Author Topic: Single Letter Word Game  (Read 42737 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Single Letter Word Game
« on: August 11, 2009, 05:59:44 AM »
Okay, I thought I'd try something new here.

Here's the rules:
1) On your turn, you post one letter. This letter is added to the current string of letters. For example, if the previous two people posted L, C and Z, and you posted V, the string would then be LCZV.
2) Any words of at least three letters that end the current string, you gain an amount of points equal to the number of letters in that word. For example, if the current string is RAI, and you post N, you get 4 points for the word "RAIN".
3) You can get multiple words, as long as they're all at the end. For example, if the string becomes "CAPE", you would get 4 points for cape and 3 points for ape. However, you would not get any points for cap (the previous player, of course, would have got points for it).
4) The string can only be up to 10 letters long. If it's already 10 letters, when you add your letter to the end, the letter at the start of it should be dropped. For example, if the string is "ABCDEFGHIJ", you would drop the A when you post your new letter, to keep it from going over 10 letters.
5) Once you take a turn, you may not play again until either 3 other people have made a move, or one other person has made a move and 12 hours have passed since your last play. This rule is only in effect from the post on Page 7 announcing it. (Any posts before that announcement are subject to the old rule, which is simply that you may not play twice in a row.)
6) Please repost the entire string in your post, to save everyone from having to look back.
7) Bonus: Getting a 8+ letter word gives you an extra 5 points. Getting 3 or more words in one turn gives you an extra 5 points. You may get both bonuses in a single turn, but you can only get each bonus once per turn.
8) You must point out the words yourself (however, it's acceptable to not point out what they're worth). If you miss one, you lose the points for it. Posts that are edited before being added to the scoreboard are completely void (however, their letter remains in the chain), posts that are edited afterwards retain the credit they had before but do not get any new points for words that were missed. You are not required to specifically point out if you get a bonus. (However, doing so is nice!)
9) While not essential, if you're using obscure words, a reference link is nice.
10) If two or more posts are made at the same or similar time, resulting in both players adding a letter to the same place, please ignore all but the first post. For example, if the string is "XKC", and one person posts D making it "XKCD", and the other posts E making it "XKCE" (instead of the second person seeing the post with D and adding to this), the current string is "XKCD" not "XKCE". In the same way, if the second poster's letter would have got them points, they do not get these points as someone else has already added a letter to that point. If you accidentally do post and miss out a previous player's turn, please edit your post to remove your turn, to avoid confusion.

What words count or don't count:
1) Names of people or places do not count (unless they have another valid use that doesn't fall into these categories). "Stephen" is not acceptable because it exists only as a person's name. "Hope" is fine because even though it's a name, it also has a normal meaning. "Japan" is not acceptable because it is only the name of a country. However, "Turkey" is fine because it has a normal meaning as well. The same goes for words derived from these. For example, "American" does not count because it is derived from the name of a place, America.
2) Plurals, past tense, -ing forms, and so on, do count. However, note that this is only true if the form does not require an apostrophe - unless someone's actually going to go and use an apostrophe as their letter. >_>
3) Overly rude words do not count. To avoid argument, the words considered "overly rude" are the F word, the C word, and the S word, as well as any racial slurs that don't have other, non-offensive meanings. This means that words like "Damn", "Crap" and "Ass" are acceptable. Don't like it, don't play, or find other words to aim for. Just to clarify, in case someone tries to get around this: Plurals and verb conjugations of these words also do not count.
4) Both British and American English are acceptable. So, both "Mum" and "Mom" count.
5) Namida's decision is final as to whether a word counts or not, and in the absence of a contradicting decision by Namida, the mods and admins of the forums also have the authority to decide if a word is valid or not. However, this does not mean you can't contest their decision if you disagree - if you think a word they have ruled as valid shouldn't be, or one they ruled as invalid is actually valid, mention this, preferably with some kind of reference link.

Scoreboard:
namida - 194
minimac94 - 80
Yawg - 26
LemSteven - 18
Dullstar - 16
Pooty - 12
Chmera - 7

And I'll start us off with the letter:
L
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Re: Single Letter Word Game
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 06:08:34 AM »
[That's a lot of rules, Okay, this is my letter]

I
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 06:13:58 AM »
[Yeah, it is, but it's pretty simple. Just hard to explain.]

E

Current string: LIE

3 points for the word "Lie"
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 06:14:51 AM »
LIED

4 Points
Finally released my 6th level pack! Ten levels intended to push you quite a bit beyond the expectations of Mayhem/Havoc; check 'em out and let me know what you think!

http://camanis.net/lemmings/levelpacks.php?info&pack=174

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 06:16:58 AM »
A

String: LIEDA

No new points.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 06:20:00 AM »
D

LIEDAD

3 points for DAD
Finally released my 6th level pack! Ten levels intended to push you quite a bit beyond the expectations of Mayhem/Havoc; check 'em out and let me know what you think!

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 06:21:11 AM »
LIEDADO

3 points for ADO (Yippee! my first points of the game)
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 06:21:33 AM »
LIEDADOT

3 points for Dot
My Lemmings projects

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 06:25:10 AM »
LIEDADOTS

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 06:27:05 AM »
Plural words are acceptable. So that's 4 points.

LIEDADOTSU

No new words
My Lemmings projects

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 06:27:55 AM »
N

LIEDADOTSUN

Sun for 3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 06:29:53 AM »
IEDADOTSUNN

4 points for Sunn
My Lemmings projects

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 06:30:37 AM »
Y

DADOTSUNNY

Sunny for 5

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 06:32:12 AM »
ADOTSUNNYL

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 06:32:52 AM »
DOTSUNNYLA

No new words
My Lemmings projects