Author Topic: ClamLix  (Read 90833 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: ClamLix
« Reply #165 on: November 16, 2017, 01:03:53 AM »
Attached another solution to "Urban Legde-End" that works without
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and in some sense uses all the terrain but has another strange quirk therefore and doesn't need to use all skills.

Btw my backroute to "Shopping Cart Race" doesn't seem to work in the C++-Lix version:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I would bet money that is much closer to the intended solution. That's a pretty neat trick that I've never seen before actually.

-----
no idea how to fix this atm, although I found this level was still pretty tough even so.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 16, 2017, 01:36:38 AM »
Thanks.
Some remarks (click to show/hide)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 16, 2017, 01:40:58 AM »
I wouldn't bother to change anything. I agree both solutions are interesting and like I said I found it quite difficult; I wasn't able to solve it in any way yet.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 18, 2017, 07:40:35 AM »
So another attempt:
I tried to fix "Time is Running Out" in a similiar way like geoo did with "Skyline Skydiving". I tried to keep the spirit of the level. Can someone look if the fix makes sense.
Replay and level attached.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 19, 2017, 03:29:58 PM »
I've put all level fixes and all new replays that weren't considered in the first repackaging together. I hope that is okay.

The fix of "Death Slide" is by Simon.
The fix of "Square Squabble" and the fix of "Santa's Workshop" is by mobius.
The fix of "Skyline Skydiving" is by geoo.

I didn't include mobius' replay to the old "Santa's Workshop" of reply #153 since it doesn't work anymore in the fix.

Some suggestions:

- TameLix should be taken out of the package for the moment.
- Concerning the two levels missing a replay:
- "Chaos Theory" and "Korean Border Crossing" have no solving replay (Maybe consider to cut these levels since "Chaos Theory" seems to have been luck based (at least reply #20 in this thread indicates that) and "Korean Border Crossing" seems to be designed for the other tileset (even if that doesn't exclude solvability)).

According to Clam (reply #172) "Chaos Theory" is a nuke level and should therefore be cut.

Edit: Included mobius' replays to new "Santa's Workshop" and new "Square Squabble" of reply #170.
Edit: Now mobius' replay to "Square Squabble" should have the right level data (i.e. the data of the fixed version).
Edit: Clam's replays to "Dig This!" and "Urban Ledge-End" added.
Edit: Attempted fix to "Urban Ledge-End" added to newlevels and my solution to "Urban Ledge-End" removed from newreplays. Changed the level data of Clam's replay to the one of the attempted fix.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 07:43:10 PM by Forestidia86 »

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 19, 2017, 04:10:54 PM »
here are replays for Square Squabble and Santa's workshop.

Santa's workshop is maybe still a tad finicky;

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 19, 2017, 04:30:04 PM »
Thanks mobius.
I actually had already included your replay of the new "Santa's Workshop" that you provided in reply #160.
There you
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 04:40:55 PM by Forestidia86 »

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 20, 2017, 10:10:56 AM »
Hey folks,

Firstly can I just say that you all are amazing solvers and I'm really impressed that you've found pretty much all of my intended solutions in my absence :thumbsup:

Between the replays I've watched (Simon's replay collection on GitHub, and the new zip file), these are the levels I haven't seen intended solutions to:

Backroutes:
Square Dancing: I have various alternate solutions but none involve blocking in the starting platform. That was quite an oversight and I'm not sure how to fix it :-\
Urban Ledge-End: My solution attached, and yes it does involve [trick mentioned in spoilers]. This can probably be enforced by adding steel to prevent the other solutions, though those are nice in their own right and not too dissimilar to mine.
Wrap your head around this one: Jumping into the ceiling is not intended. (This doesn't work in the old version with the trampoline - the lix lands in the wrong place.)

Not intended but not backroutes:
Beaten into shape: Not what I had in mind but arguably fits the title even better! :D
Builders without borders: All my solutions involve some kind of holding pen; good job completing the level without one! Earlier versions had more lix so this was required (not enough walkers).
Over and under and out: Uses the same trick as my solution but seems more complicated and more precision required.
Send in the square squad: My solution is a bit simpler (and doesn't use flinging!)
Turning the screws: I didn't realise you could free the blocker with a falling bomber. Essentially the same solution though.
Dig This: Interesting placement of the digger – thanks to this I found a way to solve this with a digger spare! (attached)
Lix Recycling Plant: Neither is the same as mine, but they use all the skills so it's ok.
Just Drop In: I had no idea you could go over the top. This is great! My solution is more true to the title.
Lost? - It never occurred to me that the umbrella might come into play :XD:. I'm sure if you took the umbrella away you'd find another solution quickly enough :D
Polar Pop: It didn't occur to me that you can get the lix to cross over to the other side (or rather, that doing so would be productive). If you change the pole to steel you might get a solution closer to mine. The skills used and number saved are the same so it's not really a backroute.

Other notes/comments
The replay to Shelf Life desyncs – but due to the nature of the level still solves with 20/40 saved.
Chaos Theory is a nuke level (therefore no longer works) and is completely luck-based :D

I'll post intended solutions to more levels when I get a moment.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 20, 2017, 10:55:54 AM »
Thanks very much, Clam, for taking the time.
My solution to "Beaten into shape" is actually very finicky and basically mashing with hoping that everything goes well.
For "Just drop in" I actually changed the SI to make my solution possible in D-Lix. (In C++-Lix you had variable SI and there it was possible in the original level. Tested with version Simon provided.)

One question: In the last course of dealing with ClamLix I created few small tech demo levels that are based on solutions to your levels. Is it ok, if I post them?

Edit: Another question: Can/Shall we leave the levels you listed in "Not intended but not backroutes" as they are and see the non-intended solutions as alternate routes?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 07:40:40 PM by Forestidia86 »

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 21, 2017, 03:32:42 PM »
Attached an attempted fix to "Urban Ledge-End". My two solutions fail, Clam's still works.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #175 on: November 22, 2017, 02:39:57 AM »
ClamLix 2017-11-22 and its proof collection are attached.

112 of 113 included levels are proven solvable. The only unproven level is Korean Border Crossing. I've removed TameLix and Chaos Theory. I've kept 10 failing replays in the collection for now, but will eventually remove the failing replays.

Thanks to Clam, Forestidia, and mobius for pushing this forward, with many levels and replays shared back and forth! Forestidia's relentless bookeeping made today's packaging easier. I've put this off for so long, but here it is.

We're nearing completion. I'll include ClamLix in the main Lix download once Korean Border Crossing is proven solvable and everybody is happy with the levels.

-- Simon

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 22, 2017, 04:35:50 AM »
An attempted fix and solving replay to that fix to "Korean Border Crossing". I solved it in the C++-Lix version that Simon provided and changed the level to make this solution possible. Testing for (trivial) backroutes is probably needed.

I have played through all of Humane as well: It was quite fun and a nice break from all the tough levels while being not trivial.
I have attached a non-desynched replay to "Shelf Life".
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 06:22:07 AM by Forestidia86 »

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 22, 2017, 07:48:30 AM »
Intended solutions attached to the other levels I mentioned in my previous post.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 22, 2017, 07:51:08 AM »
Thanks very much, Clam.
Can you say which levels you want to have fixed?

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 22, 2017, 09:20:34 AM »
I think just the ones I've listed as backroutes – Square Dancing and Wrap your head around this one. Again I'm not sure how these can be fixed but I'm sure we can think of something :D