Author Topic: NeoLemmix (Player: V1.26n-C | Editor: V1.26n-B)  (Read 124600 times)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
Re: NeoLemmix (Player: V1.24n | Editor: V1.23n-A)
« Reply #450 on: October 23, 2014, 07:39:44 PM »
Another Extended Level feature idea: the ability to set your own custom password on your level.

NeoLemmix players suggestion:
In the pass/fail screen, in the password area, it should read something like "Your Password for (rank number) (level number)" instead of just "Your Password for Level (level number)" (e.g. Your Password for Medi 6). This can also apply in the level preview screen, where it can display "Medi 6   Fallen" instead of "Level 6    Fallen".

LPIII:
Fierce 9 looks much clearer now, though I miss the change of the palette in the Sky exit and the flashing "EXIT" sign; I thought it was a cool effect. However, there is a minor glitch: the minimap and text is in the color of the Sky style, not the VGASPEC colors.

EDIT: This also happens to all VGASPECs based on RGB colors, as I've noticed in Secret 7. Is this an intended behavior?
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Online namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix (Player: V1.24n | Editor: V1.24n-A)
« Reply #451 on: October 24, 2014, 04:13:23 AM »
Yes, that is an intended behaviour. The reason for this is, as you may be able to guess, for the case of levels using normal and VGASPEC terrain combined.

Anyway, editor update is now here!

NeoLemmix Editor V1.24n-A
--------------------------------------
* Preserves (but cannot yet edit) custom window orders for NeoLemmix.
* Supports 128 objects in a NeoLemmix level.
* Saves style names in NeoLemmix level files, and uses them if available when loading levels.
  This is to improve ease of use of a level file between different players or graphic set collections.
* Can use and edit custom placement of VGASPECs in levels, for both NeoLemmix and SuperLemmini.
* Removed the "error" message that pops up when changing between styles, if the target style does not
  have a matching graphic set to the level's previous one - this error message was a leftover from before
  graphic sets could be changed by the editor, and did not actually indicate that anything hadn't worked
  anymore.
* Fixed the level name display issue in the DAT Level Pack editor, where level names of Extended Format
  levels created with NeoLemmix Editor V1.23n-A or dumped by NeoLemmix V1.23n or newer do not display
  correctly.
* Fixes the glitch where blank entranceOrder parameters would be saved to SuperLemmini levels.
* Fixed the bug where level width, height and screen start Y position weren't scaled properly when switching
  between Lemmix and Lemmini styles.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/177bk6j3nxdoyol/NeoLemmixEditor_V1.24n-A.zip

Until I implement proper editing for the window order, there are two possible workarounds:
1) Use a hex editor. The format of the window order data is documented in the usual place.
2) Save the level as a SuperLemmini level, add window order data to the saved INI, then reload it and convert it back to a NeoLemmix level.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #452 on: October 24, 2014, 04:51:23 AM »
The version you uploaded is still an older version of the editor (the date modified reads as 10/5/2014); thus, I am getting error messages like this:

Error reading
TBaseGraphicSetWrapper.Graph.GraphicSetInternalName:
Property GraphicSetInternalName does not exist.

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Online namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #453 on: October 24, 2014, 04:57:46 AM »
Oops. >_>
Fixed. :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #454 on: October 24, 2014, 05:11:17 AM »
Thanks. Great job with the new object additions. However, in the Sega style, if there is a one-way down object and I attempt to use test mode or regular NeoCustLemmix, I keep getting an odd error:

Source rectangle is invalid.

I haven't tested all the other styles to see how this error pops up.

Online namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #455 on: October 24, 2014, 05:19:41 AM »
No issues with any of the other new objects in the Sega style? I'll look into that soon.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #456 on: October 24, 2014, 05:25:33 AM »
Only the one-way down arrows are affected; everything else is fine.

Online namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #457 on: October 24, 2014, 05:42:27 AM »
I've managed to recreate this error; will look into the cause of it shortly.
My Lemmings projects

Online namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #458 on: October 24, 2014, 06:31:52 AM »
Found the cause. What's happening is that locked exits, on the preview screen, are meant to render frame #1 instead of frame #0 (so they show as locked), so some code was inserted to do this. However - this code was actually being applied to one-way down arrows instead. It didn't cause problems before because all existing one-way down arrows so far have multiple animation frames; these are the first ones that don't, so the bug showed itself. As a side effect of this, some locked exits would incorrectly render as open on the preview screen (it depends whether or not the style file specified the first frame as the preview frame).

This also explains the inconsistent behaviour of why it happened on a fresh install of the editor and NeoCustLemmix but not on my existing one - because I have my existing one set to skip the preview screen during test mode. The preview rendering doesn't occur in such a mode, thus, no error.

So, I'm reuploading fixed versions of all players which now correctly apply the code to locked exits, and not to one-way down arrows. This should fix both issues. I haven't given this a new version number.

It's only the players that need to be redownloaded; the editor is fine as-is.

My connection is being a bit slow at the moment so the reupload may take a while. Fixed versions of Cust and Flexi are already up on DropBox; the others might take a bit longer. All the NeoLemmix download links on the website are currently down; I'm waiting for the DropBox ones to finish uploading first then I'll put them up on there too.

EDIT: They're all up on both now.
My Lemmings projects

Online namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #459 on: October 24, 2014, 09:43:04 AM »
I made a NeoLemmix LPDOS music pack. It's the same as the standard one, except it also includes Frenzy and Gimmick musics. It's in the folder along with all the other NeoLemmix music packs.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #460 on: October 24, 2014, 03:51:20 PM »
Thanks, the one-way down arrows work now.

Some important editor suggestions to consider:
  • Undo and redo (complete with Ctrl+Z and Ctrl+Y)
  • Select all (with Ctrl+A), especially useful if you want to move the whole level to the left before adjusting the level size
  • Dragging a selection square. This can be done by holding Ctrl and then dragging, but wouldn't it be easier to just simply hold the left mouse on a blank area and then draw a square?
  • The "Save before exiting" dialog box is needed when clicking on Close Level.

LemmixPlayerExtraNeo:
  • In Genesis 10, the exit should be behind the dirt, as shown in the original.
  • The Apple Computer level can also be in the RGB palette in the same vein you did Fierce 9, since the original version did not have the exit color's palette affected. Also, despite not being a Genesis level, the level size should be adjusted; it looks awkward to see the lines from each side cut off.

NeoLemmix:
  • Will there also be LPII, LPIII (including the new Gimmick music from LPIIIBonus) and HLP music packs? I especially like the Frenzy music in LPIII, and the HLP music sounds very nostalgic.
  • Should LemmingBlink be enabled by default? I've always found it very helpful when I find that I don't have enough Lemmings to beat the level. This can also be useful in LPZ with cloners when you don't have enough lemmings.
  • Before you finalize NeoLemmix, you may need a testing team to see if there are any last minute glitches. Each member should focus on a specific thing; one can focus on gimmicks, one can focus on skills, one on objects, one on each NeoLemmix player, etc.

Online namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #461 on: October 24, 2014, 04:36:49 PM »
Editor: Those are all features I can consider eventually. For now, I'm just keeping it in line with new NeoLemmix / SuperLemmini features (well, there probably won't be any more new NeoLemmix features now (apart from maybe the full-color graphic sets), but SuperLemmini there may be) and fixing bugs. Once NeoLemmix is complete, I might look at the more flashy stuff.

Extra: I'll look into both of these.

Music packs:
LPII has the same musics as ONML, and as such you can simply use that one (the NeoLemmix version player supports it; just rename the files). The gimmick music doesn't sound very impressive in its original state, while the Frenzy music I'm not even entirely sure what the ultimate original source was.
LPIII, I might look into it eventually, though a lot of the tracks are remixes that only exist as midis (however, some tracks such as the gimmick musics and the first track could be potential candidates; and it *is* possible to mix formats in a music pack). Another issue is that there'd be quite a mix of quality here - the first track is CD Audio, the second, sixth and final-level-of-rank are MIDI remixes, the third I'm not sure what system exactly (SNES or N64 I think?), the fourth, fifth, frenzy and final-level-of-Fierce are Gameboy, and the two gimmick mucis (not counting the LPII one) are PS1. Basing them off MIDI versions, they don't sound too out of place together; if the original tracks were used, it would sound very strange indeed.
HLP, I'm not sure there's much point, as the source musics are midis anyway so the ones in the release pretty much sound exactly like them.
I can say though that there probably won't ever be a non-NeoLemmix version of LPII that supports music packs or in any other way uses the new players - unlike LPDOS, which has exactly one modification (not including the different rank names, texts and level order) from the standard mechanics (the instant bombers), LPII has the gimmicks, secret levels, etc, which aren't supported in the traditional versions of Lemmix. (In fact - not sure if I've mentioned this before - the NeoLemmix project was initially intended to be a player for LPII, but since it was nowhere NEAR ready by the time LPII was, I didn't go with this idea, and instead it wasn't until LPIII that NeoLemmix was being used.)

Testing: Most likely, it'll simply be a matter of "finalised once all features I want to implement are, and it's been out for a while without any issues that need fixing being reported". This won't happen before LPZ is released, as that'll probably be the first chance people have to really test out the new skills - HLP and the tutorial pack give somewhat of a taster, but LPZ will be the first (and from me, most likley the only) full-length pack using them.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #462 on: October 24, 2014, 05:04:22 PM »
Editor suggestion: For the pre-placed lemmings, the same drop-down menu that was used for choosing the pickup skills can also be for the six skills for pre-placed lemmings instead of using the L values.

Editor glitch:
I am still getting the List index out of bounds (15) error (e.g. when I attempt to change the Bubble set which has the splitter (index 15) to the Dirt style, when it doesn't have anything in index 15).

If this happens for a while, when I close the editor, the editor disappears, but then is followed by an error message (in attached). Following that is memory leak 219012.

For the yellow squares glitch, I tend to use the Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V shortcut a lot when using the editor. Perhaps pressing a certain button may cause the yellow squares to disappear?

LPIII and LPIIIB as part of the update stream:
You may need to slightly rename these players. I've put these two in separate folders from the official versions, but if I save a replay in the unofficial version of LPIII or LPIIIB, the replay ends up in the replay folder of the official version. This is because the official version has the same name as the unofficial version.

Will look for more bugs in the players/level editor.

Online namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #463 on: October 24, 2014, 11:29:45 PM »
Yes, I haven't fixed that bug yet.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #464 on: October 27, 2014, 04:06:10 AM »
Another level that you may want to add to the Other rank of the Extra player on both versions: One Way to Freedom, which comes from the Amiga demo.

After reading this post by Prob Lem, I had to look the level up, and this is the closest I can get to a level map (beware, this one has the intended solution). This topic of another forum discusses the solution to the level (with the image I posted here), as it was apparently an extremely difficult level.

I can either remake this level, or we can wait until someone has the level file for this demo.

Also, with the new NeoLemmix capabilities (pickup skills, vertical scrolling and teleporters in official styles), would you be able to remake the PS3 levels at some point? (Though, for the cloning machine, you could replace that with a cloning pickup skill?). Obviously, this rank should be NeoLemmix-exclusive. Since this game has only 45 levels, you can put them all in one rank like you did with the Genesis rank.

For the NES levels, I might look into remaking them. Nothing confirmed yet, but they shouldn't be that hard to remake.