Author Topic: Can't progress past first levels in L2 (The Tribes)  (Read 2309 times)

Offline zhebrica

• View Profile
Can't progress past first levels in L2 (The Tribes)
« on: April 20, 2010, 07:10:44 PM »
I'm having problems getting Lemmings 2 to work properly. It lets me play the first level of each tribe, but when I beat it and choose to go to the next level, it just puts me back at the main menu. Saving the game doesn't work either.

I've tried it on computers running Vista and XP (both with Dosbox) and had the same issue.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Can't progress past first levels in L2 (The Tribes)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 07:49:05 PM »
This is a common problem.  If you want to run Lemmings 2 on any version of Windows past Win98, it is strongly suggest that you use a patched version that fixes the problem you described, and also to try running it in DOSBox instead of directly in Windows.

The patched version is available here.  Run "L2-fix" instead of "L2" to run the patched version of the game which fixes the "can't get to next level" problem you described.  When you run L2-fix, press ENTER to get past the text it shows when it starts so it goes to the actual game.

While it may not be absolutely necessary, if you still have this or other problems with the game when running it in Windows, try running it inside the "DOSBox" program, a free emulator of DOS (and also emulation of old computer hardware from the DOS era).  You can get the latest version here.  You will probably want to read their instructions/readme file before you begin using it, as there are some additional steps you need to do before running a game (eg. mounting a directory).

Offline zhebrica

• View Profile
Re: Can't progress past first levels in L2 (The Tribes)
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 08:19:22 PM »
The patched version fixed it, now it's working fine on both machines. Thanks very much for the help!