Author Topic: NeoLemmix (Player: V1.26n-C | Editor: V1.26n-B)  (Read 124578 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix (Player: V1.23n-C | Editor: V1.23n-A)
« Reply #405 on: October 13, 2014, 01:33:36 PM »
If that's the case, then use the Compile Styles option in the menu bar to compile the style, and it should work (doing so automatically fills in that section). This simply means that I didn't compile the style in that upload.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #406 on: October 14, 2014, 02:52:04 AM »
Known bug in NeoLemmix: By using modified replay files (or those from other levels, where the player in question allows it), it's possible to assign a skill that isn't actually in a level's skillset. Will be fixed in the next update.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 15, 2014, 05:19:10 AM »
Alright, here it is. My first NeoCustLemmix pack. There are ten levels in the pack and one secret one.

The pack uses a variety of styles: traditional, LPII (remastered) & LPIII styles, and the Sega style. For the difficulty of the levels, I'd say they're not too hard. Some of them could be seen as Timid, while others could be seen as Dodgy. One could even be seen as a Rough difficulty, as someone commented on one of my levels. I could be wrong, however. Some of the levels generally should have multiple solutions, especially the last one, which is meant to conclude the pack with multiple solutions and one of my favorite NeoLemmix objects. The secret level is a gimmick that has not appeared in any of the Lemmings Plus levels yet. It shouldn't be a hard one, especially once you master one of the tricks of this gimmick.

This is my first time working with NeoLemmix, so some of the levels may not be that good. Constructive criticism is welcome.

Also, for one of the levels, make sure you have played Nice 10 of Lemmings Plus II, as what you'll learn from Nice 10 will be valuable in this one.

Make sure you run the latest version of NeoCustLemmix for this pack.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uaf7v0167hcigro/AAAjz-VMrvPwtk1tqHGvfMPea?dl=0

namida, you may add this to the second post of your topic and the Level Packs section of your website. I would also like screenshots of my levels posted to your website, but not now; I'll let you know when I'm ready. Already posted.

One glitch to mention though in NeoCustLemmix: after completing a secret level, it jumps back to the very first level of the pack, rather than the level where the secret level trigger is. Fixed.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #408 on: October 15, 2014, 05:50:11 AM »
You have to actually set which level it should redirect to after completion. To do this, you use the Oddtable Level settings, but without actually turning the Oddtable option on.

(EG: If you were using the Original Lemmings layout, and you wanted the secret level to return you to Tricky 21 afterwards, you'd set the oddtable rank to 2 (as Tricky is the 2nd rank), the Oddtable level to 21, and the actual oddtable option itself off.)

The reason it's done this way is that otherwise, the only way it could actually know which level to redirect to (and even then it's assuming you only have *one* level with a trigger leading to the level in question, which may not be true in all cases) is by going through and checking every object in every level - also having to load each graphic set in the process, so it knows which object is a secret level trigger - until it finds the one that redirects to the secret level in question. You might say "why not just to the level you came from?" - the problem there is what if the person directly starts from the secret level via either cheat codes or the actual code for the level.

For reference, the same setting is also used to set the target level for the Rickroll gimmick.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 15, 2014, 06:34:07 AM »
Thanks, I went ahead and fixed that. It's also a lot better if you download it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uaf7v0167hcigro/AAAjz-VMrvPwtk1tqHGvfMPea?dl=0

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #410 on: October 15, 2014, 03:45:53 PM »
Alright, I know I said this before but this time it's closer to actually meaning it - I'm hoping to wrap up NeoLemmix very soon.

As such, from this point on, I'm not going to be adding any more new gimmicks or object types, and no major new features (with one exception). Other changes might still be made - for example, I do intend to improve the handling of sound to remove the one-sound-at-a-time limitation. Any bugs that may be found will of course be fixed.

Since this means that exactly half the object data in the level format is unused (it was formerly reserved for future use), I can make a small change to the level format to increase the object count from 64 to 128. (The engine is already capable of handling up to 224 objects in a level, the limitation to 64 comes purely from the level format.) This will not cause any compatibility issues with existing levels. I'll most likely make this change in the next update.

The one major feature I do plan to add is the ability to customize the window order, like SuperLemmini recently added.

So, things that *may* still be changed/added:
  • Improvements to the interface
  • Bugfixes
  • Additional options in Flexi (within the limits of what already exists in the engine

Note that this only applies to the NeoLemmix players / engine itself. Even when they're completely finalised, I plan to continue updating the editor to improve its useability, as well as for keeping support for new SuperLemmini features if any more are introduced.

Also, the extending of the official styles is still on the todo list - I'm not saying that one isn't going to happen.

Once the finalised version is out, I'll also make the source easily-accessible (instead of "available on request"), so someone else can take over improving it if they see a need, or people can make customized versions of it (if for example, they want to create a fangame that uses a new gimmick).

While I'm not saying for sure it will be the case, I'm aiming and hoping for V1.25n to be the final version. Likewise, I'll most likely stop updating traditional Lemmix around the same time, not that there's really much more that needs to be changed/added in that anyway.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 15, 2014, 09:16:58 PM »
I noticed that a few of the colors in LemMain are a bit off. The correct palettes are below. The colors that are wrong in LemMain are bold and marked with exclamation points.
  • Standard:
    • Menu:
      • 0: 000000
      • 1: 804020
      • 2: 603020
      • 3: 300010
      • 4: 20087c!!
      • 5: 402c90
      • 6: 6858a4
      • 7: 988cbc
      • 8: 005000
      • 9: 006010
      • 10: 007020
      • 11: 008040
      • 12: d0d0d0
      • 13: b0b000
      • 14: 4050b0
      • 15: e08090
    • Level (also applies to HPPC palette):
      • 1: 4040e0
      • 2: 00b000
      • 3: f0d0d0
      • 4: b0b000
      • 5: f02020!!
      • 6: 808080
  • Xmas:
    • Menu:
      • 1: 804020
      • 2: 603020
      • 3: 000000!!
      • 4: 20087c!!
      • 5: 402c90
      • 6: 6858a4
      • 7: 988cbc
      • 8: 005000
      • 9: 006010
      • 10: 007020
      • 11: 008040
      • 12: d0d0d0
      • 13: b0b000
      • 14: c81010!!
      • 15: e08090
    • Level (also applies to HPPC palette):
      • 1: d02020!!
      • 2: 00b000
      • 3: f0d0d0
      • 4: f0f000!!
      • 5: 4040e0
      • 6: 808080

You should also check the palettes in Lemmix and NeoLemmix; some of those colors are also wrong there.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #412 on: October 15, 2014, 11:12:43 PM »
The colors in Lemmix I haven't touched, while those in LemMain are taken from either ccexplore's documentation or the Lemmix source code. I'll get onto fixing these when I get back on Monday.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: October 16, 2014, 12:21:08 AM »
For the record, ccexplore's documentation also has the correct colors for the standard palettes.

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 16, 2014, 07:32:59 PM »
Another NeoLemmix Editor suggestion: the ability to "lock" terrain and object pieces. This means that I won't end up moving a terrain or object by accident; it will stay in its place no matter how much I try to drag it.

I was hoping that you would implement the harmful bombers/stoners gimmick, that gimmick would work very well in LPZ (and maybe one of my future levels).

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: October 17, 2014, 11:35:32 PM »
The editor is writing the entranceOrder parameter to SuperLemmini levels, even if there's nothing to write there. This is bad because SuperLemmini does not expect it to be blank if it exists. Even if it did, a blank entranceOrder would mean that no entrances would be used, which SuperLemmini can't handle.

Until this is fixed, anyone making SuperLemmini levels with the NeoLemmix editor will need to manually remove the entranceOrder parameter every time the level is saved to avoid crashing SuperLemmini.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: October 19, 2014, 08:27:44 PM »
I was hoping that you would implement the harmful bombers/stoners gimmick, that gimmick would work very well in LPZ (and maybe one of my future levels).

I like this idea, but it's probably going to be difficult to create a trigger area for that. We'll see what namida thinks about that.

Speaking of bombers, I have an idea for a gimmick: To create terrain with the blast radius of the bomber. This could be inverted to a stoner destroying terrain (although I don't know how this concept can be utilised). Related to this I also thought about making a trap for which lemmings are automatically assigned the bomber skill! It is possible, but to create the firework effect is probably going to take up lots of area. :P

Other crazy ideas I have are ice (which is seen in 3d Lemmings), rainbow coloured steps, upward floaters/gliders and adding an area of quicksand/quickslime to the desert/purple sets (There's already the trap version and the water, but I thought a large area of yellow quicksand would be just as cool)
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #417 on: October 19, 2014, 09:46:20 PM »
For traps, you mean... like the radiation object? :p

I don't want to keep updating and working on this forever, which is why I've said I'm pretty much (apart from some minor features) only doing bugfixes from now on. Modifications to styles can be done by anyone using LemSet; for that reason I made CustLemmix have support for prefixes in the filenames (to avoid swapping in and out various copy filenames).

I could possibly look at a Flexi option to make the radiation bombers instant, if that suits what you're wanting to do?
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: October 20, 2014, 05:08:24 AM »
I like the instant radiation bombers idea too. This could also be expanded to Slow Freeze.

There is a glitch that is related to locked exits. If you put a blocker over the locked exit, then when the exit opens and you use a bomber to release the blocker, the blocker exits, but any other lemming that goes to where the blocker stood acts as though the blocker is still there. Attached is a test level illustrating this.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #419 on: October 20, 2014, 05:36:55 AM »
Ill be home later tonight so I can get onto fixing that. I think I know why that's happening.
My Lemmings projects