Author Topic: NeoLemmix (Player: V1.26n-C | Editor: V1.26n-B)  (Read 124605 times)

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
Re: NeoLemmix (Player: V1.22n | Editor: V1.21n-C)
« Reply #375 on: October 01, 2014, 08:58:53 PM »
The menu palette still apparently isn't being saved properly; the file is still 50 bytes.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #376 on: October 03, 2014, 01:17:16 AM »
Sorry, didn't see this before - I'll look into that. I thought you meant the HPPC palette for some reason, which there was a small error in the code for (but maybe it was just one of those "something that should be done but wasn't, but doens't really have any effect" things), so I only checked that one.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 04, 2014, 03:20:00 AM »
Suggestion for NeoLemmix Editor:
The ability to load up VGASPEC files into the editor to edit them. When I open a VGASPEC file, all it does is show me a picture of the VGASPEC in the dialog box that says "View DOS Extended Graphic File." I would like to have that removed, and instead be able to directly load up a VGASPEC into the editor and add objects to it.

NeoLemmix players:
1. Have an INI file option to automatically save a replay after exiting the postview screen. However, the replay must not automatically replace the old one, and instead go under a modified name (e.g. Mayhem06(1).lrb)
2. I may have suggested this before, but also extend the pre-placed lemmings to all other skills.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #379 on: October 04, 2014, 03:53:34 AM »
Editor:
- You need to add them as an extra option in the NeoLemmixStyles.ini. See the existing ones for an example on how it's done. Once that's done, you simply click the "..." next to Extended Graphic (or whatever label I gave it - it's right underneath the normal graphic set) and you can choose it from there.
I might look into (though probably won't be the next update) an option to automatically add an entry for the VGASPEC from a button on the viewer.

NeoLemmix:
1. That's a good idea. I'll most likely do it the same way the Test Mode 3 saves replays with unique filenames - ie: adds the timestamp to the file name. I'll try to implement this one for the next update.
2. I don't see much use for doing this with non-permanent skills, that's why I haven't done it yet. If you have ideas for levels that would need this feature, I can implement it (you don't have to tell me what those ideas are, just confirm that you have some).
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #380 on: October 04, 2014, 05:52:18 AM »
As I mentioned over in the SuperLemmini topic, I'm implementing adjustable level sizes for the next update. So far, width is working in-game, though the minimap needs improvement. The editor doesn't seem to like loading levels with unusual widths though (but has no problem saving them)... fixed that issue.

While I don't expect anyone would ever want to create a level this big, nor do I expect it wouldn't be extremely laggy and memory-intensive, theoretically the maximum size the format would allow for is 34351 x 32927 (though terrain and object coordinates can't exceed 32767); the minimum is (for obvious reasons) 320x160.

Obviously, use of the extended format is required to take advantage of this feature.

EDIT: And now vertical is implemented too; minimap still needs to be improved to work better for both.

EDIT: The minimap now works fine graphically for non-standard horizontal sizes (I also made some improvements to it in general that are probably quite overdue for NeoLemmix, specifically relating to the accuracy of the view rectangle). If the level width exceeds what the minimap can display at its scale, the minimap also slowly scrolls. I still need to implement vertical scrolling on it (EDIT: done that), as well as click-to-move.

This is quite a major task, so this will probably be the last change for V1.23n, apart from implementing the autosave replay feature. After that, it's adding support for varied heights (in both NeoLemmix and SuperLemmini) to the editor.

So, at this point, remaining todo's before the next versions:
1) The replay autosave
2) Minimap click-to-move
3) Window ordering in the editor (SuperLemmini feature)
4) A playtest mode issue I've found that needs looking at
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix (Player: V1.23n | Editor: V1.23n-A)
« Reply #381 on: October 04, 2014, 11:37:47 PM »
Alright, here's the update. Aside from the big one of adjustable widths and vertical scrolling, there's a few minor nice features too, like being able to adjust the background color.

NeoLemmix V1.23n
----------------------------
*  The width and height of levels are now both adjustable; this includes that
   vertical scrolling is now possible and a vertical screen start position can
   be set.
*  Added an option to change the background color from black to something else,
   enter a hexidecimal RGB value in the "BackgroundColor" option in the INI.
*  Added an option to automatically save a replay after a level. This replay
   will use the usual automatic filename but with a timestamp added at the end.
   Note that it doesn't save until you leave the postview screen.
*  Added a new gimmick, "Wrap". This causes lemmings who go off one side of the
   level to appear on the other, instead of disappearing or turning around.
*  Made the timer and lemming blinks slightly tidier.
*  Swimmers now handle terrain above them properly.
*  Fixed a symmetry issue with Stoners.
*  In the No Gravity gimmick, if lemmings encounter a downwards-sloped wall,
   they will move along down it rather than turning around.
*  Fixed bugs relating to moving the mouse between the skill bar and the game
   area while scrolling.
*  Improved the accuracy of the minimap's current view rectangle.

-= When first uploaded there were two bugs that have been fixed in a reupload =-
*  Non-extended format levels pretty much just didn't work full stop, fixed.
*  Minimap click-to-scroll didn't work properly on levels with very small widths.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3rtsg7k0yx7s4v6/AAAS4LjPTdMEJ_zUt6ybAcyXa

And of course, an editor update to go with it. Note that I didn't end up implementing editing of the entrance order in SuperLemmini in the end. The method I was going to try would save it correctly but threw errors when loading; rather than hold back the NeoLemmix update (and ability to edit the other new SuperLemmini feature) for this, I decided I'll simply implement editing it at a later time.

Note that it will preserve entrance orders - eg: if you load and then re-save a level that has a custom entrance order, the custom order won't be lost. It just can't be edited in the editor.

Do also note that NeoLemmix Extended Format levels saved with this version of the editor won't load properly in older versions of NeoLemmix (both the editor and players). If you need compatibility with older versions, use V1.21n-D, or if suitable for your levels, non-extended format.

NeoLemmix Editor V1.23n-A
--------------------------------------
> Added support for non-default level widths in NeoLemmix.
> Added support for non-default level heights in NeoLemmix and SuperLemmini.
> Added support for setting the Y screen start position in NeoLemmix and SuperLemmini.
> Changed (Gim20) to (Gim22) to more descriptive captions.
> Preserves the entrance order in SuperLemmini levels. It cannot yet edit it; it simply
  will preserve it on levels that are loaded then re-saved.
> CustLemm levels use the correct width of 1584, instead of 1600. NeoLemmix levels also
  default to a width of 1584.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wwu3xh8sogro3ed/NeoLemmixEditor_V1.23n-A.zip
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #382 on: October 05, 2014, 01:31:34 AM »
Known bug in NeoLemmix player: If a terrain piece is set to flip both horizontally *and* vertically, it only flips horizontally. Objects are not affected. Fixed for the next update. (To be clear - this is a bug in the player; the editor handles, saves and loads pieces that are flipped both ways without problems.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 05, 2014, 11:22:37 AM »
Good work on that BackgroundColor change. That was what I was really looking forward to and I'm really enjoying it. I can now play with a daytime background, which makes the sky and desert sets relevant, or set the color to #00B000 to make the lemmings bald! :D

However, at the same time I've noticed a little bug with it, which isn't too urgent to fix, or maybe not at all if you are interested in where you've dug. Placing multiple diggers or miners close together displays a black area on the minimap. I've tested this glitch in other circumstances and the area also shows on created stairs.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #384 on: October 05, 2014, 12:26:09 PM »
Thanks! Fixed it for the next update. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #385 on: October 05, 2014, 02:34:20 PM »
Alright, here's an update fixing the identified issues and others.

NeoLemmix V1.23n-B
------------------------------
*  If the last lemming is killed in a trap, the level will not exit until
   the trap finishes animating.
*  Fixed a bug on terrain pieces that are flipped in both directions.
*  Fixed the bug where the mouse cursor would not be bound properly after
   switching focus to another application.
*  Fixed the bug where the mouse cursor would show a lemming as being under
   it when it's actually positioned on the skillbar, if a lemming was under
   it when it was moved onto the skillbar.
*  Fixed a bug where destroyed parts of minimap are made black instead of
   the proper background color.
*  Fixed a bug where DebugSteel didn't work properly if a custom background
   color was set.
*  Fixed the bug where destructive skills would leave a black (or custom color)
   background instead of a magenta one in DebugSteel mode.
*  Fixed the bug where constructive skills (apart from Stoner) did not work
   in DebugSteel mode.
*  Improved the accuracy of the minimap following constructive or destructive
   skills.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3rtsg7k0yx7s4v6/AAAS4LjPTdMEJ_zUt6ybAcyXa

I've also attached a level that uses vertical scrolling. Use NeoCustLemmix style to open it (or directly play it in NeoCustLemmix); if there's any problems with it loading in the wrong style (shouldn't be), the correct style is Lab. You'll need this update as it contains a piece that's flipped both horizontally and vertically.

Note that while *this* level only has vertical scrolling (no horizontal scrolling), it is perfectly possible to create a level that has both.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix (Player: V1.23n-B | Editor: V1.23n-A)
« Reply #386 on: October 06, 2014, 03:21:35 AM »
I've written a tutorial for how to make Flexi packs - firstly with the normal player, then how to turn that into a toolkit; as well as a more detailed writeup about the options in a SYSTEM.INI file. Hopefully this will be useful and more people will feel comfortable using it now.

http://www.neolemmix.com/old/flexitutorial.html
http://www.neolemmix.com/old/flexitutorial2.html
http://www.neolemmix.com/old/systemini.html

Let me know if there's anything I should add to it.

EDIT: And now LemSet, too.

http://www.neolemmix.com/old/lemsettutorial.html
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 09, 2014, 04:01:31 AM »
NeoLemmix Website (this can be low priority):
1. Add a page that has a list of gimmicks and describe what each one does, complete with pictures. The same can go for the NeoLemmix objects, skills, and styles.
2. Maybe a page with a small applet where you have a list of gimmicks and skills, and you click which ones you want to use to display the code for ForceGimmick and ForceSkillset, like how it is done in the NeoLemmix Editor.
3. Make pages that have lists of pictures of the levels from the official games into the website in the same vein that you did for the Lemmings Plus series.

NeoLemmix:
1. Based on what you've done with the traditional players, add an INI option titled "LookForMusicFiles". This is similar to LookforLVLFiles where you name a level file 0101.lvl.
2. After completing the last level of a rank, it shows you the password for the first level of the next rank. However, when you go back to the main menu, it shows the last level's rank instead of the next rank. For example, when completing Tricky 30 and it gives you the password for Taxing, then pressing Esc, it still displays "Tricky" on the main menu, but when you enter the preview screen of the first Taxing level and go back to the main menu, it now displays "Taxing."
3. Should the passwords for the first level of each rank be removed? There is no point in those if you can simply access them from the main menu. Instead, put a message like "Congratulations! You beat this rank!" in place of the password. The same applies for the fail screen of the first level of each rank, that the area where the password is normally placed is blank. The first level of each rank can still be access by Cheat Codes, though.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #388 on: October 09, 2014, 04:54:56 AM »
1. Not a bad idea.
2. I don't know enough about Java or Javascript to do this. While my knowledge of PHP is good enough, my site is on a static (non-PHP) server to keep the costs low, so this isn't an option either.
3. If there's enough interest, I could possibly do this. I do have level map images for Orig on my DropBox, and will add OhNo and others when I produce them (which'll be whichever comes first - when they're needed for the voteoffs, or when I code a feature into Lemmix to dump all images in the same way it can currently dump all level files).

NeoLemmix:
1. I'll add music pack support eventually, that's on my to-do anyway. CustLemmix and non-toolkit Flexi can also already accept external music files. I don't think an INI option is nessecary.
2. Thanks for reminding me about that, it's something I was meaning to fix at some point.
3. I don't see any harm in keeping them there.

EDIT: I've identified yet another glider-going-through-terrain glitch, in this case involving a glider meeting a builder's bridge at exactly the right position. >_>
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #389 on: October 09, 2014, 07:14:45 AM »
Found a minor glitch with the minimap in levels with vertical scrolling. I've also now added support for OGGs and Music Packs; it was actually very straightforward as 90% of the code for it was possible to copy verbatim from the traditional version.

Still need to implement the Z/X skill selection.
My Lemmings projects