Author Topic: Level design contest #1!  (Read 40337 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Level design contest!
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2013, 09:35:04 PM »
speedyshared my replays for Clam's and Steve's levels and PM'd the links to them and geoo.

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2013, 09:47:30 PM »
I solved all the contest levels and sent my solutions to the authors. I'm not going to tell any spoilers, but there was only one level, which I think I solved in the intended way, and my other solutions felt backroutey. I backrouted to some extent my own level also. :XD: It has to be terribly difficult to make a level without any major backroutes in one shot. There almost always should be someone to test someone's levels due to "creator's blind eye", but I think that wouldn't be fair in this kind of contest. Anyway, those levels were really fun! And this backroute fixing jam is an awesome idea! :)

It may also be a little hard to evaluate the enjoyability of these levels because of backroutes, but maybe I'll wait for the updated levels and let my votes be based on those. Here are nice-looking levels also, I'll send my votes maybe nearer the end of this phase.

This is fun, thanks to all the participants! :thumbsup: Too bad that there aren't more levels, but I enjoy this still. :)

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2013, 10:36:37 PM »
Yea, got 4 solutions to my level, all the same, and all with the "obvious easy route" that I was complaining about 5 minutes after posting the level

one moment please

EDIT: Routes were from geoo, Proxima, Akseli, and ccexplore so far.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2013, 10:56:23 PM »
Oh well.  I still think it's a fun level despite the apparent backroute solution, which while not exactly very difficult, is still decent I think.  Looking forward to the next version of your level.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2013, 11:05:57 PM »
I'm about ready to throw in the towel.  Two different backroutes already, courtesy of Akseli and Proxima.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2013, 03:06:52 AM »
I was debating between trying to find a subtle way to fix the backroute in my level or go with a very strong fix that does make the intended solution easier to work out.

In the end I decided to take the nuclear option to avoid winning the Brickout Memorial Trophy  ;P
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2013, 03:39:02 AM »
Hahaha, Brickout Memorial Trophy, I love this name, I think I'm gonna adapt that!  :thumbsup:

Nice work on solving all of the levels (first version), Akseli! Despite the backroutes, they are still kinda challenging, but I only have two more to go. EDIT: now only one left. EDIT: Now also Clam's solved. :D
I'm afraid the official scoreboard for the solving category will look pretty boring at the end; good thing there'll be the scoreboard for the final versions of the levels.
And hey Proxima, nice to see you joining in!

Note to Pooty: Just in case you haven't noticed, many of your OWW trigger areas don't work; you can turn on the trigger area viewer in Lemmix to see them. Only trigger areas for the first 16 objects will work. You could move the hatch further to the back in the object list, as well as some of the water at the bottom (one bit of water actually prevented another backroute of mine).

EDIT: Solved version 2 of Steve's level.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2013, 04:53:23 AM »
Well, now that I'm getting up to speed again, I've solved "Evacuating a Retirement Home" - solution posted to Clam and geoo.  I will definitely give this +1 for beauty due to the clever design of the bedrooms.

Unfortunately chaps, I've hopefully addressed the common denominator in all four posted backroutes of "Prize Catch" - it was a pretty bad oversight of mine - find version 2 attached.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2013, 05:17:19 AM »
Okay, that was backrouted instantly using a variant of an existing one.  Version 3. *sighs*  Yeah I'm frustrated.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2013, 05:21:25 AM »
I'm afraid to say, the exact replay I sent you for version 2 also works for version 3. That guy was a floater. :P
Time for version 4 I guess. :P

btw, just a short note: you don't have to send your solutions to me immediately, it's fine if you just send me a batch of all your solutions at the end of the solving phase. Just send your solutions immediately to the level author.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2013, 05:41:13 AM »
Aah, screw it!  I'm sorry, I can't fix it - the level's completely broken.  I've failed.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2013, 05:47:44 AM »
This is why I didn't participate in this. 1. It takes me forever to come up with a hard level. 2. There's bound to be backroutes and fixing them is annoying. (Which is already happening, which is funny :P)
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2013, 05:51:47 AM »
Aah, screw it!  I'm sorry, I can't fix it - the level's completely broken.  I've failed.
Couldn't you just fix the backroute by making that pillar a little thicker, or would that break your intended solution?
Just give it a little more time or sleep over it, I think your last update was just a bit rushed. :) Backroute-fixing can be annoying and tricky sometimes, but it's part of the fun I think.
The entire setup of your level is really curious, I'd really like to work out what solution you intended for.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2013, 05:56:45 AM »
Yeah, I can make the wall slightly thicker - it doesn't seem to affect the intended solution.  I guess I was flustered, but I'm nowhere near as good as I thought I was.  Still, here's v4...

(Unfortunately I don't enjoy fixing backroutes, at all... because it shows imperfection that I was unable to consider the possibility initially, and the result ends up looking tacky and unprofessional)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2013, 07:04:29 AM »
geoo found a backroute to my level. Here's v2 (attached).

Also, @ccx and Akseli: I get the following error when loading your replays, and I can't watch them. Note that it's not the error you get when you play in the wrong mode (that one is "invalid replay header different mechanics"). Any idea what's going on here? I notice you both used speedyshare whereas the other senders didn't, could that be corrupting the file somehow?