Author Topic: Lemmings Revolution game mechanics  (Read 2048 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Lemmings Revolution game mechanics
« on: April 27, 2012, 12:36:13 AM »
this is a thread is separate from file formats. It won't be that technical (but if you have insight as to how things work and you want to, by all means post it) This is to discuss how certain things in the game work (in case an editor ever gets made and for just general knowledge)

-I'll keep updating it as I play the game and learn more.

====================
<<<Teleporters>>>

(first some info I took from the glitch thread)

-the time it takes for a lemming to re-appear at the exit T varies for each level.

-Teleporters are supposed to make a sound which can be heard on "Water way to go" but the sound doesn't play for some reason on any other level.

-The teleporter "beam" is turned on whenever one or more lemmings begin to enter/exit a teleporter on one side, and normally the beam turns off when all lemmings have gone through to the other side (for the entering teleport) or when all lemmings have finished exiting (for the exiting teleport). 

-("broken teleporters")
However, if a lemming explodes in the middle of entering or exiting the teleporter, so that there's a lemming that never technically went through to the other side or never finished exiting, this will result in [that] teleporter beam staying on forever. (note this only effects one [that] side of the teleporter)

-A lemming cannot re-trigger a teleporter until he has left and re-entered the teleporter's area of detection.  So for example, if you set a blocker at the immediate exit point of the exiting teleporter, you can trap the exiting lemmings within the exiting teleporter's area of detection, and they won't be re-teleported (simply walking past the teleporter with no effects) until they can leave and re-enter the detection area.

-Lemmings exiting a teleporter go immediately into whatever state they normally would; example; if there is a wall directly close enough to the T the lemming will exit and turn around and not be re-teleported. Furthermore, if that lemming is a climber, upon exiting the T he will begin climbing the wall without ever touching the floor.

-Lemmings can trigger a T and enter it even if there is terrain in the way. (see screen shot)[/li][/list]

-In most levels: the direction a lemming is facing dictates how it will come out of the exit telepoter.
If a lemming goes into a T facing RIGHT he will come out of the right side. If he goes in facing LEFT he will come out on the left side. This is regardless of the side the lemming goes in and only takes into account the direction their facing.

-However (In the level 'Lock In'), if the teleporter by the timed wall is "broken" and a lemming enters the other T from the right side, facing right, this time he exits T2 from the left side! (changing direction)  ??? ???

-----------
-right now I'm investigating the levels where the teleporter connection is not congruent. (like 'Just you wait')

[when I say "wrong side"; I'm referring to the side of a T which is not intended to be used. In most levels, this is fairly evident. And when I say "wrong way" I mean a lemming entering the T facing AWAY from it.]

teleporters are not always as simple as "T1 sends to T2".

-Some levels do demonstrate this behavior. (Levels with only two teleporters obviously, Lock in, Lemming Be Thy Name, for example) But at least one with more than 2 does this as well;

"Under and Up"
(Teleporter near entrance; T1. under entrance; T2. near balloon; T3. under balloon; T4)

T1 - T2
T2 - T1
T3 - T4
T4 - T3

-but some levels are completely different:

On "Green with Envy" there are 4 teleporters. Every T except the one by the balloon exits to the one by the balloon. If a lemming enters the one by the balloon it exits to the one directly to it's left.

"Just you wait" is similar. There are four here. (one at the very top; T1. One below that on the retractable wall (which from now on I'll be calling RW or doors for ease) above the water: T2. Two near the balloon; the left one: T3. & the one closest to the balloon T4.

ENTER  EXIT
T1 -    T4
T2 -    T4
T3 -    T1
T4 -    T2

as of yet I've found no way to exit from T3. (It's not possible to access the other side of T2 and T3 because the ceiling is too low to build over)
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain