Author Topic: Confused newbie question  (Read 2396 times)

Offline CorneliaYoder

• View Profile
Confused newbie question
« on: December 09, 2012, 04:13:26 PM »
I played Lemmings back in DOS days, and just went looking for something more up to date.  I've found Lemmix, Lemmings 32, and some other confusing stuff.

Could someone please explain the current status of Lemmings, how all these programs fit in, and is there currently a way to actually play Lemmings again in a Windows environment (XP, Win 7, Win8?)?

I tried downloading Lemmings32 and it works, but I can't see any way to save a game when exiting the webpage. 

How can I get started again playing this awesome game?

Thanks!

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Confused newbie question
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 07:46:06 PM »
Don't be at all ashamed that you're confused. There's very few people interested in Lemmings--that's why there is not a lot of help and discussion on the subject.
sadly, the current state of Lemmings is pretty bleak. But they're are plenty of ways to play Lemmings, none of them are amazing but at least they exist.

I don't know anything about Lemmings32  ??? never heard of it.

For help running Lemmix, first read this: http://www.lemmingsforums.com/index.php?topic=414.msg9334;topicseen#msg9334 and follow the instructions.

This will allow you to edit the game as well as play the original levels and user created levels.

I also recommend reading Eric Lang's page (the black colored website where you can download Lemmix) thoroughly. There's a lot of information you need to know.
and one Extremely Important thing: when using the editor; don't re-size the bottom panels. There's a glitch that makes it so you can no longer use hot keys then.

there's also Lemmini: http://lemmini.de/
you need Windows Lemmings to play this however, a CD game. but you can get the files necessary somewhere else I think. Windows Lemmings will actually work on most Operating Systems. (I have W7 and it works)

Look around this website; there's a bunch of programs and things at least mentioned. And Don't be afraid to post here if you need help. I would've found this community years ago but gave up on these programs at the time because they were too confusing and I couldn't find help on them.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 11:47:30 PM »
It's only one right way to play Lemmings at this time of year. Get the 'Holliday Lemmings' and help them to reach the Christmas puding (I mean the Exit, but in this case it's the same thing). Here it is, 'Holiday Lemmings' ready to go directly from the Windows.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 12:05:50 AM »
If you have the games' DOS versions, you can run all of them in Dosbox, which emulates a full DOS environment under any modern operating system. There should be a couple tutorials on the web.

This is an authentic way to play every game with music and correct physics.

-- Simon