Author Topic: Custom Level Review Game  (Read 77008 times)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Level Review Game
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2009, 05:52:42 AM »
But, were you able to finish the level anyway? As usual, a replay would be pretty nice  :thumbsup: I'm also interested in knowing the route you had planned in first place (the one that failed because of the misplaced water).

Here are two replays - the "thwarted" solution (nope) and the version that actually works (yep :D)

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2009, 06:00:50 AM »
haha, I see! As usual, you came out with a backroute to my intended solution (which is attached below :P)*. Anyway, I think it's "fixable".

* = I removed the replay of my intended solution because I'll fix the backroutes in the level.

Like prog metal? Listen at Izkemia on MySpace or Facebook.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2009, 05:39:48 AM »
I was about to review the next level, but I just realised I haven't played it yet. Hang on a moment...

All right, I'm done playing. ;) It's review time.

Epic Fernito 1 - Level 6 - Multitasking Lemmings

Lemmings: 60
Save: 58 (96%)
RR: 99
Time: 6 minutes
Skills: 16-1-1-1-20-1-2-2

Good: This was a fun one to figure out. At first it looks like 20 builders isn't enough, but of course there's a clever way around that. And with some effort, 100% is possible too (whether intended or not :D).
Bad: Takes too long to execute the solution once you've found it. Some parts could be made smaller (and the builder count reduced accordingly) without changing the puzzle significantly. The bit of water in the middle looks weird, and this space could use some decoration.

By the way, do you test these levels in Original Lemmings or Custom Lemmings mode? The entrance order you get depends on what mechanics you use - fortunately it doesn't make a difference to the solution here.

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2009, 06:54:06 AM »
Bad: Takes too long to execute the solution once you've found it. Some parts could be made smaller (and the builder count reduced accordingly) without changing the puzzle significantly. The bit of water in the middle looks weird, and this space could use some decoration.

I know it's a long level, but at least doing my intended solution (which I suppose you didn't :D), you gotta be multitasking all the time, there is no "dead time".

Oh, and the bit of water (as you called it :P) in the middle was to avoid a backroute.

By the way, do you test these levels in Original Lemmings or Custom Lemmings mode? The entrance order you get depends on what mechanics you use - fortunately it doesn't make a difference to the solution here.

Something weird happened here. I made this level with Lemedit and playtested it with Custom lemmings (the original one, not Lemmix). For some strange reason, when I play it on actual Custom Lemmings, 15 lemmings go out from the leftmost entrance; 15 from the mid-lower entrance and 30 from the mid-upper entrance... BUT, if I play it under Lemmix with Custom Lemmings mechanics, the entrance order gets all messed up! The weird thing is that when I play it on Lemmix with Original DOS Lemmings mechanics, I get the same entrance orden as Original Custom Lemmings. Isn't this weird?

Well, anyway, if you played it with Lemmix's Cust Lemm mechanics, you backrouted it :P And yes, 100% isn't intended.

You're gonna hate me, but I'd be very grateful if you post a replay of your solution (a replay for the 100% solution would be nice too  :thumbsup:).

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2009, 07:39:06 AM »
The entrance order thing is a known issue. Probably the best thing to do is to copy and paste the second trapdoor so you have two in the same place, and you'll get the same entrance order regardless of what mode you play.

I only have one replay - the 100% solution. This was done in Original Lemmings mode, since I figured the original entrance order was the intended one.

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2009, 04:01:43 PM »
WOW! That was amazing! :thumbsup:

Here is a replay of my intended solution. I guess the level can't be corrected to avoid your backroute, so I think I'll leave it in that way :)

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2009, 09:14:47 PM »
I did consider the possibility of making the middle group climb. I think it's good to have a choice here.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2009, 08:25:13 AM »
Epic Fernito 1 - Level 7 - Wish it was 13...

Lemmings: 20
Save: 20 (100%)
RR: 95
Time: 4 minutes
Skills: 2-1-1-1-1-4-3-2

Good: Tough to work out because you have to find some way of building up to the exit, and then find a way to get near it in the first place. Has the feeling of a solid, complete level rather than a little puzzle. (That's not to say little puzzles are bad ;))

Bad: A couple of untidy spots, like the exit covering part of the terrain, and the part where the lemmings walk near the top of the screen and disappear partly. To be fair, this is difficult to avoid with the design as it is.

And, as promised, here (attached) is my replay.

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2009, 03:41:00 PM »
By reading your review I realize you found the intended solution, didn't you? :D (If you did so, a replay would be cool, as always  :-[)

Here's I attached the corrected version, with bigger steel areas to avoid the backroute.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2009, 04:11:13 AM »
No, I haven't found the intended solution yet. I kind of stopped looking after I found a way to solve it :D

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2009, 04:15:07 AM »
No, I haven't found the intended solution yet. I kind of stopped looking after I found a way to solve it :D

hahaha :P Try to find it, take it as a challenge.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2009, 05:37:45 AM »
Hm. If no one else has reserved the spot, can the Lemmings Plus 10-level demo be the next pack?

(Note: This upload contains the final release version of Bullet Lemming, not the 12-builder version that was in the original demo upload.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2009, 04:11:13 PM »
I'll start reviewing as soon as I have a little more spare time ;)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2009, 04:21:37 PM »
Hm. If no one else has reserved the spot, can the Lemmings Plus 10-level demo be the next pack?

You can, although you'll have to post the pack on the Lemmings file archive to get pictures, here's a link to see where you should be going.

http://camanis.net/lemmings/levelpacks.php

Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2009, 12:45:34 AM »
I'd have to test this, but you might be able to use a VERY simple solution to get up to the exit in "Wish it were 13"