Author Topic: I have a(n) idea/proposal... hopefully this hasn't been done/brought up yet...  (Read 2928 times)

Offline lemmaniack133

• View Profile
Hey, everyone! I've replied to a few comments and posts on the forums before but asides from a few replies, I've never really made my name heard on here. So, if you may, let me briefly introduce myself:

I'm Kevin; you can call me that, KT (periods optional), or by my username, lemmaniack133 (original, right? haha), and in my 18 years of living, Lemmings has ALWAYS been my classic game of choice :thumbsup:! The port/version I grew up with is the PC-DOS version, although I accidently broke that version when I was 6 or 7 (and it was CD-rom paired with ONML too! :'(), so my backup version is the SNES one. (My goal currently is to obtain the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive versions along with the PSP and PS2 versions [the latter is only available in PAL regions].)
The first hack, or "custom levelpack," I've played was Martin Zurlinden's Lemmings (MazuLems) for PC-DOS, along with a LemEdit pack made by someone named "Andreas" (this pack, for PC-DOS, can be found in Lemmings Universe). Since my discovery I've ALWAYS wanted to my own levels for fans to play; thanks to the magic of Lemmix and Lemmini, all of this was possible. I'm made some of my own levels already, and one of my levels (played and recorded by MikauSchekzen) is on YouTube already, entitled "One of Everything Please". I've made a few original levels and remakes but until recently, I've never actually recorded or pursued anything in that direction. With all of the recent events in the Lemmings world, I now feel motivated to create not just a levelpack but a new compiled game for everyone to enjoy ;).

So I recently reread Mike Dailly's "The Complete History of Lemmings", which, to a true Lemmings fan, is a fascinating read (here's the link for anyone who's interested: http://www.javalemmings.com/DMA/Lem_1.htm). Levels in the original Lemmings game was compiled by a team of people who designed the layout and strategy of each level. That being said, here's my proposed plan (finally! Haha):
I would love if we could make a lemmings fanpack composed of various levels made by the EXTREMELY talented level designers from this forum! After watching various custom level videos from YouTubers like Lacktardo, Pieuw, Gronkling, and MikauSchekzen and LPs of packs like DoveLems and PimoLems (special shoutout to roundthewheelrtw), I really would like to make a game just like the guys at DMA designs! If anyone is interested or would like more info about me or this project, by all means, please please PLEASE reply to this post. I'd enjoy hearing ideas, commentary, and anything else regarding this proposal. Can't wait to see what you'll say, and thanks for reading!

P.S. just to mention, my level designing is like Gary Timmons: I have a simple, puzzling level in mind but long story short, I SUCK at making levels look pretty and mine end up looking pretty empty beyond the lemmings's entrance and exit haha :XD:

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
Oh hey, you are checkitout134 from YouTube, hi! :thumbsup: I recognized you from your level "One of Everything Please", I've encountered that there. :)

I don't know if you're aware of this, but möbius had a similar idea a couple of months ago. Take a look at Lemmings Community Compilation Levelpack topic, and you are encouraged to contribute here as much as you want! :) Möbius has been in a break now for a few weeks, he might continue this project some time. But definitely if you have some thoughts, feel free to comment in that topic.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Well, I have created a couple of level packs somewhere around the forum, so you can count me in if you like. :) But as Akseli said, I think the Community Compilation Levelpack is obviously the one that we have been talking about within the past year and the one that you're looking for, unless you're looking for a big set of levels by just one level designer.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline lemmaniack133

• View Profile
I appreciate all of the responses so far (and bonus brownie points to Akseli for mentioning my YouTube username) haha  ;P.

I haven't looked at the entire post yet, but from what I could see, the project hasn't been active for about half a month (or specifically, the discussion regarding the project) but I personally wanted to make a game more like what the DMA designers had in mind; more or less like an expansion pack if you will.
I also didn't really like the restrictions of the rules on that post... I was just thinking that if you wanted to make new levels for this or submit in already-made levels, I'm totally okay with that. I also encourage the use the Christmas/Holiday Lemmings tileset as well as custom tilesets in composing this game.
Sadly though, I do have just one request though: NO level glitches! Seriously, out all of the levelpacks I've played, I've always hated the levels that had to be solved through the use of glitches. I don't think they're fun or interesting to use. :XD:

So, that's like my whole shpeel on this haha

Offline Luis

• View Profile
(My goal currently is to obtain the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive versions along with the PSP and PS2 versions [the latter is only available in PAL regions].)
There's really no point in buying these. The Sega levels can be downloaded from the database, unless you really want to play those levels on your TV with music and sound. The PSP/PS2 version had 36 unique levels, which can now be played on Lemmix, by downloading it from the database too. I put a lot of effort, in trying to make those levels as close to the real thing as possible.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
It sounds like you want to make a 'new' levelpack or game, with newly created levels Or mostly newly created.
That's fine, since the one Akseli and I are currently working on is to focus on old levels or levels that have been released and/or were previously only available in other programs like Cheapo.

I'd be glad to support your idea, I have levels I could contribute. It'll have to wait a little though as I'm busy doing this and other things currently.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
The PS3 version has 45 levels, which I believe are unique to it. They're not overly hard, but some are fairly fun. It's fairly cheap on the PSN store. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the original levels or a level editor.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)