a while ago. While that isn't really up-to-date anymore I was thinking of transferring all the levels I've made into Lix and building my own levelpack.)

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 12:12:45 AM »
If you can convert stuff to Lix it would be awsome.   Small community for the game currently, mainly because its still not officially released.
we mainly hang out on an irc chat channel , us lix fans.   Join if interested.  You might really enjoy the multiplayer!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 05:25:27 PM »
I've recently found out about Lix and I was hooked by the game since I first tried it. It really gives a 100% Lemmings-feeling, despite the new custom graphics, style and interface. Really well done!

Thank you. :-) This is so nice to read.

If you can convert stuff to Lix it would be awsome.   Small community for the game currently, mainly because its still not officially released.

My standard disclaimer: The game doesn't run flawlessly on each system. The currently used graphics/etc. library is getting outdated, and I do strange things, like having all graphcis in RAM, almost nothing in video memory. The game's level and terrain formats are openly readable and documented though, and the game can read .LVL, .DAT, and Lemmini .ini files.

we mainly hang out on an irc chat channel, us lix fans. Join if interested. You might really enjoy the multiplayer!

irc.quakenet.org #lix, or use webchat for people without an IRC program.

-- Simon