Author Topic: Just wondering... am I the only one who still uses LemEdit?  (Read 2207 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Just wondering... am I the only one who still uses LemEdit?
« on: August 16, 2010, 04:00:11 PM »
I never really liked the Lemmix Editor. Sure, it has useful features (showing trigger areas majorly comes to mind), but in general, I always just liked the interface of LemEdit better. Perhaps it's a matter of me being more used to that, but I find it so much easier and friendlier to use.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Just wondering... am I the only one who still uses LemEdit?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 08:32:42 PM »
I don't know, but you may well be the only one who's actively creating new L1 levels and still using LemEdit.  I think Dullstar may still using LemEdit, partly because he doesn't run Windows, and he also has complains about Lemmix's UI.

It's probably a combination of you being more used to LemEdit, and the simple fact that Lemmix has not been updated once since its initial release.  I'll have to go back to one of your old posts where you explain exactly which aspects of Lemmix you hate, since off the top of my head, I'm not actually really seeing that much difference between the two.  Two major differences off top of my head:

1) the setup required before Lemmix is usable.  Yeah, no contest there, although part of it is due to Lemmix trying to be usable across multiple versions of Lemmings (original Lemmings, ONML, Xmas, CustLemm, etc.).  I'd agree a better approach would be a way to at least default back to looking at the same directory the EXE's placed at (similar to LemEdit) for the necessary resources, like LemEdit.

2) LemEdit has a more usable menu bar than Lemmix, exposing more options at the top level compare to Lemmix.  Though I suppose it's less of a concern if you're used to using keyboard shortcuts to bring up the important windows in Lemmix.

To me, I think the main strengths of Lemmix are as follows:

1) not requiring a DOSBox setup to use.  Even if you're using the patched version so that it works in the DOSBox in the first place, some operations (eg. file loading and saving) are still rather slow.  [Of course, this is also a disadvantage if you are not running Windows.]

2) cut and paste and multi-select support (though the latter could use some improvement)

3) zoom

4) seamlessly go between playtesting and level editing

I suppose one of these days I could try to update Lemmix (not sure if Erik ever gave me the missing files though), but given that currently you are the only one actively creating new levels and you aren't even using it, you can see why it's hard to find the motivation. ;)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 09:57:08 PM »
Okay, found your post:

Apart from that, I find Lemmix quite hard to use. For example, having to add a terrain piece/object first, THEN choose where it goes, is annoying to me. There's also the fact that it tries to have a different setup for pretty much every Lemmings version. Simply unnessecary, I like LemEdit's clean way of just loading the graphic set based on the number. The one thing I do like about Lemmix is the built in player - which it then nullifies the point of by having the save/load state of the Lemmix clones not present in it (and therefore, I just use the normal Lemmix clones with LookForLVLFiles turned on for testing).

I'll keep that as a reference for the highly unlikely event that I'd do something about it. ;)  Yeah, the terrain/object insertion handling is lame I have to admit, especially if you're used to LemEdit's more natural way of handling that.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 03:23:14 PM »
I always wondered whether it might be worth trying to do a full Windows-compatible LemEdit clone (obviously, with VGASPEC and trigger area support), but between me being lazy and me not understanding the compression algorithm very well... :/
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 09:21:43 PM »
I don't know, but you may well be the only one who's actively creating new L1 levels and still using LemEdit.  I think Dullstar may still using LemEdit, partly because he doesn't run Windows, and he also has complains about Lemmix's UI.

I use both of them.  LemEdit has strengths and weaknesses and Lemmix has strengths and weaknesses.  Also, I do run Windows on one of the two computers I actively use on a normal basis (said computer also runs Mac OS X.)  I first tried giving the other computer XP/Ubuntu dual boot but it wasn't working very well so I just gave it Ubuntu.  As soon as I get it fixed, I might move a third computer running DOS up here (something in it broke, my brother and I are going to get a replacement part eventually), and then I won't have to worry about DOSbox for LemEdit and testing levels.