Author Topic: I'm modifying Lemmini - any suggestions?  (Read 34007 times)

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
Re: I'm modifying Lemmini - any suggestions?
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2014, 04:06:48 AM »
Lemmus -- though it'd probably better be "true" to the originals to call it that though.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2014, 09:41:38 AM »
Am I late to the suggestion party? How about: LemminII (pronounced 'lemon two', not at all implying that the game is a lemon of course!)

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2014, 10:02:55 AM »
Some interesting suggestions:

+ Sega Master System unpublished levels
+ Lemmings 2 - The Tribes' Classic Levels
+ Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Levels
+ Santa Claus costume for Xmas/Holiday levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2014, 11:01:46 AM »
I'm pretty sure the only levels that are truly unique to the Sega Master System version are the five SEGA levels and their repeats, and Mayhem 17 (which is a repeat of Tricky 12, but fairly different from Mayhem 21 in the PC version)... the rest are just copied from the budget Amiga version, and already exist in LVL format (and thus can be easily converted to Lemmini). There are some other cases where names/positions are changed though (for example, Taxing 21 was moved to Mayhem 21, and given the name that the original Mayhem 21 has on PC).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2014, 01:17:11 AM »
"Lemmini: LF Edition"? :P
What is "LF" supposed to stand for? If it stands for "Lemmings Forums," then I don't think it's a good name; I'd rather not name it after a forum site.
Yeah, the "LF" was supposed to stand for Lemmings Forums, as a result of it having been posted about here. :P Fair enough, though. :thumbsup:

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2014, 02:39:31 AM »
Lemmus -- though it'd probably better be "true" to the originals to call it that though.
Yeah, this version of Lemmini isn't going to be 100% true to the originals since it will keep the doubled resolution and frame rate.

Am I late to the suggestion party? How about: LemminII (pronounced 'lemon two', not at all implying that the game is a lemon of course!)
I'm not sure that I like changing a letter to part of a Roman numeral.

I'll probably use "SuperLemmini" as the title unless someone suggests something that I like better.

What do you mean by "unpublished"?

+ Lemmings 2 - The Tribes' Classic Levels
I might make that a separate pack once I can rip them myself.

+ Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Levels
I'm going to release these as a separate pack alongside my version of Lemmini.

+ Santa Claus costume for Xmas/Holiday levels
I plan on making these sometime soon, although they won't be in the initial release.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2014, 03:45:29 AM »
For the Holiday Lemmings suggestion, why not just have an option of including lemming sprites as part of a style? Then, if no custom ones are found, it reverts to the default ones.

I should be able to throw together something to rip the holiday lemming sprites from H93/H94.

Also, I believe the L2 levels, even classic, are tile-based, unlike L1 which is based on elements at various positions. Therefore, a direct rip would be of no use, unless you expand the formats Lemmini supports; you'd be better off just remaking the levels.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2014, 09:35:29 PM »
here is my modifed styles folder for Lemmini, it has some [work-in-progress] new and fixed graphics + the Christmas graphics. I don't know if it will work for your new Lemmini since I don't know exactly what you changed but if you're interested let me know, and I'll post here again when I do anything more.

This works easily with Lemmix too btw, you just copy this folder into the appropriate one for Lemmix. I might be missing a step but it's nothing too complicated/hard to figure out by yourself (I did).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72760678/mobius-modified-styles.zip
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2014, 11:37:16 PM »
For the Holiday Lemmings suggestion, why not just have an option of including lemming sprites as part of a style? Then, if no custom ones are found, it reverts to the default ones.
My plan is to include them as a mod, which any level pack can activate without the player having to move files around. (The Genesis pack will also use the mod feature.)

Also, I believe the L2 levels, even classic, are tile-based, unlike L1 which is based on elements at various positions. Therefore, a direct rip would be of no use, unless you expand the formats Lemmini supports; you'd be better off just remaking the levels.
I looked at the Lemmings 2 level format, and it does look like I'm better off recreating the levels. At least I'll be able to make them in their original widths.

here is my modifed styles folder for Lemmini, it has some [work-in-progress] new and fixed graphics + the Christmas graphics. I don't know if it will work for your new Lemmini since I don't know exactly what you changed but if you're interested let me know, and I'll post here again when I do anything more.
I'm not going to add anything to the styles, and I'm going to be a bit conservative in how the graphics are modified. I might include some of your modified graphics in future versions of Lemmini, but not your additions. (Of course, anyone can use them in their own levels.)

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2014, 07:12:56 PM »

The Sega Master System version of Lemmings has 14 unique and exclusive levels, which replace the same amount of the Amiga original levels. Apart from the 10 "Sega #" levels, it has these other 4:

I don't know if they where published under other systems before, but someone ripped &/or adapted them some years ago for Lemmini. I have attached those levels in this post.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2014, 08:52:51 PM »
Those are the levels I'm referring to from the Budget Amiga version. =)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2014, 09:15:15 AM »
Those are the levels I'm referring to from the Budget Amiga version. =)

Sorry, I thought you were talking about other levels. Thanks for the information!  :thumbsup:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2014, 10:35:17 AM »
However, as I mentioned, that version also has a unique Mayhem 17, it has the same layout as PC version's Mayhem 21, but a different skillset and solution. (SMS's Mayhem 21 is the same as PC's Taxing 21, and SMS's Taxing 21 is one of the SEGA levels).
My Lemmings projects

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2014, 01:22:51 AM »

The Sega Master System version of Lemmings has 14 unique and exclusive levels, which replace the same amount of the Amiga original levels. Apart from the 10 "Sega #" levels, it has these other 4:

That's what I thought you meant. You said "unpublished," which usually means "unreleased," which certainly does not describe the Master System levels.

The four levels in your post will be included with my version of Lemmini, although they will be the Amiga versions, which differ in stats. (Actually, a number of other Master System levels have stats that differ from the original versions, and not all of those differences are explainable by the 20-lemming limit. I don't have a list of such levels, though.)

If no one objects to the "SuperLemmini" title, I'll go ahead and use that. I should have a version out in a few days.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2014, 04:52:31 AM »
Hm... a bit off topic, but Lemmini supports pixel-perfect positioning/sizing for steel and objects, right?
I'm just wondering if perhaps the easiest way to handle NeoLemmix's advanced features without writing a completely new editor, is to simply write a convertor to convert Lemmini levels to Extended LVL format... (Hm... but doesn't Lemmini have a higher resolution too?)
My Lemmings projects