Author Topic: Running Lemmix  (Read 2782 times)

Offline finlay

• View Profile
Running Lemmix
« on: October 18, 2011, 02:05:24 AM »
I'm getting bored of not being able to view replays, especially since they're all that's been posted recently. Anyone have any bright ideas for how to get me able to run it on a mac? It's just that simon suggested Wine but while that's runnable on mac, it's really for linux geeks, by which I mean to install it you have to understand a lot of command line jargon that I simply don't understand and you also must have several spare hours in which to perform the installation, or something.

And the "parallels" emulator program won't load properly – it gets to the login screen and then when I try to click anything it doesn't recognise it or something. :XD: I realise i should probably ask my dad about this or something, since he's the one who actually tried to install the damn thing (also, it's taking up >10 GB of my 100 GB hard drive, which is quite a large proportion for something that doesn't work).

Argh.

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
Re: Running Lemmix
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 09:28:31 AM »
buy an old windows laptop :)
pretty cheap I think

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 09:35:42 AM »
I'm getting bored of not being able to view replays, especially since they're all that's been posted recently. Anyone have any bright ideas for how to get me able to run it on a mac? It's just that simon suggested Wine but while that's runnable on mac, it's really for linux geeks, by which I mean to install it you have to understand a lot of command line jargon that I simply don't understand and you also must have several spare hours in which to perform the installation, or something.
Google yields this for some instructions on how to install and use it:

http://davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/#what-is

It doesn't really look like you need to understand too much about command line as long as you find the program for it on Mac, which the page also explains somewhere.  It takes time but you don't have to actually sit there for the whole duration of the install (just like when you install any other large program).  Good luck!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 11:26:35 AM »
If you don't want to compile yourself: Read the Wine installation page for Mac OS X, especially the section about prebuilt binaries. Maybe one of the third-party projects listed there suits your needs. Consider reading ccx's link before deciding to use Wine-based third-party packages, it doesn't seem that hard to follow.

If you search the web for "wine mac easy", you'll retrieve a video which I didn't watch, but a ton of people commented with "thank you".

The forum talk is mainly about challenges right now, which is healthy. I feared the multiplayer stuff would have torn the community apart, since it's not something for everyone, and also not Lemmings; but it hasn't. Level building isn't popular currently, but that would also be Lemmix-replay-centric. There's the occasional fan corner topic, but it's hard to make a fresh fan topic interesting enough to spawn several answers. Small talk usually happens via IRC (geoo: "It appears that my new neighbor is called P. Wurst"), very little smalltalk reaches the forums, especially since the rabble box is gone.

There are also less programming projects discussed in the forums than a few years ago. The major editors aren't hacked on (Lemmix, Lemmix 2 due to lack of time, lgl2, pcL2ed, and Mindless's L3 editor). The file formats of most games are figured out, and several functional resource extractors have been written. Lix is nearly IRC-only.

-- Simon

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 12:54:35 PM »
Ah, but if there's custom levels, I can still play them with Lemedit and Custlemm, even though they're not particularly wieldy programs. And even though most of you usually design levels that are too difficult for me because they involve glitches and stuff. :-[ :XD:

I mean I should probably join you on IRC too, but I don't know the server offhand and I don't have a client at the moment. I'd have to find one or something. And there's at least one more forum where I'd have to do the same, and then I'd find my time eaten up by IRC instead. :P

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 03:14:24 PM »
Right... I've got the easy version of wine working now. Last night I couldn't download it for some reason. So lemmix works now, anyway...

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 07:44:13 PM »
And even though most of you usually design levels that are too difficult for me because they involve glitches and stuff. :-[ :XD:
This is a bit unfair.  Even many of clam's later levelpaks don't involve glitches.  Of course, no glitches doesn't mean it's easy either. ;P  Still, surely you aren't saying you would be defeated by most of the levels posted on the level database???  (Actually I haven't played most of the levels there myself, so maybe they are all superhard for all I know...... :scared: ???) ;)

I mean I should probably join you on IRC too, but I don't know the server offhand and I don't have a client at the moment.
The one Simon and geoo frequents (gears towards the Lix stuff) has a web IRC client as well, webchat.quakenet.org.  The channel is #lix.