Author Topic: Custom Level Review Game  (Read 77142 times)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Level Review Game
« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2009, 04:09:47 AM »
Well, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place for bad stuff to say about levels, but I've got to say something. When I start picking out minor issues or personal preferences, you know there's not much bad about the level. :)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2009, 10:00:08 AM »
Lemmings Plus DOS demo - Level 5 - The Long Road To Lemming High

Lemmings: 60
Save: 30 (50%)
RR: 20
Time: 9 minutes
Skills: 40 each

Good: Forces you to choose between tackling an inconvenient one-way wall and dodging some traps in a tight space. Not trivial either way. 100% isn't a simple matter, even with so many skills available (and especially if you insist on doing it without glitches)

Bad: Looks messy with the exit and traps obscured by terrain. And somehow, this level doesn't seem appropriate for an "x of each skill" version of the harder original (I presume this is the case).

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2009, 11:29:20 AM »
TLRTLH is actually a fairly rare case among the levels from this pack, the easier one being made first then the harder version being done later. The only other cases I can think of where this happened is Mild 2 / Danger 3, Mild 10 / Wimpy 3, and in some ways, Danger 27 / PSYCHO 12 (but in this case, the one that's now Danger 27 was originally in PSYCHO, and the Danger one was an easier version, but I upped the % requirement to 100% upon finding a way to acheive this, thus making it far harder than the original, and thus moved the original back down to Danger - this is that pair The Deadly Climb + Not Gonna Work).

One thing that I have noticed is there's quite a few levels I've made like this one where you start at the bottom and go to the top. The most obvious one being No Salvation of course, but also "Express Lane" (and it's easier version) and "No Time To Die".
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Joemon

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 27, 2009, 05:08:29 PM »
Would anybody be interested in reviewing my 3rd levelpak after this levelpak is fnished?

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 28, 2009, 03:40:55 AM »
Would anybody be interested in reviewing my 3rd levelpak after this levelpak is fnished?

I'd like to throw my 10th pack out as a possible review pack after Joemon's 3rd pack, I figure when we get through the rest of L+ preview and Joemon's pack I should be done with it.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Joemon

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 28, 2009, 01:51:27 PM »

I'd like to throw my 10th pack out as a possible review pack after Joemon's 3rd pack, I figure when we get through the rest of L+ preview and Joemon's pack I should be done with it.

That would be cool. How many levels have you got done now?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2009, 08:36:44 AM »
Come on, I definately want some feedback on the rest of the levels (especially Die The Death Of The Damned and Bullet Lemming); this is where it starts to get good!!!

(Do keep in mind that the bomb-down-then-build-across backroute in Coalburner has since been fixed - the fix should not affect any other solution in any way - and when doing Bullet Lemming, if your version has 12 builders, you have the old version of the level - the new one has only 11, in all other ways it's identical.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 02, 2009, 08:45:51 AM »
Level 6: Die the Death of the Damned

[level6 image, where is it?]

Save 20/20
6 Builders, 1 basher

RR 50, 3 minutes

Good: A lot of terrain that seems to fit the idea of "well, you're screwed :P" -- a solid, albeit not horribly well disguised way to introduce a not well-known method of crowd control. The "twist" at the end is neat and even a player who "gets" the idea behind the level will need to revise his path a few times before getting the solution right.

Bad: The skills given make the solution fairly obvious to those who have seen it before; there's 6 pits, and 6 builders. There's one wall, and one basher. Keeping the RR as it is doesn't work, so....
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #113 on: October 02, 2009, 09:54:44 AM »
That's mostly the point of it. It's meant to break the "control the release rate to get lemmings where you want them rather than just to get them out quicker or bypass traps" method in a way that makes it obvious that that's what you have to do, so you're prepared for later levels that rely on this as just one part of a complicated solution.
My Lemmings projects

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 02, 2009, 10:32:09 AM »
it's a good level and I needed SOMETHING as a bad point  :P
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #115 on: October 02, 2009, 11:45:57 AM »
That's true.
It originally also gave you a climber, a digger and a second basher, as well as having RR99.
Then on the easier version (standard 20-of-all, RR50 kind of thing), I was looking for a minimum skills solution. I eventually of course found myself wondering if 7 was possible, and kept getting closer and closer, then eventually found a (suprisingly simple but not instantly obvious) release rate pattern that allowed it to be solved with only the skills to make the route. I then modified the hard version to enforce this, since it was much harder than the level previously was.

Bullet Lemming is another case of this, as I mentioned just before - it originally gave 12 builders, then I found a solution using only 11 (basically, just using another lemming to perform the tasks of one you'd otherwise have turn around with a builder - and getting this single lemming out is quite a challenge in itself, making the level harder).

By the way: Images can be found here:
http://camanis.net/lemmings/levelpacks.php?info&pack=136
My Lemmings projects

Offline Joemon

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 02, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »
I've downloaded this pack and been trying to pass 'Buildo Station' but I can never reach the exit on time :O

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 02, 2009, 09:34:33 PM »

You're not clear enough, namida. Insane Steve wanted level 6 reviewed. Here is the code for it.

Code: [Select]
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Joemon

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 02, 2009, 09:50:44 PM »

You're not clear enough, namida. Insane Steve wanted level 6 reviewed. Here is the code for it.

Code: [Select]

Is there anyway of some sort in which the screenshots can show the graphics from the vgaspec levels? My vgaspec level uses crystal graphics and the beast of a level vgaspec file

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #119 on: October 04, 2009, 07:51:00 AM »
I've downloaded this pack and been trying to pass 'Buildo Station' but I can never reach the exit on time :O

Then you're doing it wrong. :P

A hint:
Try setting the release rate to 75-80 immediately, and never changing it from that.
My Lemmings projects