Author Topic: Droidlings  (Read 5003 times)

Offline Johannes

• View Profile
Droidlings
« on: March 22, 2013, 07:17:32 AM »
Unfortunately, Droidlings is still missing a lot of polish (menus, more robust level pack support, progress tracking), but since the gameplay itself is fully implemented and I probably won't have time in the foreseeable future to keep working on it, I figure I might as well release what I have... Who knows, if I get enough feedback it might even motivate me to make some time!

So, here's an APK with the current state (very, very alpha) of Droidlings. It includes the 5 levels I have made so far, and also has support for loading the original DOS Lemmings levels (currently just Lemmings and Oh No More Lemmings). To load the original levels, you will need to copy the original dos lemmings files to "/sdcard/Droidlings/Lemmings" and "/sdcard/Droidlings/OhNo". The DAT files must be located directly within those directories (e.g., "/sdcard/Droidlings/Lemmings/MAIN.DAT). Sorry that these paths are currently hard-coded, this is part of the "more robust level pack support" that I mentioned above.

What you can do to help?
1) Give me feedback!
2) Create levels using the graphic sets from this post: http://www.lemmingsforums.com/index.php?topic=609.msg13318#msg13318
3) Create additional graphic sets and accompanying levels (in order to avoid legal issues with Sony, NO assets from the original game may be used).

Originally I was planning to make Droidlings a paid (99c) App on the Play Store to cover my investment in hiring an artist to draw the graphics, but if at least half of the levels (that's 63 levels deemed worthy by me to make it into the game) are contributed by the community, I'll make Droidlings free (if and when I complete it) and possibly even OpenSource it.

Offline Mikex62

• Cookies? WHERE?!
    • View Profile
Re: Droidlings
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 08:37:39 PM »
OMG THIS IS SOOOO GOOD!!!  :) It's like the orignal Lemmings! Without the Lemmings! GOOD WORK!  :thumbsup:

When I first played one of the Lemmings level packs, I thought that I would get the Android Robots but when I saw one lemming I said "LEMMINGS!!!" Thanks for taking my idea of putting the lemmings in there!  :)

Offline Mikex62

• Cookies? WHERE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 03:48:44 AM »
I have some minor/major complaints to the unfinished version currently.

• Cannot nuke making me wait for time to be up.
  • The select right and left buttons do nothing.
  • Special levels are blank.
  • Very lacking of menu currently (That is very understandable as it is not yet finished.)
  • No multiplayer!
  • Black background (Theory why this is: DOS version?)
  • No sound or music.
  • Scrolling too far on the level viewing screen can get you lost.
  • Level viewing screen has no stats!
  • No character selector.
  • You can choose any level (For those who do not know what this means, the original lemmings has you to play each level.)
  • Needs Lemmings 2: The Tribes, The Lemmings Chronicles, and Lix level support.

Offline Johannes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 06:57:46 PM »
I have some minor/major complaints to the unfinished version currently.
Thanks for the feedback - most of those things are already on the todo list, but it's nice to see that they are actually missed!

• Cannot nuke making me wait for time to be up.
Yup, nuke doesn't work yet. You can use the back button though to immediately exit a level.

• The select right and left buttons do nothing.
Directional selection isn't implemented yet, nor is the planned skill-selection mode (select droid/lemming performing a specific skill).

• Special levels are blank.
No support for VGASPEC levels yet.

• Very lacking of menu currently (That is very understandable as it is not yet finished.)
This is currently my biggest todo.

• No multiplayer!
Unlikely to be implemented for Droidlings. If so, it won't be for a while.

Droidlings is definitely based on the DOS version, but I thought the orignal Lemmings games all used a black background? What color would you expect?

• No sound or music.
This is one of those things that are a bit difficult - I can't use the sounds or music from the original game, so adding sound/music is a question of getting appropriate replacements. As such this won't be happening any time soon, unfortunately.

• Scrolling too far on the level viewing screen can get you lost.
Infinite scrolling... added to the todo list, nice catch.

• Level viewing screen has no stats!
This ties in with the no-menus.

• No character selector.
Do you mean selecting between Droid/Lemmings? Currently the character animations are loaded from whatever files are provided (MAIN.DAT).

• You can choose any level (For those who do not know what this means, the original lemmings has you to play each level.)
Also ties in with the menu structure. Tracking level statistics (most saved, time) is also planned, as are challenges.

• Needs Lemmings 2: The Tribes, The Lemmings Chronicles, and Lix level support.
Unlikely since these have additional skills and file formats.

As I mentioned, I don't know when I'll get arround to doing any of the above, but thank you for the feedback!

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 12:38:19 AM »
Droidlings is definitely based on the DOS version, but I thought the orignal Lemmings games all used a black background? What color would you expect?
If it's of any help, the Amiga version (that is, the original) has a dark blue background which several ports also share*. The only place where a black background is present is in the four "special graphics" levels, there. ;)

*At the very least, the ports for the Amiga CDTV/CD32, Atari ST, Macintosh, Sharp X68000, Sega Mega Drive, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, PC Engine, Philips CDi, and 3DO, share this with the original.

Offline Mikex62

• Cookies? WHERE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 04:06:57 PM »
I wonder if it is possible for Amiga support. As an Amiga ROM is MUCH more shorter in the data department. Which would mean it would cost me less data on my Android tablet.