Author Topic: Can't get Lemmings 2 to work on WinUAE  (Read 3133 times)

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
Can't get Lemmings 2 to work on WinUAE
« on: May 17, 2011, 05:59:02 AM »
Hello all! Long time no see!

I wanna try something on Lemmings 2 over the Amiga emulator WinUAE, but I can't get it to work from three different versions of the roms.

I have inserted the three game disks into the three first disk drives, I chose the A500 model with a 1.3 Kickstart rom and clicked "Start". Here, the intro sequence begins, but I left-click to skip it, but after that... nothing. I can wait there for 2-3 minutes and nothing happens. No music, no message to change disk or whatsoever.

There's only at the very beginning I get a "Direct3D: Newer DirectX Runtime required" pop-up with the link to get it, but I'm playing using DirectDraw, and the download provides updates to 9.0c and previous versions of DirectX, where I have DX11...

Would somebody get me out of that Amiga nightmare?

Thanks!
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Can't get Lemmings 2 to work on WinUAE
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 02:06:18 PM »
I have inserted the three game disks into the three first disk drives, I chose the A500 model with a 1.3 Kickstart rom and clicked "Start". Here, the intro sequence begins, but I left-click to skip it, but after that... nothing. I can wait there for 2-3 minutes and nothing happens. No music, no message to change disk or whatsoever.
I looked at the configuration I used for Amiga L2 on my XP computer.  Under "chipset" I have "chipset type" set to "ECS Agnus" and "Misc chipset options" set to "Cycle exact CPU and Blitter".  Not sure if that really matters though.

It does take a long time to load even on my computer, but you do relatively quickly see it go into the Psygnosis screen after skipping the intro.  Then maybe 40 seconds later it transitions to the DMA screen and starts the main music, and then another minute or so it finally transitions to the main menu screen.  Yep, it's slow. :( That's why I immediately make a savestate once it reaches the main menu screen!

But in your case it sounds like it's stuck much earlier, at what should've been a fast transition, namely from the skipped intro to the Psynosis screen.  If the configuration changes I noted above doesn't help, I could try uploading some of my files for you to try.

There's only at the very beginning I get a "Direct3D: Newer DirectX Runtime required" pop-up with the link to get it, but I'm playing using DirectDraw, and the download provides updates to 9.0c and previous versions of DirectX, where I have DX11...
You could try not skipping the intro and see if the intro is working, if it does then the DirectX stuff probably doesn't matter.  That said, I think DirectX 9.0c can live side-by-side with DX11, so you could still try the link and see if it helps, though I kinda doubt it.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 02:25:45 PM »
By the way, while I have your attention, can you provide more information on the CD version of DOS Lemmings that I think you said you own?  You know, the one that we believe CustLemm is based off from?  The one you said has the music for the game actually stored as audio tracks on the CD?

What I would really want of course is if you can rip an ISO that I can use to burn my own, but barring that, I'd be interested if the CD has any labeling that may help identify the source.  "Source" meaning how it was sold/distributed.  Or if you happened to remember how you got it (did it come included in a book or something?), let me know.  Thanks!

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 02:59:32 AM »
Quote from: ccexplore
I looked at the configuration I used for Amiga L2 on my XP computer.  Under "chipset" I have "chipset type" set to "ECS Agnus" and "Misc chipset options" set to "Cycle exact CPU and Blitter".  Not sure if that really matters though.

I tried different Amiga models with different versions of kickstart Roms: no luck.

It does take a long time to load even on my computer, but you do relatively quickly see it go into the Psygnosis screen after skipping the intro.

The Psygnosis screen? What Psygnosis screen? I can't even access that screen at all even after 5 minutes waiting.

You could try not skipping the intro and see if the intro is working

It worked like a charm.

By the way, while I have your attention, can you provide more information on the CD version of DOS Lemmings that I think you said you own?  You know, the one that we believe CustLemm is based off from?  The one you said has the music for the game actually stored as audio tracks on the CD?

What I would really want of course is if you can rip an ISO that I can use to burn my own, but barring that, I'd be interested if the CD has any labeling that may help identify the source.  "Source" meaning how it was sold/distributed.  Or if you happened to remember how you got it (did it come included in a book or something?), let me know.  Thanks!

CD version of Dos Lemmings? ??? Nope, sorry, I don't own such version. You're not asking the good person: it's Tim that got the CD version on that topic, remember? And unfortunately, I don't have the CD tracks anymore. Anyway, the CD of Tim is rather worn and got scratches, so that there were some "tacs" in the tracks.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 11:52:01 AM »
Well, here's a zip file with the 4 important files, 3 ADFs for the 3 L2 floppies, and 1 for KickStart 1.3:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/7/15/2915232/AmigaL2.zip

They are the files I have on my computer, so if that still doesn't work for you then I have no clue.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 09:18:34 PM »
Then I'm cursed, 'cause once again it doesn't work, even with your files. :(

Maybe you could try sending your savestate instead?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 09:26:27 AM »
I guess it's worth a try, but I'm starting to think maybe something else is going on.  But let's try savestate first.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/7/15/2915232/L2extra.zip

zip file includes the savestate (L2start.uss), and for good measure I throw in the configuration file that I'm using (L2_test_config.uae), even though I have no idea whether it's even usable on a different computer.   The version of WinUAE I have is 0.8.27.  Good luck!

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 09:48:03 PM »
Thanks a lot, it's working now! :thumbsup: