Author Topic: Remaining bits of level format  (Read 2094 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Remaining bits of level format
« on: September 24, 2013, 03:14:26 AM »
Looking at this old document here (heh, RT credits one of my old names, I remember digging up a lot of this stuff in the first place);

http://www.camanis.net/lemmings/files/docs/lemmings_lvl_file_format.txt

It seems to be missing some details. For example, how a level is marked as being/not being Superlemming style. I'm guessing it's to do with 1E and 1F? Does anyone have more info on those two bytes, or anything else this document doesn't cover?

EDIT: I've looked more at this. Superlemming is easy it seems - FF FF triggers it (nothing else seems to in Lemmix; haven't tried the original). I notice all the default levels have 00 00 here (apart from Introducing Superlemming, of course); but those created in LemEdit have random stuff there. Any idea what (if anything) it means?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Remaining bits of level format
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 09:40:12 PM »
EDIT: I've looked more at this. Superlemming is easy it seems - FF FF triggers it (nothing else seems to in Lemmix; haven't tried the original). I notice all the default levels have 00 00 here (apart from Introducing Superlemming, of course); but those created in LemEdit have random stuff there. Any idea what (if anything) it means?

I believe LemEdit is putting its version number in there, perhaps so that it is easy to find out for debugging purposes which version of LemEdit a level is created from (back when LemEdit is the only game in town).  I suspect the author of LemEdit didn't realize that field is actually in use in ONML and thought it can be repurposed for his own needs.

Of course, it is all speculation and educating-guessing-based-on-observations on my part though, and from years ago at that, so take it with a grain of salt.