Author Topic: jLevelBuilder 1.88 (june, 9th 2021)  (Read 100142 times)

Offline 5k17

• View Profile
Re: coding a level-editor for Lemmings (released)
« Reply #120 on: October 08, 2013, 08:56:09 PM »
I'm having some problems with it:
  • the two scrollbars affecting the whole lower part of the GUI (i.e. below the map and the small graphic entity list in the center) disappear when opening a level, starting a new level or selecting a tileset
  • when a level is openend or a tileset selected, the tileset list becomes disabled
  • all opened ini levels default to the dirt tileset
  • when loading lvl levels, some objects are too far to the right; this always seems to happen to the same object types and with the same distance

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 08, 2013, 09:50:58 PM »
Hi,
thank you for your feedback.

1) I never had this kind of bug. Maybe your Java version is out-of-date? Please, could you see if the bug still occurs after having installed the latest Java from http://www.java.com ? Thanks.
(or did you make some invalid changes in the "config.ini" file perhaps?)

2) that's normal: you can no longer select a new tileset after you have selected one for a level (and this is automatically done when you load a level). When you have selected a tileset, then you can only use gfx from this tileset in your current level.

3/4) is it possible to provide me a link where I can download some .ini and .lvl files that cause troubles?

Actually, in a general manner, whenever possible, when you, guys, find bugs, please provide the level's filename (.lvl or .ini), or a screenshot, or a link where I can download the level that causes troubles (only useful if the level doesn't belong to ORIGinal or OHNO Lemmings because, otherwise, I already have the level and level's filename is enough). It would help me a lot to find and fix bugs. Thank you very much!!!

PS: in the next version, I'll include a "Please wait..." pop-up message to notify the user when there's a running process (circles of entities, Bezier curves, ...).

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 08, 2013, 10:40:17 PM »
@möbius: ok; thank you for your reply. I can confirm that tilesets in Lemmix, Lemmini, etc...'s folders don't interfere. Only the styles/tilesets in jLevelBuilder's own directories are handled. So we have exactly the same tilesets used in the level-editor. Please, could you also confirm we have the same number of items in each style (these values include .gif images (including helpers) + stylename.ini). Thank you!

- brick=101 items (.gif, .ini)
- bubble=106
- crystal=80
- dirt=93
- fire=107
- marble=101
- pillar=105
- rock=108
- snow=78
- special=33

I can confirm I have the same as you right there. I'm going to use the program again right now and do some stuff. I only opened up a few levels and they were all levels that I made with Lemmix personally, except for one by Clam in the snow/Custlemm style. This one plus another snow I made had the "moving objects" issue. None other had this issue. But Again, I've only looked at a few levels so far, so I'm going to look at more.
And hopefully create some more of my own if I ever get around to it...

EDIT: I just noticed it seems you can't access the command menu or key configuration if no level is open yet.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 08, 2013, 10:51:30 PM »
Ok. Thanks for your reply!

I only opened up a few levels and they were all levels that I made with Lemmix personally, except for one by Clam in the snow/Custlemm style. This one plus another snow I made had the "moving objects" issue.
If these levels are public/freely available, could you tell me where I can get them, please?
If I can get my hand on these levels, it would definitively be the fastest way to make those bugs fixed :D

EDIT: I just noticed it seems you can't access the command menu or key configuration if no level is open yet.
yes and it seems ok to me, but I'm open to suggestions and pieces of advice :)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 08, 2013, 11:19:02 PM »
btw, I did download the new version.
the problem seems to be with ini files. I opened a few random lvl levels of different terrains and they were fine.
I opened a few random ini levels and they all came out in dirt (incorrect) terrain. Once it came out in Special.

I uploaded the ini files I tried which failed. (they are Dodochacalo's)

------------
I don't see a key or option to be able to assign a key to quickly load or open a level. (control O, control W and those standard keys would be nice)
yeah I was being a little nitpicky but these are just some very standard things that many common programs have. It makes it a little easier to get used to a new program if it has these things

Mod Edit: Restored attachments.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 07:35:44 PM by Prob Lem »
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 08, 2013, 11:32:09 PM »
Thanks! I have found & fixed the bug: it was easy! :D
It's because in these .ini files, style = "Marble", "Crystal", "Fire", ... (expected was "marble", "crystal", "fire", ...)
I'll upload the fix tomorrow.
Ok, I'll see what I can do for "CTRL + O" : thanks for the suggestion!

By the way, the 3rd level you provided ("06°) I Won't Say I'm in Lem.ini") is identical to the 4th ("07°) Overkill.ini") except it uses a bad style (dirt instead of fire).

Offline 5k17

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 09, 2013, 12:16:00 AM »
1) I never had this kind of bug. Maybe your Java version is out-of-date? Please, could you see if the bug still occurs after having installed the latest Java from http://www.java.com ? Thanks.
(or did you make some invalid changes in the "config.ini" file perhaps?)
My Java version seems to be current, and I haven't changed the config.ini at all. My screen resolution is 1366x768, in case that's relevant.

2) that's normal: you can no longer select a new tileset after you have selected one for a level (and this is automatically done when you load a level).
That makes sense, although some people do like changing the tilesets of finished levels.

The only lvl files I've tested are Plinto. Among other things, both parts of the exit in brick levels are 32 pixels too far to the right, and the marble levels are consistently given the special tileset.

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 09, 2013, 12:33:13 AM »
Thank you for providing the link to the levels that don't load correctly.
I can see the bug, but I haven't the fix yet. I'll keep you informed tomorrow (it shouldn't be too hard to fix).
(and the scrollbar bug is probably linked with the bad level-loading)
I'll make Plinto's .lvl levels work in the editor 8)

2) that's normal: you can no longer select a new tileset after you have selected one for a level (and this is automatically done when you load a level).
That makes sense, although some people do like changing the tilesets of finished levels.
Earlier during the dev, I made some tests with such a feature, but results are barely interesting actually. (moreover, tilesets don't have the same number of items which isn't convenient for tileset switching)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 09, 2013, 01:03:49 AM »
Thanks! I have found & fixed the bug: it was easy! :D
It's because in these .ini files, style = "Marble", "Crystal", "Fire", ... (expected was "marble", "crystal", "fire", ...)
I'll upload the fix tomorrow.
Ok, I'll see what I can do for "CTRL + O" : thanks for the suggestion!

By the way, the 3rd level you provided ("06°) I Won't Say I'm in Lem.ini") is identical to the 4th ("07°) Overkill.ini") except it uses a bad style (dirt instead of fire).

great news  :) that was fast!

What do you mean by it uses a bad style? dirt instead of fire? I just checked and you're right "I won't say I'm in Lem" is messed up... I don't understand why, I haven't edited these files at all, in your program or Lemmix  ??? ???
Correction: actually I may have accidentally saved that level when it glitched in the editor. That's why it's in dirt style I'm guessing. I pressed the save button but I didn't press okay when the menu popped up, I pressed escape expecting to Not save...

Also: you should come up with a more catchy title for your program :D
to mention some positive things: I like that the item list works and you can select things with it easier than Lemmix.
--------
And thank you, 5k17, for trying my newest level pack there.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 09, 2013, 10:09:34 AM »
I don't see a key or option to be able to assign a key to quickly load or open a level. (control O, control W and those standard keys would be nice)
now done :D
CTRL+w closes the editor. And for opening/saving a .lvl or .ini file, it's up to you to decide what key-mapping you prefer (maybe you mostly work with .lvl files or maybe it's with .ini files?). Moreover, by default, in the editor, please remember that CTRL+o currently opens the list of Objects (CTRL+t:Terrains, CTRL+h:Helpers, etc...)

• all opened ini levels default to the dirt tileset
It has been fixed in the upcoming new version (same bug as möbius reported)

• when loading lvl levels, some objects are too far to the right; this always seems to happen to the same object types and with the same distance
The only lvl files I've tested are Plinto. Among other things, both parts of the exit in brick levels are 32 pixels too far to the right
You have perfectly identified the bug, and thanks to the Plinto's levels, I have succeeded in fixing it (it was easy: bad calculation for setting Objects' xPosition)

marble levels are consistently given the special tileset.
Fixed, too (=> stupid error in code: grrrr...)

I'll keep you informed when I upload the fixes today.

PS: 5k17, please tell me if the "scrollbar" bug still occurs with the new version I'll upload today. Thanks!
PS2: thank you very much, guys, for your precise bug reports: it allowed me to fix important bugs!

-------------------

[edit] new version available (important fixes applied):
- fixed bug with Lemmini's levels whose style/tileset name used uppercase
- fixed bug with Terrains not correctly up-down inverted under specific conditions, in Lemmini levels
- fixed bug with Lemmings' "marble" levels (used to display "special" levels instead)
- fixed bug with misplaced Objects in Lemmings' levels
- undo/redo operations lowered to 10 steps by default (for performance issues), but this value is now freely editable in the "config.ini" file (up to 99 steps, depending on how strong is your computer)
- added a "Please wait..." message while generating a path
- added "CTRL+w" option to close application
- in "keyconfig.ini", added entries for "Save/Open Lemmings/Lemmini" levels (user choses her/his preferred key-mapping for these actions)

if you have modified the config.ini and/or keyconfig.ini file(s), be sure to backup your modified file(s) before overwriting them with those included in beta_1.1!

If you have modified the "keyconfig.ini" file, then manually add the "CLOSE_APPLICATION" and "OPEN/SAVE LEVEL" entries to your own "keyconfig.ini" file.

Offline 5k17

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 09, 2013, 02:34:41 PM »
The scrollbar problem still happens, but I've meanwhile managed to resolve it by reducing the sizes in the config.ini. Specifically, I've set GUI_WIDTH to slightly below my screen width (if I set it to my exact screen width, I have to move the window to the left in order to see the vertical scrollbar) and GUI_BOTTOM_PANEL_HEIGHT to 300 (my screen height still being 768).

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 09, 2013, 04:58:42 PM »
I was making a level and accidentally deleted the whole thing by pressing F4. Perhaps you should add some kind of tool tips feature or an optional warning message for this sort of thing. Or just make it so you can't load a save if there is no save yet.

I really like the borders on X and Y option. (not going below the screen)

I'm a little confused about the "snap-to feature". I thought this was to snap terrain pieces together so they can line up next to each other easily, but it seems to be only in regards to the grid. I don't think I'm understanding it yet. I'm not feeling well enough to do as much editing as I wanted to right now. But I do have a level in mind and I'll post it here when it's done  :)

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 09, 2013, 05:34:08 PM »
@5k17: pleased to hear that you get rid of the scrollbar problem!  ;)

I was making a level and accidentally deleted the whole thing by pressing F4. Perhaps you should add some kind of tool tips feature or an optional warning message for this sort of thing. Or just make it so you can't load a save if there is no save yet.
You're absolutely right!
1) I'll add a warning message before loading a quicksave, and 2) I'll prevent from loading an empty quicksave slot. Very useful things, indeed! I'll do it tomorrow.
By the way, performing an Undo (CTRL+z) would have brought your level back.

I really like the borders on X and Y option. (not going below the screen)
Thanks. Uncheck the "Border on X/Y" options, and then use the keyboard's arrows, if you need to place/move items out of level's limits (but level's limits are not infinite and are limited by Lemmings' level format: the level-editor will block your moves when you reach the furthest allowed limits).

I'm a little confused about the "snap-to feature". I thought this was to snap terrain pieces together so they can line up next to each other easily, but it seems to be only in regards to the grid. I don't think I'm understanding it yet.
Snapping is easy:

- 1) each time you select an item, it will auto-fill GUI's "Snap on X/Y" values according to the item's dimension (and if displayed, snapgrid is auto-adjusted, too)

- 2) (optionnal: of course, you can manually edit the "Snap on X/Y" values, if you want)

- 3) you want to snap an item on the grid? well, press 's' (to enter "snapgrid" mode), or just check any of the 2 checkboxes on the left of the "Snap on X/Y" values (snapX and/or snapY checkbox(es))

- 4) (and this is the step you were missing) you want to snap other items (with different size) while keeping your snapgrid's values? just check the checkboxes on the right of the "Snap on X/Y" values (this way, it will cancel the step #1 seen above :D)

Moreover, using keyboard's arrows move items left, right, top, down, according to the item's dimension (and CTRL+arrows will perform 1px moves).
Now, if you have checked the checkboxes seen in step #4 (those on the right of "Snap on X/Y" values), then using keyboard's arrows will now move items left, right, top, down according to the "Snap on X/Y" values: very useful!

Sure, you'll be able to snap items exactly the way you want!

PS: if snapgrid is displayed, then SHIFT+s allows to switch between units in pixels and row/col indexes (may be useful when dealing with straight-lined snapped paths)

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 09, 2013, 06:22:26 PM »
... and, also, don't forget the "Collision Mask" feature for aligning items: SHIFT+v 8)
(collision masks are best used with a "Zoom x2/x4/x8" window opened)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 10, 2013, 07:32:41 PM »
There is a bug with moving objects

when moving left or right, it goes farther right than it should or less left I'm not sure but it's not equal. Then, I can't hold down control and  move objects slightly to the right at all. But I can every other direction.
Up and down seems to work fine, both normal and with control held down.
and moving terrain and steel works fine.

-This is important: when cloning (or copying) things, the original thing should be deselected. As it is, you always have to unselect everything manual so you can move the copied thing without moving the original thing. If there is a good reason for having it the way it currently is that's fine, but an off/on option would be nice.

The shift V function is very nice, very versatile. It will just take some while getting used to  :D You might want to explain this one in a little more detail somewhere. (maybe you already did and I didn't see)

Having the zoom ability in normal screen mode would really be nice. It seems very restrictive as it is now.

-Hakuin Ekaku