Author Topic: Custom Level Review Game  (Read 77165 times)

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Level Review Game
« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2009, 02:31:07 AM »
I'd have to test this, but you might be able to use a VERY simple solution to get up to the exit in "Wish it were 13"

I gotta see that! :D
Like prog metal? Listen at Izkemia on MySpace or Facebook.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2009, 05:10:49 AM »
I'm sure I would have found it by now if there was. (Or would I? I miss some blindingly obvious stuff sometimes :P)

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2009, 05:20:04 AM »
I'm almost sure that Dullstar is missing something that has to do with the level's name (builds have only 12 steps ;P).

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2009, 05:52:34 AM »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 18, 2009, 12:10:30 AM »
Lemmings Plus DOS demo - Level 1 - Heading on in

Lemmings: 50
Save: 25 (50%)
RR: 50
Time: 5 minutes
Skills: 20 of each

Good: A nice warm up. It's like "Just dig" but it's not just dig, so don't be over-confident and assign the dig skill anywhere :P

Bad: Too easy, but to be fair it's just the first level of the pack; the solution could use a bit more skills.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2009, 09:36:41 AM »
Lemmings Plus DOS demo - Level 2 - Up, Down or Round and Round

Lemmings: 20
Save: 14 (70%)
Time: 9 minutes
Release Rate: 1
Skills: 50 builders, 20 of the rest

Good: More skills to use make the level harder than the first one, Lots of time and lots of skills help make it an easy level.
Bad: The pesky steel walls may disrupt the learning curve a little too much. Too much walking to the exit.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 19, 2009, 10:03:32 AM »
Lemmings Plus DOS demo - Level 2 - Up, Down or Round and Round

That's Wicked 19 from ONML. :P Here you don't get to choose - it's Up, Down, Round & Round!

Lemmings Plus DOS demo - Level 3 - Life, the Universe, & Everything

Lemmings: 42
Save: 18 (42%)
(everything else is 42...)

Good: Fun popular culture reference - as we have come to expect from Lemmings.
Bad: It's just the standard block and release with a hero builder. I know this is meant to be an easy level, but... it's just too easy. This theme could have been used to create a much better puzzle (suggestion: alternate between 4 and 2, rather than just 42 of everything).

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2009, 10:07:50 AM »
(suggestion: alternate between 4 and 2, rather than just 42 of everything).

Good thought, but unless there's a hidden exit, the level would be impossible! :D
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #98 on: September 19, 2009, 10:36:41 AM »
Another nice point about "Life, the Universe & Everything" - it's position in the full pack is Wimpy 12, making it the 42nd level of the pack as a whole. :P
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 19, 2009, 10:42:27 PM »
(suggestion: alternate between 4 and 2, rather than just 42 of everything).

Good thought, but unless there's a hidden exit, the level would be impossible! :D

I know that. ;) Of course you'd have to move the platforms closer together. (Or change the level entirely)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2009, 07:46:06 AM »
Closer platforms could be interesting... but more likely, I'll just put harder than expected levels next to it, leaving it as a breather level of sorts (kind of like how Lemmerixo is in the middle of PSYCHO despite being relatively easy - partially because some of the hardest PSYCHO levels are near it, and the player needs a break :P).
My Lemmings projects

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2009, 09:15:40 PM »
Lemmings Plus DOS demo - Level 4 - One Step At A Time

Lemmings: 30
Save: 30 (100%)
RR: 1
Time: 6 minutes
Skills: 20 each

Good: Wide variety of routes to the exit. Good for "complete the level without x skill" type of challenge, and likely other challenges too.

Bad: Could do with more lemmings, and possibly could allow a few losses rather than requiring 100%. Some of the water objects have no triggers, so the lemmings fall through it instead of drowning.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 21, 2009, 09:24:29 PM »
Hate to say this but I think your review is too harsh. ;) This is a good step for another "Hero" level, and saving 100% is quite easy for this one. Also, at least the water doesn't have any terrain below them, so that doesn't matter as much as you think...

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2009, 09:38:26 PM »
I know it doesn't matter in a practical sense, but it just doesn't look good when a lemming falls through water.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #104 on: September 22, 2009, 12:32:11 AM »
You've got to remember that that level was made as an easier version of a harder level. The harder version gives you no builders (and is in fact otherwise identical - same lemmings, same %, same time, same release rate, same skills except for 0 builders, thus showing how evil I can be - no hints towards which skills are used), and all water that can be accessed without builders does indeed work as normal.

That's also part of the reason why it's 30 lemmings. 80 lemmings and 20 floaters would be assumed as normal for a x-of-each-skill level. 30 lemmings and 20 floaters, in a 100% level where floaters are useful, is just plain evil. (I even considered making it 21 lemmings, just to be extra annoying, but decided against it in the end.)
My Lemmings projects