Author Topic: Sound problem  (Read 3382 times)

Offline Leo

• View Profile
Sound problem
« on: June 04, 2013, 03:19:01 PM »
Can somebody explain to me what is this all about?
http://cd.textfiles.com/mmcd/GAMES/L2/README.TXT

It's a text file included with 'Lemmings 2' PC demo. It's something about Tandy sound driver capable of playing CD audio tracks (I think). But, I can't understand what that man want to say in this text. Is it possible to play audio tracks using Tandy driver in this demo or not? I can't get any sound with DOSBox with Tandy driver.
Actually, I was hoping to use CD audio with 'Lemmings 2' (full game), but I can't get anything with this. Is there any way to use a driver (from some other game) with Lemmings 2, and get CD audio to play instead of midi? There is a version of 'Lemmings' and 'Oh no, more Lemmings' capable to use CD audio, but I can't find anything there to use with 'Lemmings 2'. Or all this is just big-nothing, and it can't be done this way?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Sound problem
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 08:13:10 PM »
It looks like an internal memo of sorts that got included by accident.  In fact, based on its contents, it's probably originally written for Lemmings 1 and not Lemmings 2:  note the reference to "tune number 1-22" and "(e.g. tune 1 - awesome)".

The memo references a "gryphsnd.dat" file which AFAIK does not exist for either the Lemmings 2 demo or the full game, so you can probably forget about CD audio on DOS Lemmings 2.  At least ignore this text file.  If there was ever eventually any version of DOS Lemmings 2 (demo or full) that does have CD audio, I haven't heard of it yet so far.  Anyone else heard of anything like that?

In any event, you still need to hunt down the the CD (or a copy of it in eg. ISO file) to actually get CD audio, unless you're content with just having the game play your own CDs.  The driver is only half of it.  (And most likely, if the CD exists you'll probably find the driver on it anyhow.  However as said, don't think a CD-audio version exists for DOS.)

=============

Ignoring the CD-audio part, I don't remember much about the demo to say whether Tandy sound itself works or not.  I think there is a file for Tandy in the demo though so seems like it should work?  I also don't remember if the default configuration of DOSBox enables Tandy sound emulation or not.  If Tandy sound on Lemmings 1 isn't working on your DOSBox, you probably have to edit the DOSBox configuration to enable the emulation.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 08:40:05 PM »
The DOS L2 CD (has L2 and L1 on it) doesn't have CD audio. Not sure whether there are other CD releases of L1.

-- Simon

Offline Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 11:36:57 PM »
Good point ccexplore, look like this text is about 'Lemmings' (and not 'Lemmings 2'), but I have 'Lemmings 2 demo' archive with this text file included, really strange.
All of that is not so important. I was just afraid to have ability of using audio tracks with PC version of 'L2' in front of my nose, but to be too ignorant and miss to use it.
And about audio CD (audio tracks), this is not so much a problem. I can make one from Amiga mods played with 'Modplug'. It's not really a CD-Audio quality, but it's not bad at all. I have made 3 'new' versions of FM Towns port of 'L2' with music saved as audio tracks (music is taken from Amiga, Archimedes and SNES ports).

Simon, I have image of PC CD-ROM with 'L1' and 'L2' games (without audio tracks, as you said). 'L2' on that CD is 'normal' PC version, not capable to use audio tracks, but 'L1' is a CD-ROM version. Problem is, there is nothing to be played (as audio tracks) on that CD. There are (at least) two more PC versions (not much different to each other) of 'L1' together with 'ONML' on the same CD, with audio tracks included. Audio tracks just contains 'L1' music, and 'ONML' use the same tracks.