Author Topic: Remove hidden talismans [SUGGESTION]  (Read 1865 times)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Remove hidden talismans [SUGGESTION]
« on: March 17, 2017, 04:37:44 PM »
Recently I learned that there is an option to mark talismans as "hidden", so that no description of them is displayed in the talisman menu. I always thought that talismans are meant to encourage people to replay levels while challenging them. But if a talisman is hidden and noone knows of its existence, then how can it achieve this goal?
Has anyone added hidden talismans in their level packs? Has anyone ever achieved a hidden talisman?

Please convince me that hidden talismans are useful! Otherwise I would like to suggest culling hidden talismans, and only provide the usual bronze/silver/gold talismans.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Remove hidden talismans [SUGGESTION]
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 06:20:53 PM »
I don't know if this is how NL currently works, but one thing I've learned from constructing levels with optional challenges in DROD is that sometimes you want to hide the challenge until the room has been solved, because merely stating what the challenge is spoils something about the room's solution. In DROD there's an in-game element -- the green door -- that allows challenge scrolls to be placed, but blocked off until the player has solved a room. In NL, the equivalent would be a "hidden" talisman that gets automatically revealed when a level is solved.

That said, because the games are so different, I'm not entirely convinced this is a useful feature for NL. Normally, one expects that all the skills are required for a level solution (unless it's either an N-of-all or a "Proxima-type" level). So if the talisman is, for example, "Solve with 5 or fewer builders", that just says that it's possible (and harder) to solve that way, and doesn't tell you much about the intended "main" solution.

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 10:53:10 PM »
I actually tried to put a hidden talisman in my pack, but it didn't work when I went to get it. When I changed it to bronze, it worked fine. I think it's possible that it's already been culled but not removed from Flexi as an option.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 05:51:35 AM »
"Hidden" was used in the past to allow unlocking a secret level via completing a challenge, without actually setting it as a talisman.

It indeed serves no purpose anymore due to secret levels no longer existing, except perhaps for if you want to keep a talisman in the data but not display it in-game due to issues with it or whatever. So yes, it should be removed.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)