Author Topic: Graphic style proposal - what spirit should the recreations have?  (Read 1532 times)

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
Basically as above in poll.

Seems a better question than asking what kind of style would be best for each style in Lemmings, I'll ask what spirit you would prefer.

Doesn't matter what you vote, I'm just interested. MAY swing my mind, but I doubt it. I vote option 3 because I like to think I somewhat have a sense of creativity.

What do you think?
This Lemmings forum is simply *fabulous*!

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Graphic style proposal - what spirit should the recreations have?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 09:59:50 AM »
I was still replying to your post in the "Pink Style remake" thread when you deleted the threads.  Anyway:

Sorry for the confusion, you weren't more explicit that you were thinking of brand new styles applied to old levels; it wasn't really clear from your posts what you were going for.  Maybe it's mistake for you to try to associate your new styles with the existing styles.  It makes it sound like you want to somehow keep features from the existing styles in your new styles, which isn't always the case.

Depending on which terrain pieces the level uses, I think some levels in original Lemmings could've been implemented in a different style out of the 5 styles in original Lemmings.  This means 2 levels in the original game that have the same style don't have to be so in your remake, and vice versa.  With that in mind, maybe all you really need to do is make sure your 5 (or more) brand-new styles have a good variety of geometric, organic, abstract and decorative elements, so that any level from the original game can be adapted with varying degrees of success to any one of your new styles.

Keep in mind that by being selective about which terrain pieces a level make use of, the look of a level can come out fairly different from what you stereotypically imagine the style to be.  For example, Mayhem 1 "Steel Works" uses the Dirt Style, but the near-exclusive use of steel pieces in that level makes it look quite different from how you think a stereotypical Dirt Style level would look.

Anyway, in terms of your poll, I'll vote for "get creative" since it sounds like that's what you have been envisioning all along.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Re: Graphic style proposal - what spirit should the recreations have?
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 03:00:14 AM »
No matter what people say, getting creative is your best option.  Period.