Author Topic: motorcycle tent camping tips  (Read 1548 times)

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
motorcycle tent camping tips
« on: July 05, 2011, 09:28:52 AM »
So I received an offer from someone online to write a 1000+ word article on the topic "motorcycle tent camping tips." I'd be remunerated $1.50 for this article. I jumped at this opportunity, but I want to make sure the article is good enough before I send it in. It's weird to ask for such things, I know, but your advice would be much obliged.

The new and exciting sport of motorcycle tent camping has exploded in popularity over the last couple of years. There are many reasons to be enthralled by motorcycle tent camping: for one, it provides all the exhilaration of motorcycle riding with the outdoorsy, family fun of camping in a tent. However, there are many things one must know before diving into the sport. As a semi-professional motorcycle tent camper myself, I hope to both pass on my experiences from my 2 and a half years of experience, and get all of the readers of this article hooked on this high-speed sensation that's sweeping the nation.

First of all, you will, of course, need a motorcycle and a tent. If you already have a motorcycle, great! One of the major barriers to beginning your motorcycle tent camping adventure is the cost of a motorcycle. If you are just starting out, I'd recommend the Kawasaki KX250F. It's economical, and provides the right balance of control and speed for the novice motorcycle tent camper. I personally use the Kawasaki KX450F, as it's a fair bit bigger; I'd recommend upgrading once you get your road-camping wings. The difference in speed will be noticeable and once you get the tent setup that is right for you you'll be flying across the country. I'd not recommend Harley-Davidson cycles (though if you already own one it's ok to use them), as their design can lead to problematic aerodynamics.

Quite a few more people own tents; however, that dusty old tent you have kept in your garage will be a very poor choice, and I'd recommend buying a new one even if you own one. In fact, if you use an old tent that you've all but discarded, veteran motorcycle tent campers will ridicule you. We even have a term for people who do this: "Garagers." If you don't want to be a Garager, you'll want to get a new tent. Tent selection is very heavily based on both the cycle you use and your own personal body features. The larger you are, and the larger your bike, the larger the tent I'd recommend. For a normal-sized person on the KX250F, a good starting choice is the Coleman Hooligan 2. It's reasonably sized for good speed and control but not so small as to make your bike overshadow your tent. It's also very reasonably priced. More advanced motorcycle tent campers may wish to upgrade to the Coleman Helios X2, but this is a bit of an investment. Branching out to other brands may be a good idea; indeed, the tent is arguably the most important aspect to one's enjoyment.

Once you have the right motorcycle and tent combination, you can get on the road and begin your adventure! For beginners, I'd recommend starting with just the motorcycle tent, and incorporate the camping later (I was a motorcycle tenter myself when starting out. It's not a bad thing). Figuring out how your motorcycle and tent interact with each other is integral to ensure your safety once you incorporate your camping elements. However, once you're on track, you can slowly incorporate beginning camping elements. Don't try anything complex like the bonfire right off the bat; for one, I've seen too many people start it by the gas tank and completely ruin their bikes, or worse... (R.I.P. James) Good starting tricks include singalongs, bug catching (both in the tent and on the front of your bike), and scary stories (there are sidecars for your bike if you want an audience). Once you get more experience, you can incorporate more camping tricks. The number of possibilities is limited only by your imagination!

Of course, for the hardcore motorcycle tent campers out there, there are plenty of chances to show off your new skills. Novices and experts alike can participate in the U.S.M.T.C.A. (US Motorcycle Tent Camping Association) competitions. These competitions are broken into five tiers based on experience, and contain three events: speed, stunt, and freestyle. The speed event is as it sounds; contestants must drive their motorcycle tent camp from one point to a finish as quickly as possible. This is a good starting event, as the camping elements are diminished somewhat. The stunt event focuses very heavily on the camping element, and judges contestants based on the camping tricks and their level of difficulty. I still remember when my idol, "Roadkill Dan" Madson, pulled off the first ever double S'more wheelie in motorcycle tent camping history. I was literally in tears... maybe one day I'll be able to do the same. Maybe... Anyways, the freestyle event is a bit of a combination, where your routine is judged by a panel of experts and the best combination of stunts and speed emerge victorious. Or, at least they would, if not for the "scores for bribes" scandal last October. The freestyle community is still recovering from the tarnish on their reputation. Of course, if competition isn't your thing, the thrill of just being on the road is reward enough.

One of my personal favorite experiences as a motorcycle tent camper was my participation in the annual Mototentcross last year. The Mototentcross is a gathering where recreational and competitive motorcycle tent campers alike get together and ride. There are several different paths of various lengths and difficulties that a rider can embark on. I participated in the grueling cross-country ride, which took me from Ashford, New York, the birthplace of motorcycle tent camping, to Sacramento, California. Even halfway there, I thought I wasn't going to make it all the way; my S'mores were looking lopsided and I could hardly keep up with the endurance experts. Despite this, and an incident in Las Vegas I'd really rather not discuss (I still don't know where my left kidney went), I made it. It was the greatest sense of accomplishment I've ever felt in my life.

So what are you waiting for? Motorcycle tent camping is the outdoor sensation that's sweeping the nation. Don't let your neighbors leave you in the dust. Get in on the action today!
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: motorcycle tent camping tips
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 09:47:20 PM »
Pretty well-written article!  However, without any pictures, I'm still a bit unsure how to picture this, that is, how is the tent attached to the motorcycle?  (Granted, I have never had even set up a tent on regular ground myself, so it could be really obvious to someone who has.)  Can you really use any regular tent for this to work?  Is the attachment of tent to motorcycle self-evident (and requires no special equipment other than commonly encountered in motorcycling itself or camping itself) to anyone who has done at least one of camping or motorcycling?

Anyway, that's probably not so much an issue with the article itself as my own inexperience in anything remotely related to either camping or motorcycling. ;)  With the caveat that I'm someone with absolutely 0 knowledge on the subject matter, I can find no faults with your article. 8)