Author Topic: Should Challenges have their own board?  (Read 5803 times)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Should Challenges have their own board?
« on: October 16, 2009, 10:38:35 PM »
I saw this in another topic, so let's see what people think.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Re: Should Challenges have their own board?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 06:42:06 AM »
Whoa, I was going to say no for that one, but I realised how many categoric challenges there were, as they were overtaking the Lemmings Discussion board. But now, I say yes. Which reminds me, I would like to delete my maximum skills thread, because I locked it thinking that everyone didn't like it very much.

Also, I don't like the weighted version of the minimum skills thread, because I once posted results until namida said no, and then this turned into an agreement which made the whole topic so unpopular. I would close down any threads which rely on agreements and arguments by all users if only I had the chance to be a moderator.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 01:13:36 PM »
I voted no. There's still only five pages of posts on the Lemmings Discussion board. It's not exactly hard to find the topic you're looking for, challenge or non-challenge.

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 02:10:54 PM »
I've voted yes, for 3 reasons in particular.

• I disagree with Proxima, and I think finding the challenge thread you're after is difficult. There are lots of other threads in there, and it's easy to overlook the one you're after, or at least, i've done that too many times. By keeping all challenge threads in one list, it'll be a lot easier to find it.
  • Some challenges have faded into obscurity, even though they aren't completed yet. Keeping all challenge threads together will reduce the chances of this happening.
  • I think challenge threads are fun, engaging, and deserving of a board of their own. :)
SEGA Master System version
100% on 110/120 levels (92%). Other levels [Lemmings lost]:
Fun 03 [3], 06 [2], 18 [5]   
Taxing 19 [5], 27 [1], 28 [3]
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 07:18:48 PM »
I vote yes.  There are certainly enough topics to warrant a separate section for them.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 01:43:49 AM »
I voted no. There's still only five pages of posts on the Lemmings Discussion board. It's not exactly hard to find the topic you're looking for, challenge or non-challenge.
As the forums get older, this number will grow...  and grow...  and grow...  and grow...  and gr -- well, you get the idea.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 01:02:54 PM »
I say yes, but not a main forum of their own, rather, they should have a subforum in Lemmings Discussion. I actually was going to suggest this myself, then saw this topic already here.

Also: Just because there's disagreement on how a challenge should be run doesn't make it grounds for locking. Especially when the author specifically asked for input.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 12:38:19 AM »
I say yes, but not a main forum of their own, rather, they should have a subforum in Lemmings Discussion.

I think there's enough content in the challenge threads to be worth a board alongside Lemmings Discussion, and not below it. Anyway, the forum seems to have spoken here, so I think it's time this new board was established.

If it'll help, I'll go through the Lemmings Discussion forum and list all the challenge threads here.

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 01:25:48 AM »
Well, I've given this poll enough time, and it's pretty much all "yes" so one will be established.

I'm not too familiar with the challenge threads myself (not enough time these days to attempt them so I just don't look at all) so if I could get a list like Clam Spammer was thinking of making, then I'll make the board and start moving threads.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 01:47:21 AM »
The funny thing is, now that you decided to act, none of the challenge threads have had much recent activities anymore. :XD:  I guess you could still go ahead with the new board and see if that actually lead to any renewed activities on those threads.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 03:39:13 AM »
It probably will spark some more activity in those threads.
I have an idea for a challenge thread, so...

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 04:02:17 AM »
Clam, don't forget my new topic!

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 07:59:28 AM »
OK, here's the list.
What is the maximum number of skills needed to beat each level? (not really a challenge, but intended to be so)

I've recently locked this one. It's a very tedious challenge to every single level. :XD:
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 08:35:14 PM »
The list is up. I don't know about anyone else, but I've got plenty of time for challenges right now, so you can expect some activity at least.

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2009, 10:15:14 PM »
Whoops, I had already forgotten about this >_<
Going to do it right now.

EDIT: Done.  If I missed any, post a link here and I'll get it.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 10:42:10 PM »
Cool, thanks!  It's actually impressive that there are already more than 1 page's worth of threads! :o ;)

Offline GuyPerfect

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 12:23:10 AM »
Oh, sweet culling of the inferior genome! I didn't know I'd ever be able to look in Lemmings Discussion and see so many worthwhile threads all at once!

*Praise and extolment*

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2009, 04:27:26 AM »
Thanks Mr. K! :thumbsup: