Author Topic: No Music on very old Lemmings game  (Read 10187 times)

Melissa McCready

No Music on very old Lemmings game
« on: October 07, 2004, 03:28:30 AM »
I have the very old pc Lemmings game-by Psygnosis 1991.  It would always work before, it might be that I have windows XP now, I don't know.  But there is no music.  I have the music turned on  and my volume control on and I've tried it in all kinds of compatability modes.  Got any suggestions?  Is there any web sites that have a driver I might need?
Thanks

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
Re: No Music on very old Lemmings game
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 03:40:23 PM »
Try using Dosbox. It's a program that emulates Dos and you can play old games correctly!
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Re: No Music on very old Lemmings game
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 11:10:58 PM »
Quote from: Melissa McCready  link=1097119710/0#0 date=1097119710
I have the very old pc Lemmings game-by Psygnosis 1991.  It would always work before, it might be that I have windows XP now, I don't know.  But there is no music.  I have the music turned on  and my volume control on and I've tried it in all kinds of compatability modes.  Got any suggestions?  Is there any web sites that have a driver I might need?
Thanks

The problem is the game uses this rather dated FM music synthesis capability call "Adlib", which is likely no longer present on most new soundcards that are in used nowadays.

In addition to DOSBox which I haven't tried, I've found that for XP, one solution is to try VDMSound, which provides support for Adlib for DOS programs via software emulation.  See http://www.ece.mcgill.ca/~vromas/vdmsound/.  This has worked fairly well for me, especially with some tweaking.