Author Topic: Lemmings achievements  (Read 5071 times)

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmings achievements
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 03:53:59 AM »
Quote from: ccexplore
Power of observation.  That is a very useful skill to build up, not just for glitches and not just for Lemmings.

Well, that's perfect then, because I'm very good into that. I'm very meticulous.
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2011, 02:38:30 PM »
I'm still a bit inordinately pleased about the 100% solution for Taxing 18. Again, probably one you all know. It seems to be easier on the Genesis version, because the gap between the exit and the wall is wider...

And actually just about completing Havoc 16 and Mayhem 26 at all on the Mac version, since they have graphical bugs that actually affect gameplay. I've attached a screenshot of my solution for Havoc 16 to try and illustrate: essentially, the little wall near the top is perfectly straight in the Amiga/DOS versions, but on the Mac version it's a bit bumpy in such a way that a climber can't get up, but by laying a step as soon as he lands on that pixel, he'll climb up properly the next time he goes up there. Annoying as hell, basically.

I also prefer levels with a challenging puzzle that is (relatively) easy to execute. But inevitably it's the other kind that'll stump me for longer. It was like that with Present 29 recently – I only managed to beat it the other day with the help of savestates.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 12:35:54 AM »
The Lemmings achievements of mine I associate most satisfaction with are solving Insane Steve's "The Mon0lith" which took me quite a long time, and also had a very special feeling to it, tseug's level 6 which I think took me over a year to finally find what I suppose is the intended solution.
Second to these, back in the day solving "Lemmings Ark" which I played the first time as Isu's Cheapo remake which took me like a week to solve (well, only 3 days to find an unsatisfying backroute, we didn't make me stop looking for a better solution). And I think one of ccexplore's Sports levels might belong here as well.

Though these are all more kind of personal achievements, the ones that actually had some relevance to the Lemmings people beyond myself are probably two of the challenges I did, both of which I worked pretty hard for:
100% Highland 10 about when I joined the forum, and 100% Tame 13 with 1 builder which I actually thought of as a challenge set by Clam I ought to repeat (this kinda kept me going because I thought it had already been done before and therefore I should be able to do it as well).
None of these came with as much satisfaction as solving the two aforementioned levels though.

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 03:57:33 AM »
I've just completed a nice achievement that's worth bringing up:

For the first time, I have completed a run-through of the original Lemmings, solving each level with the maximum possible save percentage!

The sad part is that nearly 25% of the time I spent on this run was spent on one level: Mayhem 10.  Mayhem 29, Tricky 23, and even Mayhem 2 have nothing on the pixel-precision required in the Mayhem 10 lose 2 solution, in my opinion.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 07:41:02 PM »
Cool! :thumbsup: I think you might well be the first person to do so!  Even I have never actually attempted Mayhem 2 100%, not even on Lemmix. (I presume you did the whole thing in actual Lemmings?)

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 01:02:23 AM »
^ You presume correctly.

I actually didn't find Mayhem 2 to be as bad as it was originally made out to be.  There are only two parts which require extreme precision, which are the very beginning when containing the crowd, and at the very end when executing the sliding trick.  Once the crowd is contained, getting the vast majority of the lemmings bunched in one place is easy using the release rate, and any strays can easily be saved using climbers.  Once I knew how to do it, it only took a handful of tries to get the execution right.

Mayhem 10, on the other hand, took hours of continuous attempts before I got all of the pixel-perfect moves right.