Author Topic: Lemmings MegaDrive/Genesis Levels  (Read 3779 times)

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
Lemmings MegaDrive/Genesis Levels
« on: September 05, 2009, 01:28:01 PM »
All credit and thanks for this needs to go to ccexplore. I'm only posting this since it's been asked for. ;)

I was going to upload the files myself, but I've just had a look and everything you need to play these levels in Lemmix and CustLemm is still available in the thread on the old forum, here. I'll add links to the files below, but please make sure to read ccexplore's instructions on both pages 3 and 4 in that thread before trying to use them.

http://www.geocities.com/guestlevels/lemmings/genlvls_6-12-07.zip
http://www.geocities.com/guestlevels/lemmings/genspeclvls.zip
http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/lemmingswelt/index.php?cmd=get&file=/GenesisGroundX.zip

I mention (as SgB) on that thread about tidying up the levels a bit. I still have these edited versions and have attached them to this post. They're in DAT format and use the original 100 lemming limit. Please note that to play these attached levels without problems you MUST also use the modifield GroundX.dat file linked to above and described in the instructions.

Enjoy. :thumbsup:

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings MegaDrive/Genesis Levels
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 04:09:51 PM »
I've just been catching up on the level review topic, and noticed that ccexplore himself had mentioned these levels recently! Oh well, at least I saved you the effort. :-[ :)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 05:03:54 PM »
CustLemm is also available on the Lemmings Archive.
Sorry, misread a post.

I thought you were talking about GETTING CustLemm

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 08:01:50 PM »
CustLemm is also available on the Lemmings Archive.

Unnecessary to THIS thread. Anyway, I went along the pack and came across an impossible level. It's called Everyone turn left (The Tricky one).
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 08:22:06 PM »
Don't know how that's happened. I'm sure I've played and completed that level in Lemmix before. :-\

Looking at it in the editor the one-way triggers are too high. Lower them all by 4 pixels and you should be able to complete it.

EDIT: The same thing also applies to the repeat version, Present 12 (Balance Beam).

EDIT: Ignore this post. See below.

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 09:12:35 PM »
By setting up and using the Genesis style (described by this post), I was able to beat the level on Lemmix without modifying the level.

In case something happens to the website..

I'm still not done reviewing the levels, but I have finished making the alternate GroundXo.dat files for the Genesis levels.

http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/lemmingswelt/index.php?cmd=get&file=/GenesisGroundX.zip

There are two sets of GroundXo files in that zip file.  One set ends in "G" (eg. Ground0G.dat), and the other set ends in "H".  In both sets, I modified the trigger areas of various objects to better match the values in Genesis Lemmings.  The G set also has the palettes (ie. color scheme) modified so that it looks more like the Genesis graphics; the H set uses the original palettes of PC-DOS Lemmings.

How to use:  if you use Lemmix to play these levels, you can create a new style to make use of these files.  First, make sure to exit all running instances of Lemmix.  Then make a backup copy of the LemmixStyles.ini file in case you mess up the following steps and Lemmix stops working.  Now open up LemmixStyles.ini in a text editor.  Add the following to the beginning of the file:

[style_10]
StyleClass=TDosOhNoStyle
CommonPath=C:\Lemmix\
MainDataFile=main.dat
OddTableFile=
StyleDescription=Sega Genesis/Megadrive
StyleName=Genesis

(change the value for CommonPath from "C:\Lemmix\" to the correct path on your computer, pointing to the directory where Lemmix resides)

Then add the following at the end of the file:

[Genesis_0]
GraphicSetClass=TBaseDosGraphicSet
BrickColor=4291854368
GraphicExtFile=
GraphicFile=VGAGR0.DAT
GraphicSetArchive=
GraphicSetId=0
GraphicSetIdExt=0
GraphicSetName=Dirt
MetaInfoFile=GROUND0G.DAT

[Genesis_1]
BrickColor=4278214800
GraphicExtFile=
GraphicFile=VGAGR1.DAT
GraphicSetArchive=
GraphicSetId=1
GraphicSetIdExt=0
GraphicSetName=Fire
MetaInfoFile=GROUND1G.DAT

[Genesis_2]
BrickColor=4290818288
GraphicExtFile=
GraphicFile=VGAGR2.DAT
GraphicSetArchive=
GraphicSetId=2
GraphicSetIdExt=0
GraphicSetName=Marble
MetaInfoFile=GROUND2G.DAT

[Genesis_3]
BrickColor=4293980256
GraphicExtFile=
GraphicFile=VGAGR3.DAT
GraphicSetArchive=
GraphicSetId=3
GraphicSetIdExt=0
GraphicSetName=Pillar
MetaInfoFile=GROUND3G.DAT

[Genesis_4]
BrickColor=4293980400
GraphicExtFile=
GraphicFile=VGAGR4.DAT
GraphicSetArchive=
GraphicSetId=4
GraphicSetIdExt=0
GraphicSetName=Crystal
MetaInfoFile=GROUND4G.DAT

Notice how in each section the "MetaInfoFile" points to the new files I provided.  If you want to use the H set instead of the G set, simply change it to GROUNDxH wherever you see GROUNDxG above.

Save your changes to LemmixStyles.ini.  Then, unzip/copy the GroundXG/H files to the directory where Lemmix resides.  Also copy the VGAGRx.DAT files from DOS Lemmings or CustLemm into the Lemmix directory if you haven't already done so.  Now, to check that it's working, run Lemmix, and open one of the extracted Genesis LVL level file.  Lemmix would then make you pick a style to be used.  If you change LemmixStyles.ini as above, the drop-down list of styles should now have an entry named "Sega Genesis/Megadrive" at the end of the list.  Selecting that style and click OK, and the level should open using my Genesis style.

======================

If you use CustLemm or one of the original PC-DOS Lemmings game to play, the best thing to do is to make a copy of the entire folder containing CustLemm/Lemmings, to be used exclusively for playing the Genesis levels.  Then in that folder, copy the GroundXG (or GroundXH if you prefer) files over the original GroundXo files.  This means deleting the old GroundXo files, copy the new GroundXG/H files into the folder, and then renaming them so they end in "o" like the original files.

--------------------------------------

I don't know if other ports/clones of Lemmings besides the ones mentioned above use GroundXo.dat files, so these files probably won't be of use for Amiga Lemmings, WinLemm or Lemmini.
SEGA Master System version
100% on 110/120 levels (92%). Other levels [Lemmings lost]:
Fun 03 [3], 06 [2], 18 [5]   
Taxing 19 [5], 27 [1], 28 [3]
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 09:23:20 PM »
Oh dear. I could have sworn I'd selected the correct style last time but I've just tried again and now it's working, so evidently I hadn't done before.

minimac (and everyone else), make sure you do follow the instructions and use the correct style. If you don't then it's likely to cause problems on other levels as well.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 09:31:38 PM »
I should note that because of the differences in objects' trigger areas, if you read the old thread you'll note that I made two versions of many of the levels, one that you can use the existing DOS Lemmings styles to play, and another that uses the Genesis styles.  Using the Genesis styles will result in a more authentic experience though, even if you need to do more to set it up.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 05:32:41 PM »
Soon, will you post those level packs up on the Lemmings file archive?

Actually, I've done it for you. ;)
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 05:13:20 PM »
I see the level files are on the level archive (in case the copies I have now  are no good) but... yeah I get this is an old thread but, any chance anyone still has the other two files? Don't worry, sorted!
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 10:27:35 AM »
If you go on the level archive (see in the Level Designing board), all the Genesis levels were uploaded there (if you sort ascending by name, they're the first ones in the list). Apart from the 5 special graphics ones, it has images of them all.

For the special graphic ones images, check my NeoLemmix development topic; Tsyu gave me copies of all the special graphics level terrains there.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 07:56:25 PM »
Fair point, the level archive have no awareness of custom styles and would not be able to render in anything other than the standard PC graphics, even though a style was created for PC Lemmings to use the Megadrive's color palette.

Instead try this:  thanks to archive.org (aka Wayback Machine), http://www.deveria.com/alexis/lemmings's contents are still available despite the site no longer live anymore.  You can get screenshots for individual levels through a URL like below:

https://web.archive.org/web/20121124064532im_/http://www.deveria.com/alexis/lemmings/lemmings/gen/fun01.png

Replace "fun01" accordingly to get to other levels: use "tri" for Tricky, "tax" for Taxing, "may" for Mayhem, "pres" for Present, and "sun" for Sunsoft.  Note: for levels that are repeats of earlier levels, the site typically reuses the screenshot from the earlier level.  So for example, there is no "sun01.png" because "pres19.png" already covered that.

(For convenience, here's the webpage containing the entire level list for Megadrive:  https://web.archive.org/web/20121124064532/http://www.deveria.com/alexis/lemmings/lemmings/gen/gencodes.html )

Note also that because they are screenshots, the entrance, exit, water/liquid, traps, etc. objects are also included, which may not be what you want.