Author Topic: Lemmings prototype version?  (Read 1695 times)

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
Lemmings prototype version?
« on: December 29, 2010, 07:31:57 PM »
I just found this page on a site called "The Cutting Room Floor":  http://tcrf.net/Proto:Lemmings

Apparently it has 5 levels available and minor differences in the required numbers of Lemmings saved.  It seems to be a demo of sorts, probably sent to magazines before the release.

Also, while it doesn't say it directly, I believe it has that loading screen that is shown in The Lemmings Story.  Mike Dailly says there that it was only used on the editor disks, but it is used here.  The article on TCRF actually has a clean screenshot of it!

This is cool, but there doesn't seem to be any information on this demo's origins or anything.  I tried to find a disk image of it to no success.  Anyone else have some information?  Perhaps with a copy of it there is some other interesting unused stuff to be found in the data.

Offline Lemmy556

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings prototype version?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 09:59:12 PM »
Tried this. You can find it from Planet Emulation.

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
Re: Lemmings prototype version?
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 06:20:05 AM »
Ah, thanks for the tip.  I wouldn't have looked there since it's in French and everything.

I took a quick look at it and perhaps it's not much exciting but still a good milestone in Lemmings stuff to note.  A few things I noticed:

-Indeed the "unused" loading screen is used.  In the disk files it is available as a stand-alone file, but I can only read it in Workbench. not in Windows.  I imagine it's a DPaint formatted file or something and that's why.
-The "out" counter is always 3 digits, in the final it changes based on how many digits the actual number of Lemmings out has.
-The game is one of few words.  It just says "Well done, target reached" when you beat a level (and then automatically proceeds to the next level) and "Not enough I'm afraid" if you don't.  Percentages here are displayed similarly to that out counter, always in 3 digits with extra spaces padded with 0s.
-No sounds when Lemmings drown.  (However, this seems to be intentional-- the message you get at the end of the game promotes "full blown sound effects that are not in this demo")
-More than 100 lemmings!  "Watch Out, There's Traps About" has 120.
-I don't remember if this is true for the final or not, but the exit in "If At First You Don't Succeed" is mispositioned two pixels too low.
-I also don't remember if this applies to the final or not, but the samples used in the music are stand-alone files on the disk.