Author Topic: Lemming Island: Custom map in Lemmings2 Styles.  (Read 2020 times)

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
Lemming Island: Custom map in Lemmings2 Styles.
« on: March 21, 2010, 02:53:38 AM »
Map: Lemming Island

Here's a map for everyone.  There is a 'Fun' (can be used as a practice version) and there is a Mayhem version, for those who want to take on a huge challenge.

This is 'lemming Island' 
Think of the picture map of Lemmings 2 , showing each tribe around the island, this is what it is.  The map is broken into 12

tribe sections, which flow into each other 1 after the other, like a journey around the island.   

This was built in L++, so you will need to download L++ and this map to play it.
I have made a promo video for this, as I love video making.  Check it out, then read on, if interested in playing it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TtWan80DAU

Note: I'm sure the % of people who actually stick this out to complete version#2 will be very few, mainly due to the time

involved to complete it, but I can assure you, it's got some nice puzzles to be solved.  The whole thing flows very well

together.    Version#1 should give you some good Lemmings2 visual enjoyment though, if you only want to play this casually.
Abilities are of the 'classic' game, not L2 abilities.  Climb, float, bomb(kbstyle), block, bridge, bash, mine, dig. 

Tribe Puzzles range from Tricky to Mayhem.

I will post a full completion video of my replay on youtube later (a lot later, don't want to spoil any puzzles until it's been out for a bit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 versions are available:

Version#1 Fun: Time limit=11 min's

Each tribe has its own hatch and exit in their tribal area.  Casual lemming players may enjoy this more, by seeing which

tribe areas you can complete.  You are given more than enough abilities to solve any single tribe, which can act as a good

'reference' that you are not going to be over-using abilities in an area, if practicing for version 2 of the map. 
Note: Obviously as there are exits for each tribe, you are working towards getting each lemmings in his own area to the exit

of that tribe.  Going backwards to get in another exit would be pointless.

Version#2: Mayhem/Sunsoft: Time limit=75 min's (it's easily more than enough!)

1 Hatch, 1 Exit.   You start from the beginning of the map (cavelems) and journey through all 12 tribes to the finish.

Note:Just taking a few lemmings through the whole map is actually a lot of fun also, though i've given a reasonable 80% rescue needed, if you actually want to complete it in full.

By the way: 100% "IS possible" (ask geoo)   

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tips for full completion:

-Strongly suggest practicing each tribes puzzles in version#1 first, unless you love the idea of 'tackle it when you see it' and prove to yourself that you are a superlemming :)

-L++ has a savestate feature which Is a lovely addition for continuing something that went wrong.  After you die, replay starts when you hit replay level right away and will play through what you did until you died(just click somewhere in the play field to continue from that point)

-Replays can be saved for later play, and again you can just click in the screen to stop a replay and continue on from there, this is going to be very useful for full completion.  Work at your own speed!

-Just because you have solved an area, doesn't mean the 'pack' needs to follow until necessary ;)  You can let a lemming(s)  go on ahead , working through the next puzzle(s)

-Once you have assigned a climber or 2, you have to remember this at all times , if going for a huge % saved achievement.   

Don't let a climber slip your memory and walk off a cliff like a lemming would(errr wait a second....) 
dig yourself a little safe place 'if' you feel you need to.

-There are no hidden traps.  Anything that is going to kill you is completely visible.

-Conserve abilities, remember you have 12 tribes to get through. 

I have tested each area many many times to check the usage of abilities for each tribe area, and have also tallied numbers for how few of each ability a tribe can be completed with. 

(there are definitely more than enough abilities given to complete everything, don't be overly worried that you will get to the end finding you dont have enough abilities left, as long as you play it smart without spamming abilities.

-Backroutes in an area 'might' be found, though I have spent a lot of time trying other routes to no avail so far, but seriously, if something is found, it's not even going to make a dent in the overall experience of the entire map.

Note: No unintended physics/glitches/bugs/exploits are used in puzzles, all normal game mechanics will be enough to complete this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fewest moves competition:Fun 
how few abilities can you complete each tribe with?

Note:  This doesn't mean that mayhem mode will be the same, as there are minor differences in fun mode which are there to hold each tribe in their start location(instead of walking into death or crossing what would be a path for another tribe)

Fewest moves competition:Mayhem 
Go go go..

And that's all folks.. If this turns out well for the community, I will make another nice project in the future.

http://download603.mediafire.com/y5zkiijl20bg/l255llynqm2/LemmingIsland%28lplusplus%29.zip

Goodluck.

Thanks
RubiX

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
Re: Lemming Island: Custom map in Lemmings2 Styles.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 04:17:24 AM »
Reserved (for stats etc)

updates:

geoo has found a pretty interesting back-route for the first half of Circus.   Nice one :)

Offline Kyras

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 01:42:34 AM »
need some tips for Ejypt tribe. the dig location is too low, and you cant build properl.y enough to get them all through the top

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 04:35:10 PM »
need some tips for Ejypt tribe. the dig location is too low, and you cant build properl.y enough to get them all through the top

You are right , both of those ideas don't work, so.. try something else ;)