Author Topic: ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS  (Read 11822 times)

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS
« on: December 04, 2004, 04:12:09 AM »
After the extremely dissapointing discovery that you must become a Runescape "member" to access the western half of the world, I came to hate the game in about 4 seconds.

I resolved to make my own game, that was free and didn't use a stupid random battle system, and had no "Members".

However, it will probably take about 4 - 12 years to do alone unless someone helps me.

I would like to assemble a team to construct a new game, along the ideas of a medieval interactive RPG.

If you have any computer skill, it could be helpful. &#A0;Actually, non-computer skill could help too. &#A0;Graphics makers could draw up maps, terrain, characters, etc. &#A0;Storywriters could write a huge bundle of intertwined plot lines with several exciting twists and turns. &#A0;People with a lot of creativity could suggest options for the game, for example, one idea I've thought of is the ability to start empires, or leave one you started (and if you do so without leaving an heir, then cause a civil war...heheheh   > : )   &#A0;). &#A0;People with programming skills could help to program the game, and that's one heck of a job. &#A0;Someone with web knowledge could help organize a sight or server to hold the game at. &#A0;people with talent in music composition could compose the songs for the game.

Almost anything can help.

Please post if you think you have a useful ability and you're willing to help.

PS: &#A0;It would be GREAT if I could get some people with 3D graphics knowledge &#A0;:D

Andi

Re: ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004, 09:33:34 AM »
What engine would you like to use? And what server? It sounds really interesting.

Do you know the anime ".//hack"? It's about a game "The World" which is very cool. You should have a look at it.

BTW, what game did you hate in 4 seconds?

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004, 02:51:03 PM »
Runescape is the game I hated.

Oh, and I have a server I could use, only the problem is is the fact that the server's primary use is for my mom's business.

The engine can be anything.  2D, 3D, built from scratch, pretty much anything.

Offline Lemika

• The Lurker in the Level
    • View Profile
    • Corner the Maze - a webcomic
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2004, 02:52:18 PM »
Runescape, I presume.

It sounds like an interesting idea, certainly.  :D
I suppose I might be able to do some graphics stuff, but not much else. I'm not very good at programming. And I wouldn't even bet on doing decent graphics, but... I could try to help. :P

G3K

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2004, 03:55:14 PM »
I can do some decent drawing and animation in Flash, and I'm learning Visual Basic at school - okay, it's not exactly C++, but it's always a start.

Andi

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2004, 10:18:15 PM »
We are also learning VB and C++. But I know Delphi and BASIC. ^^ Why don't make a Lemmings-MMORPG?

Ah yeah, and I like creating maps.

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2004, 08:59:43 PM »
hm...Well then, Andi, you can start on making a map.  Lem'ka and I can try to draw it on the computer.  Try to make an equal balance of evil and good places.

Also, a Lemmings one sounds good too, only I was orginally not thinking of that.  Why not make two of these things? :D

Oh, and C++ will work...if we're lucky, maybe even the near-pathetic game-capabilities of Flash will do (but writing the code will take eons).  We'd be lucky to get anything to work.

My programming knowledge:
-Q-basic
-Flash 4.0
-Adobe Photoshop 6.0 (uh...this is actually graphics I guess).

Offline Lemika

• The Lurker in the Level
    • View Profile
    • Corner the Maze - a webcomic
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2004, 10:41:55 PM »
Sounds good. :D

Hmmm. The only programming language I almost know is Q-Basic, so I'm not going to be much help there [considering that I can't even do graphics in that]. And I only have Adobe Photoshop 4.0. But it works, and I know how to use it :P

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2004, 12:31:32 AM »
I've got another idea for how you can help Lem'ka.  You are good at making evil things, unless I am mistaken, correct?  Well, why not design some evil characters who have heavy influence in the evil areas of the world?

maybe someone else can make good characters.

Andi

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2004, 02:59:59 PM »
I thought of dividing the world into some lands. (I made some sketches about a land I called "Northland". (There are only some sketches of how the lemmings might look and a few waepons.) Some other lands could be "Highland" for example and a Medieval one. (Yeah, L2 again, but it gives the perfect stuff. :D )

Each land has it's own weapons and there are always 2 kinds of magic. "Good" and "Evil". They aren't too different (only in the way they show) to avoid everyone's evil or everone's good.

That's what I thought. Do you want me to scan the stuff and upload it?

Anyway, have you ever created a game such as an RPG? I don't think so.

1. Decide what engine you'd like to use.

As long as I don't know what engine you want to use I won't do anything. Creating at own an engine would be too complex. You should surf a bit around and search for a good one.
At this point you also have to decide if you want a Single-Player RPG or a MMORPG.

2. Do you really want  to do it?

Programming a game costs A LOT of time and maybe it's first very fun. But after some it might get boring. You have to hang through it.

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2004, 06:08:59 PM »
I know that it takes lots of time to program something.  I program games in Flash, and it takes forever sometimes!  But, if we can all get this to work together, I feel we could do this.

Andi, maybe you could suggest an engine?  You seem to know a lot more about them than I do.

MMORPG would be good.

Another thing we need to know: What kind of programming language to use? &#A0;All I know is Flash and Q-basic.

Another contraversial issue: 3D or 2D. &#A0;3D would be a lot harder to do.

Also, I want to make two if possible: Lemmings, and a human one.

We're not making any progress this way. &#A0;Let's try to set some primary objectives-

-Draw some world maps.
-Create some characters
-Create some storylines for each part of the world.
-Decide what you can do in the game

I think that this is what we should focus on for now. &#A0;After this, no more messages about anything other than the above objectives. &#A0;when we are ready, we can forage into other realms if thinking.

ANDI> &#A0;It would be great if you's scan in your maps!

Andi

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2004, 07:43:30 PM »
OK then. I'll go for an engine.

And 3D means not automatic harder. It means more time to invest when you're doing the models. And normally each engine has it's own lamguage. For example Unreal-Script, WDL, PowerBASIC and so on. So I guess we all have to learn it. (But already knowing a programming language makes it a bit easier.)

But first, who is REALLY interested in joyning? Lem'ka said she is. Anyone else? (timballisto and me of course, too.)

Because of MMORPG. A server should have heck a lot of bandwitch, no traffic limits, and should be VERY fast and stable. Comes up how big the game will be. In the first time maybe someone of us can host it for testing, but when the game is playable for public we need a REAL server. If you're not owner of an oil station this might get very expensive. And it's better you have one in each part of the world, because of the ping-problem. For example one in Europe, Asia and US.

You see, creating a game isn't that easy. ;)

----------------------------
Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2004, 10:28:45 AM »
I already knew some of those things, but thank you for enlightning me anyway.  I didn't plan too much to open this to outsiders anyway, but, if somehow the heavens make it possible, we might be able to...(hahahahahahahahahahah).  Maybe we could have a limit for people allowed somehow.  Oh, and the server thing.  You're right Andi.  That would be a big problem.  But, on this board there are several people from several different places.  Anybody else who has access to a server should say so.  If no one else does, then try to look up how to get one.  No pressure, just a suggestion.

Also, nice pictures Andi!  Looks like you've got lots going on there!

Andi

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2004, 12:56:32 PM »
I found a nice looking 3d engine: http://www.realmcrafter.com/

But unfortunately it costs something. But I don't know how much. If we are really interested in it, it might be worth the price.

I'll look for some other 3d and 2d engines as well.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2004, 06:06:40 PM »
Quote from: Timballisto  link=1102133529/0#2 date=1102171863
Runescape is the game I hated.

Oh, and I have a server I could use, only the problem is is the fact that the server's primary use is for my mom's business.

The engine can be anything. &#A0;2D, 3D, built from scratch, pretty much anything.

I was a member of that game for about a year. I quit when they added those 3D graphics, and then they did a string of pointless updates which ruined the game for me. I quit RS a while back.

I, personally, would be better at ideas for the game than raw programming or server space (I don't know of a server that can be used.) because I know no real programming languages. Bah.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano