Author Topic: Need help with Custom Lemmings  (Read 6334 times)

Offline TomorrowPerfume

• View Profile
Need help with Custom Lemmings
« on: July 15, 2009, 03:32:03 AM »
I've tried running Custom Lemmings in Dosbox, even mounted a CD Rom drive so it wouldn't give me that extensions error, but when I try to play it, I keep getting this message telling me to insert a disk and press any key to continue. How do I go about inserting the disk when the only disk drive my laptop has is the CD/DVD drive?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Need help with Custom Lemmings
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 12:37:34 PM »
I don't remember for sure, but you might still need to put in an actual CD even after you mount the CD-ROM.

Alternatively, use the hacked version of custlemm that does not check for or require the CD (so you don't even need to mount the CD-ROM).  You can get it here:

http://camanis.net/lemmings/files/clones/customized_lemmings_nocdlem.zip

The hacked version is named "nocdlem.exe".

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 06:13:09 PM »
I WONDERED why that was called nocdlemm.  Why would CustLemm need a CD?  Either way, guess it doesn't matter.  nocdlemm was what I got when I downloaded Customized Lemmings.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 07:15:40 PM »
The reason for the CD is that CustLemm was supposedly created off from a CD-ROM version of Lemmings, which uses the CD to house audio tracks for the game's music.  Hence the game asks for a CD if there isn't one.  You can actually put in any CD and if that CD has audio tracks, the game will play them!

I hacked CustLemm to create nocdlemm specifically to avoid all that CD stuff.

Offline TomorrowPerfume

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 07:32:16 PM »
I've tried that already, and when I first tried to play, it gave me that "Insert Disk" screen. How do you fix that? I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium, if that can help with the diagnosis.

I don't remember for sure, but you might still need to put in an actual CD even after you mount the CD-ROM.

Alternatively, use the hacked version of custlemm that does not check for or require the CD (so you don't even need to mount the CD-ROM).  You can get it here:

The hacked version is named "nocdlem.exe".

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 11:08:04 PM »
Okay, looks like this has nothing to do with CDs.  It looks like you get the "insert disk" message if either LEVELPAK.DAT or one of the VGAGRx.DAT files are missing or corrupted.

If I have to guess, the most likely problem would be the VGAGRx.DAT files.  Copy those files over from the nocdlem zip file in the hyperlink above.  You should also double-check and see whether LEVELPAK.DAT is in the folder, and whether that file can be opened with LemEdit or Lemmix.  Remember that to play a levelpak in CustLemm, you need to copy the levelpak file over to LEVELPAK.DAT.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 11:22:50 PM »
Heh.  That reminds me of a bug in Lemmix that makes it so it forgets where main.dat is every time I play a replay.  That doesn't have to do with anything, though.

Could be Vista, I suppose, since I hear it has many problems.  Do you have a recent version of DOSbox?  You might be using an old version of it that doesn't support either of them.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 11:36:33 PM »
This issue has nothing to do with Vista.  In fact, I think the exact same thing will happen in DOS Lemmings/ONML, if one of the vgagrX.dat, vgaspecX.dat, or levelX.dat files are missing or corrupted.

I think the game's assumption in the case of files it can't open, is that it thinks the user has been playing the game straight off of the floppy disc/CD-ROM, and the disc has been removed from the drive.  Hence the message asking the user to insert disk.

Offline TomorrowPerfume

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 11:39:54 PM »
Where can I get some replacement files? Also, how do I open packs in Custom Lemmings? I just made a simple level that I can't wait to try out, made from the blue orbs graphics set(blue is one of my favourite colours) called "La mina del zafiro"(The Sapphire Mine). Might tweak it a little though to make it harder.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 11:49:12 PM »
Where can I get some replacement files?

As I said, you can get it in the same nocdlem download I linked to in previous posts:

You might as well extract all files in that zip file to make sure every file is good.

Also, how do I open packs in Custom Lemmings? I just made a simple level that I can't wait to try out, made from the blue orbs graphics set(blue is one of my favourite colours) called "La mina del zafiro"(The Sapphire Mine). Might tweak it a little though to make it harder.

CustLemm always gets the levels from the LEVELPAK.DAT file.  If you're playing a level pack (a .DAT containing up to 10 levels for CustLemm) you downloaded, the easiest thing to do would be to copy the file over to CustLemm's LEVELPAK.DAT file overwriting it.

For a single level, you can either create a new levelpak to put it in, or just temporarily throw it into LEVELPAK.DAT so you can quickly test it out.  If you intend to eventually upload your levels though, you might as well start creating a new levelpak to put the levels in.  Let me know if you're using LemEdit or Lemmix as your level editor and I can walk you through it.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 11:53:16 PM »
And...  here are four of the files...

I think the one you want for your level is either 3 or 4... I think 4.  Didn't upload 0, since I can only upload 4 at a time and you don't say you are using 0.

I'll post more...

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 11:56:17 PM »
As for the other files to go with them...

(sorry for the double post, I kinda have to...)

Again, you aren't using 0, so 0 is not included in this post.  If you need them, let me know to get them attached as well...  sadly again in another post.  I'd post them all at once, but you can only have four per post...

Offline TomorrowPerfume

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 12:09:42 AM »
Thank you, and that's no problem. I understand post limits and such. Man I go great lengths for those lovable lemmings, don't I?

Edit: It didn't work. I'm still having the insert disk problem. Are there any other files that it might need?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 01:15:53 AM »
Edit: It didn't work. I'm still having the insert disk problem. Are there any other files that it might need?

Have you tried replacing all files with the ones from the nocdlem.zip file I linked to?  Note that there are 9 vgagrX.dat files for CustLemm.

If it's still happening, upload the entire contents of your CustLemm folder and I'll take a look.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 02:57:51 AM »
Uploading more...

And this time I'm attaching all of them until I'm done!  Except the exe...  Linux and Windows do not have identical compression formats.  I'm not totally sure that .zip files can work...

I've included the dirt style this time.
I think the CSTM.DAT does something.
I believe ground9O.dat is Christmas Lemmings style, though I don't know.
There's only have of it, the other half will come.