Author Topic: NeoLemmix (Player: V1.26n-C | Editor: V1.26n-B)  (Read 124579 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix (Player: V1.15n | Editor: V1.15n-B)
« Reply #240 on: August 21, 2014, 04:31:33 PM »
If you read left-to-right, top-to-bottom, they're in the order that they appear in-game. Like, for example, Walker always appears first on the list, Stoner will always appear after Bomber but before Blocker, etc.

If generally people would prefer the way you've suggested (old skills on the left, new on the right), then I can definitely make that change.

By the way - V1.16n update will include an option to force specific skillsets among the extra modes (just like it's had for a while with gimmicks), so you can try out new skills on existing levels. Additionally, it'll support custom gimmick combinations when using the Force Gimmick option, instead of limiting you to the combinations that have a dedicated code. Both features have already been coded.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix (Player: V1.15n-B | Editor: V1.15n-B)
« Reply #241 on: August 21, 2014, 05:04:15 PM »
Did I say V1.16n? I meant V1.15n-B. Not enough to warrant an entirely new version, but I think it's worth releasing as these are some features that might be found quite useful, or at least quite nice. :P

NeoLemmix V1.15n-B
-----------------------
*  The Flexi player now supports the Xmas palette.
*  A single player can use styles with both normal and Xmas palettes without
   graphical glitches.
*  Gimmick forcing can now use custom combinations. This is done by entering
   an 8-digit value instead of a 4-digit one; NeoLemmix Editor will display
   the correct value for the currently-selected combination.
*  In players that support extra modes, it is now possible to override the
   skills with a custom selection. Like with custom gimmick combinations and
   gimmick forcing, NeoLemmix Editor will display the correct code to use.
   Note that any skill not usually present in the level will have a quantity
   of zero, so this should generally be used together with Challenge Mode.
*  Lemmings Plus III is now included in the NeoLemmix update stream. Note
   that the versions from such are not considered official LPIII releases;
   the Levels V3 / Player V1.15n release is the final official version.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z1h2vwtu90w8igs/AABBtcL2GcebwreclZsijmUKa/NeoLemmix/V1.15n

Please be aware: X9192 and H94 do not have proper graphics for the new skills; they do function fine but will be slightly strange graphically. Lemmings Plus III does have proper graphics for them though (LPIII-style skill panel buttons / empty slots, and variable colors on the glider just like it has on the floater). Likewise, the players that have differently-colored skillbars (Covox, Prima and Extra) have the new skill icons in their proper colors, not out-of-place-looking default colors.

Most likely, the big task for V1.16n will be finishing off some (if not all) of the remaining conversions - there's four games left to do; those being OhNo, H94, Extra and LPII.

EDIT: Just for fun, here's a few screenshots of new skills being used in the original game.
I had actually considered the idea of seeing how many different combinations of skills Mayhem 3 can be beaten with, still keeping the one-of-each... but even if you exclude Bombers and Stoners (since they kill the lemming, thus meaning you can't get 100%), that gives a total of 1287 possible combinations of 8 skills. :P
(If you were wondering, if you *include* those two skills, it becomes 6435 possible combinations! Yep, with just 15 skills, we probably have more possible combinations than will ever actually occur in levels - without taking into account that you don't *have* to have a full set of 8 skills! Now, if you do take into account skillsets of less than 8 skill types (going all the way down to no skills at all), there's 22,819 possible combinations! Of course, there are some cases where certian skills are useless - for example, there's no use for swimmers on graphic sets that don't have water, so there'd be no reason to have levels in the Xmas, Metal, Sky or Lab styles with swimmers.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
[regarding the poll]
I'd be willing to help with making a Community pack. I can help contribute my own levels or convert other remakes. Are you looking for new things or levels which were in the Revenge of the Lemmings? There are a number of levels which I considered for that which didn't get included also.

The only thing is right now I'm busier than a fingerless man at a piano players contest. Hopefully things will calm down soon that I could actually do something Lemmings related again  :(

amazing work on adding all these new things to the game!  :thumbsup:
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
I was hoping for at least half the levels to be completely new, while the other half could possibly be re-used. Although, in the case of re-used levels, I'd encourage (though not require - there's nothing wrong with having a few levels sticking to the basics!) modifying them a bit to make use of NeoLemmix, even if it's just changing a couple of skills so they're pickup skills, or maybe replacing a builder with a platformer, etc.

I would rather avoid levels that have been in large packs that were originally made for Lemmix - so like, nothing from the Lemmings Plus series, cLemmings, GeoffLems, etc. But if they're from Lemmini-exclusive or even primarily-Lemmini packs, that should be alright.

As far as styles go, it'd probably be fine for all the styles except maybe the Sega one. (So the LPII / LPIII ones would be alright too.)

But also, the exact specifics of the pack is something that all contributors could discuss when the project actually starts. I'm not going to call the shots altogether for a community pack, except on that it'll be for NeoLemmix since that's the whole point of this one. :P

Also worth noting - we wouldn't be limited to using the Flexi player; I'd make a proper dedicated player for it like I did with LPIII. So this also means that (for example), assuming they're not too complicated, I could add in specific gimmicks that people want to use. Or other hardcoded stuff, though obviously this would need a *very* good reason and be only an occasional thing (like for example, the 66% required on Sega 3 from the Extra player, or the bait-and-switch on Timid 5 of LPIII).

By the way, I'd probably put Stone Hot Sacrifice forward as a level for possible inclusion. Maybe some of the tutorial levels too; some people have commented on a couple of them being a bit on the hard side (specifically, the ones for gliders, stoners and stackers) so possibly not all of them. If it doesn't get included, then I'll probably remake it in an LP style for "LPIII-2".
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Some interesting mechanics / notes on how they work with the new skills that may be of use to level designers. Some of these are shown in the tutorial levels, or in "Stone Hot Sacrifice":

Walkers
- You can assign a walker to any of the following: Walkers, Blockers, Platformers, Builders, Stackers, Bashers, Miners, Diggers.
- If you assign a walker to a lemming that is already walking, it turns around. (I believe this is the same as in Lix.)

Swimmers
- If a swimmer enters the water below the surface, it jumps up a few pixels instantly, then slowly floats towards the top.
- For the most part, a swimmer functions the same way as a walker, but on water instead of terrain. This includes that it will jump up a small ledge if it encounters one, and can transition to climbing if it encounters a taller wall.
- A swimmer can be assigned the Bomber or Stoner skills. Bomber does not do any destruction if used while swimming (intentional, not a glitch), but Stoner functions as normal.
- The Exhaustion gimmick does not have any impact on Swimmers.

Gliders
- Gliders will turn around and continue gliding if they hit a wall.
- Gliders that meet updraft objects (the Sky set has these) will move upwards instead of downwards, though at a slower rate.
- You can assign a glider to a lemming mid-fall, just like with floaters.
- A lemming cannot be both a Floater and a Glider. You can have both skills on the same level, but not on the same lemming.

Mechanic
- Mechanics take 43 frames to deactivate a trap.
- A mechanic can only deactivate a trap while the trap is idle (not currently killing a lemming).
- A trap deactivated by a mechanic is permanently deactivated; the effect is not temporary.
- Mechanic is a permanent skill just like Climbers, Swimmers, Floaters and Gliders - one mechanic can deactivate as many traps as he encounters.
- The Exhaustion gimmick does not have any impact on Mechanics.

Stoner
- Stoner functions more or less identically to bomber, except for creating terrain instead of destroying it.
- Even in a player that uses timed bombers, Stoners are still instant.
- As implied by the first point, you can use a Stoner in mid-air.
- If you use a Stoner on flat ground (and even in most cases on slopes), Climbers will not be able to climb over the resulting terrain.
- A lemming that dies by becoming a Stoner does indeed count as killed for the purpose of the Karoshi gimmick.

Platformer
- Platformer can only be assigned in locations where at least one pixel of their first step is not already solid terrain.
- A platformer will stop if, while moving horizontally, there is a solid pixel either one or two pixels above his platform.
- A platformer will also stop if an entire brick is placed where there is already solid terrain; but not if even just one pixel of it was previously empty space.
- Platformers *are* affected by the Lazy Lemmings gimmick.

Stacker
- A stacker cannot be assigned in a location where the pixel below the leftmost pixel of their first brick is not solid.
- The stacker shares the builder's animation, there is no dedicated graphic for it.
- Stackers place their steps much more rapidly than builders or platformers do.
- Stackers' steps are three pixels wide, and they place 8 steps.
- Stackers will stop if the leftmost pixel of a brick they place is already solid terrain; they do not care about the other two.
- Stackers *are* affected by the Lazy Lemmings gimmick, making it almost impossible to actually make use of them in such conditions.

Combinations of permanent skills (Climber, Swimmer, Floater, Glider, Mechanic)
- The name "Athlete" now applies to a lemming with any two permanent skills.
- A lemming with three permanent skills is called a "Triathlete".
- A lemming with four permanent skills is called an "X-Athlete". This was originally going to be "Superathlete", but it barely fit in the space and looked weird.
- Five permanent skills is not possible as Floater and Glider are mutually exclusive; but if it did happen, it would still just show as "X-Athlete".

Currently there's no way to tell exactly which skills an athlete / triathlete / X-athlete has, unless the skillset only allows for one possible combination that acheives the name in question (for example, if the level doesn't have Floaters or Mechanics, then a triathlete is obviously Climber + Swimmer + Glider). If anyone has any suggestions for how differentiating them should be implemented, let me know.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Preliminary LPII conversion is now complete - still got to finish testing them though; only tested Nice so far. After that, next up is ONML, probably going to get H94 done before V1.16n is released too. Not sure about Extra, of course it'll be done eventually but whether it's done for V1.16n or not is another matter.

One new feature, that I discussed ages back but never implemented but have done so now (and will be in V1.16n); pre-placed lemmings can be pre-assigned certain skills. Specifically, the 5 permanent skills, as well as blocker. They can be assigned in any combination, except the impossible combo of Floater + Glider; if you try to assign both, it only gets Floater. The level does not need to actually have the skill in question as part of the skillset.

EDIT: Tested LPII up to the end of Cunning. The only levels that *needed* modifications were Cunning 5 and Cunning 6; though I'm also going to slightly increase the time limits on Sneaky 7, Sneaky 8 and Cunning 16, as well as some minor terrain changes on the last one.

EDIT: Tested all of LPII. Cunning 5, Cunning 6, Genius 8 and Genius 13 were the only level that needed modifications to actually be *possible* (after modifications to make stuff look neater, that is; they might've been possible as-is before that - well, the Cunning ones anyway; the Genius ones were both impossible under NeoLemmix mechanics). Cunning 16 also had some minor changes as the lack of steel glitches made it require an annoying degree of precision, and a few levels had an extra 30 seconds added to their time limits (off the top of my head, Sneaky 7, Sneaky 8 and Cunning 16). Cunning 9 needed some changes to keep the secret level accessible - since there was no way to make it impossible to get the whole crowd to the general area of it but still allow getting one or two lemmings, I had to do something slightly different for it. Under the new mechanics, Genius 4 was possible with one fewer builder than before, so the skillset has been adjusted accordingly. Cheeky 20, while not impossible under the new mechanics, became a LOT harder than before, so I made some very slight changes there too - you probably won't even notice the changes unless you're looking for them. That's just off the top of my head, I know there were a few more changes here and there. Surprisingly, Genius 19 needed no changes apart from one cosmetic change that doesn't impact the solution. Cheeky 8 is a lot harder than before now, but I'm not sure exactly what can be done to negate that without making it mostly just tedious (by sharply increasing the number of builders), except maybe swapping it and one of the other gimmick levels (maybe Cunning 19), but I don't really want to do that... I also have to say, Genius 3 gave me a bit of difficulty! Nothing NeoLemmix-specific, I just couldn't remember how to solve it. xD

OhNo and H94 are yet to be confirmed for sure, but LPII will definitely be fully NeoLemmix-adjusted for the next update, as the conversion is now complete. :P Those two (especially H94) shouldn't be too much trouble anyway.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Three glitches with the new skills that I'm aware of. Two with the Glider, one with the Stacker.

• Specific timing and terrain formations can cause a glider to fall through terrain. The one place I know of that this occurs is Tricky 9 / Mayhem 6, when falling off the steel on the left side and assigning a glider very close to the ground.
  • Specific angled terrain can cause a glider to turn around when he stops gliding. I've seen this happen on Tricky 12 / Mayhem 21 and Tricky 13 / Mayhem 25.
  • The Stacker's bricks become solid and lemmings can walk on them one frame before they actually become visible. The frame where they become solid is the one they're intended to, it is the graphics that are glitched. (Now that I think about it, this happens in reverse - in both Neo and Traditional, not sure about DOS - with diggers, too.)

Goes without saying I'll fix these in the next update (well, the graphical one only if it's simple enough to fix - but the gameplay-affecting ones are a major priority). Goddamn Gliders... especially the second one, I thought I'd stomped that out while testing the skills, but seems not.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Both the ONML and H94 conversions are now completed. I noticed something strange in the H94 levels - namely, that the static and animated parts of the exit weren't exactly lined up, but overlapped slightly. As a nice touch, I adjusted them in the H94 levels while leaving them with this orientation in the H93 levels - it makes it look somewhat like the flames are candles that have, in the older levels, melted a bit over time.

Aside from that, in general the conversion is just enabling autosteel on relevant levels, and fixing up a few odd object positionings - or in very rare cases, some terrain oddities. Like with Orig, there's the odd case where I've set an entrance to left-facing.

The only conversion that still remains is Extra. I'll probably do that, since these are actually very quick and simple to do with the NeoLemmix Editor, much more so than they were with NeoLemEdit (primarily due to DAT support).
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix (Player: V1.16n | Editor: V1.15n-B) (All conversions complete!)
« Reply #248 on: August 25, 2014, 07:27:45 PM »
Alright, here we go! V1.16n is here!

The biggest update is that the four remaining conversions - OhNo, H94, Extra and LPII - are now done. It also fixes the aforementioned glitches, and a couple of other minor things.

NeoLemmix V1.16n
--------------------------
*  Fixed marking objects as Fake not working, not sure when it broke but it's
   fixed now.
*  Added support for marking windows, receivers and pre-placed lemmings as fake.
   Note that fake pre-placed lemmings essentially just do not exist; it might be
   useful during development but doesn't really have any purpose in a finished
   level.
*  Fixed the glider-falling-through-terrain glitch.
*  Fixed the glider-turning-around-on-slanted-terrain glitch.
*  Fixed the graphical glitches with Stackers and Diggers where the addition
   or removal of terrain wouldn't be visible until the frame after being applied.
*  Fixed the repeated error messages in levels with no windows, and a higher
   lemming count than the number of pre-placed lemmings.
*  Pre-placed lemmings can be initialized as being blockers and/or having any
   of the permanent skills. This is done by adding the following to their L
   value (starting from 0 for "none of these"):
     +1: Climber
     +2: Swimmer
     +4: Floater
     +8: Glider
    +16: Mechanic
    +32: Blocker
*  Lemmings Plus II conversion is now complete.
*  Oh No! More Lemmings! conversion is now complete.
*  Holiday 94 conversion is now complete.
*  Extra conversion is now complete.

There's no update to the editor, as the new feature with pre-placed lemmings is based on the L value and thus doesn't need dedicated support as such. I probably will in a future update add a quick-select thing like there currently is for the pickup skills.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z1h2vwtu90w8igs/AABk3XT4fiiCqrVlGWC-c2jza/NeoLemmix/V1.16n

By the way - as I mentioned before (I think), with the pre-placed lemmings, auto-assigning them a skill does not impact the skill count - so if the level has 5 climbers in the skillset, and has one pre-placed lemming who starts as a climber, the player still has 5 climbers they can use. The level does not even have to have the skill in the skillset - for example, you can have a pre-placed blocker in a level where blockers is not one of the skills that's given. Also note that a pre-placed blocker will automatically be moved down as far as nessecary to ensure they are standing on terrain, so you don't need to worry about them instantly freeing due to not having terrain to stand on.
Also, you might wonder what happens if you mark one as both a Floater and a Glider, since the two are mutually exclusive. If you try to do this, the result will be the lemming will only be a Floater (not a Glider). As a point of interest - if you did somehow end up with a lemming that was both, it would still function almost exactly the same as a pure Floater. The only difference would be what the lemming is identified as when mouseovered - it would be counted as having two permanent skills, and thus be labelled an Athlete (or a Triathlete or X-Athlete, if it had other permanent skills too).

EDIT: I have no idea how it slipped my attention for so long, but I've just noticed that Cust and Flexi didn't support DebugSteel. I've reuploaded them with support for it added.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #249 on: August 26, 2014, 05:42:58 AM »
Since the LVL format is pretty much chock-full now, I'm creating a new format to use in future versions (compatibility with LVL format will also be retained, of course; but any future new features will most likely only be supported in the new format). I haven't implemented support in the player yet, but it's almost fully working in the editor - the only thing that isn't working yet is displaying the level title in the DAT manager.

Aside from a tidier format and much more space for future additions, the format also greatly extends the number of pieces you can have - 64 objects, 1000 terrain pieces and 128 steel areas.

EDIT: It's now supported in the player too. But I do still need to fix the issue with displaying the level title in the DAT manager (it works fine in-game, and even in the Level Stats editor window - it's *only* the DAT manager where it doesn't.)
I also found a glitch relating to the standard level files (nothing newly introduced; it's always been there at least in this version and I just never caught it until now), specifically that it only reads the low byte of the lemming counts and save requirement (which in effect means that they can't exceed 255). That will of course be fixed for the next update.

Two features I've already added using the new format. Firstly, specifically marking steel areas as negative or not, rather than it being based on their index (I still need to properly support this in the editor), and secondly, a level can now contain the author's name (which will be shown on the preview screen), which might be useful for collaborative packs.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #250 on: August 26, 2014, 03:49:36 PM »
Another thing I'm doing for the next release (of the editor) - getting Lemmini support back up to scratch, and hopefully also finally adding SuperLemmini support. (EDIT: To clarify here, the "SuperLemmini" is a "soon", not nessecerially the immediate next version.)

EDIT: Okay, found two issues with standard Lemmini - both of which were the results of fixes to Lemmix-format stuff (one was NeoLemmix-specific fixes, the other was in general). To be specific:

1) (only on V1.15n-B) Basically, saving and loading was completely broken. All loaded levels will be blank, while most saved levels will have heaps of non-existant pieces added.
2) (since... V1.14n, I think?) Objects with only a single animation frame would give errors and not display in the editor.

If there's any other Lemmini-related issues you're aware of, let me know ASAP. :) Or just any issues in general. Four general issues that I'm aware of, the first three of which have already been fixed for the next update, and the fourth I'm about to try and fix now all of which I've fixed for the next update:

1) Levels with lemming counts or save requirements exceeding 255 don't preserve these values properly when using standard LVL format (there's no problem with such in the new NeoLemmix format or in Lemmini format).
2) The Level Pack Manager won't allow you to add more than 16 levels to a pack.
3) If you edit a level's title (or name a level you're making from scratch), all leading spaces are stripped from it.
4) While click-dragging an upside-down terrain or object, it displays the right way up until you place it again.

Also, if there's any other formats you think are worthwhile adding support for, let me know. The only one I'm guaranteeing in the near-future is SuperLemmini, but longer-term I can look at others.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix (Player: V1.16n-B | Editor: V1.16n-B)
« Reply #251 on: August 26, 2014, 05:38:18 PM »
I figure rather than leaving you to work your way around bugs and have to check which ones I already know about, I should release an update. So, this update fixes quite a few things in the editor.

NeoLemmix Editor V1.16n-A
-------------------------------------
> Supports an "Extended Format" which allows for more pieces,
  and has room for future additions of more new features.
> No longer has issues with level packs containing more than
  16 levels.
> Fixed a bug with levels in traditional format that have more
  than 255 lemmings.
> Irrelevant options on the level properties screen are now
  disabled (for example, the gimmick checkboxes if custom gimmick
  is not enabled; or NeoLemmix-exclusive options when editing
  levels in CustLemm format - though options are not disabled if
  they're supported by CustLemmix).
> Leading spaces are no longer stripped from level names.
> Inverted pieces are now displayed inverted when dragging and
  dropping.
> Fixes some issues with Lemmini levels.

NeoLemmix Editor V1.16n-B
-------------------------------------
> Partial SuperLemmini support has been added. Most features are supported, but there
  are a few that aren't yet. Note that as per the wishes of the authors of Lemmini and
  SuperLemmini, the graphics are not included; copy the contents of your Style folders
  into the "lemministyles" or "superlemministyles" folders then use the Compile Styles
  option in the editor.
> When loading a Lemmini level, you will now be asked what style you wish to load it
  in; this is so you can choose Traditional Lemmini or SuperLemmini. (It can also be
  loaded directly to CustLemmix / NeoCustLemmix style if you wish.)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z1h2vwtu90w8igs/AACKeoJX31NHzRvJvoOhopWqa/NeoLemmix/NeoLemmix%20Editor/NeoLemmixEditor_V1.16n-B.zip

Now of course, it'd be a bit silly to release an editor that supports a feature that's not in the players yet. So, here's a very minor update to the players. Supports the new level format, including the two new features added using it (author name, and more-convenient autosteel). Aside from that, all players that support ExtraModes (which I'm fairly sure is all of them, except custom Flexi players that have disabled it) should now also have DebugSteel available.

NeoLemmix V1.16n-B
-----------------------------
*  DebugSteel is no longer an independant option when compiling; it is now
   part of Extra Modes.
*  Supports "Extended Format" level files; these allow for much higher counts
   of pieces, more creator-friendly Negative Steel, and will most likely be
   required for future new features; the downside is they are not backwards
   compatible at all. Traditional LVL files are still supported too!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z1h2vwtu90w8igs/AABk3XT4fiiCqrVlGWC-c2jza/NeoLemmix/V1.16n

Note that if you're not creating levels, you probably don't really need this update, except maybe CustLemmix in case anyone else ends up making levels using the new format.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Alright, it's very soon after the last version, so I just updated the above post.

There's no changes in terms of NeoLemmix-related functionality; this update relates solely to Lemmini and SuperLemmini. Mostly the latter. So yep, we finally have a compatible editor (even if it doesn't quite support all the features yet, but it's pretty close).

Note that in line with the requests made by the authors of both Lemmini and SuperLemmini, as well as due to the heavy filesize that would result, the Lemmini styles are not included. Simply copy/paste the contents of your Styles folder (not the Styles folder itself; the folders inside it!) to the "lemministyles" or "superlemministyles" folders, then use the Compile option in the editor, and they're good to go. The INI file is all set up ready for them, no need to mess with that. PNG-format SuperLemmini styles are supported!

The stuff that isn't supported yet:
> Background terrain. I'm not sure that I want to implement this feature, it would seem that the only purpose it serves is trying to confuse or annoy the player... However, even disregarding that (after all, you could argue the same thing about some NeoLemmix features, for example Frenzy; and some of the other SuperLemmini features that I have added support for, such as invisible terrain), it'll also be quite a hassle to implement this, though I can think of one way it might be doable.
> Special graphics ("vgaspec") handling. I plan to overhaul how it handles this for Lemmix/NeoLemmix formats too (not a change to the actual files or anything, just to how the editor handles them); since the end result will be it working in a similar way in both cases, I'm going to do both at the same time.
> Boundary settings. I'll probably implement this one in the next update.
> Invisible objects. I had actually implemented this one, but the feature seems to be broken in SuperLemmini itself; either that or Tsyu's documentation on the format has a mistake here (which is possible - it had a mistake on the same feature for terrain, but I managed to find the correct way to set that one). Until it's fixed / I know the correct way to implement it, I've disabled it.

EIDT: Known bug in NeoLemmix Player V1.16n-B: Some types of objects malfunction when they're in object slot #32 or higher. Specifically; triggered traps, teleporters, pickup skills, and unlock buttons. They may act like other object types, or just not work at all. Objects types other than these four work fine; and the next update will fix this for those types too (as well as futureproofing it against this issue if the format is further extended). This bug does not affect any existing level; it's only relevant to new levels that may be made using the new format (the old one doesn't have enough object slots for it to occur).

As a side effect of how I fixed this, it's now very easy to implement different secret level triggers within a single level having different target levels; so as of the next update, it will be possible to hide multiple secret levels within a single level. I don't plan to use this, but since it's now quite simple to implement, I saw little reason not to do so.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Added a new gimmick for the next update, since it's been a while since I've added one of those. I might add a couple more, so now is a good time to suggest ideas for them. :)

This one I've added basically turns all steel into normal terrain, and vice versa. This includes terrain created by constructive skills (can't really just say "builders" anymore, since there's now Stoners, Platformers and Stackers to consider too) - although I'm still trying to work out the best way to apply it to Stoners, as that one's a bit tricky to implement it for (it already does for the other three).

One other thing for the next version, this one relating to a specific player. I've added an extra rank to the LPDOS player, which contains (fully NeoLemmix-ised, of course) the six levels that were removed in V7, as well as the classic version of PSYCHO 9 (I don't remember exactly when I changed it, I think it was V4 or V5). I remember people commenting that the old Medi 8 wasn't as bad as I thought it was (even if the new one was better); the old Medi 16 also isn't nearly as bad under NeoLemmix mechanics. So at any rate, those levels will be available to play in NeoLemmix form. For those who never played it; the "classic" version of PSYCHO 9 is essentially the same level cosmetically, but there's a few small changes as well as some slight tweaks to the skillset that, together, majorly change the solution, so in some ways it's almost like an entirely different level.

The old Danger 17 and Danger 21 still existed in the data files, due to their earlier/repeat versions still remaining in V7; the others were recovered from the Level Database, which it seems I'd uploaded the raw level files to at some point.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix (Player: V1.16n-B | Editor: V1.16n-B)
« Reply #254 on: August 27, 2014, 11:39:18 PM »
I've decided on one more new skill to add to fill that last remaining slot. I won't say just yet what it is; all I'll say is that it's something we have seen before in at least one official lemmings game, but not nessecerially as a skill. When the next version is released, I'll make sure all the styles are updated to contain a proper icon for it on their pickup skills (though if you use an old version of the style it won't crash - I thought ahead and put a placeholder icon for the 8th slot when I added the other 7 new skills), as well as all the MAIN.DATs (again, it won't crash if the MAIN.DAT is missing the new icon; there's placeholders here too, although in this case they aren't custom-made, it just duplicates the previous icon, which happens to be the digger).

Two other bugfixes:
* When pressing a shortcut key for an empty skill slot (eg: F10 in a level with 7 or less skill types), it would select the first skill; it now does nothing (the intended behaviour).
* Custom music selection only worked in old-format, non-oddtabled levels. It's now fixed for both new-format levels and oddtabled levels. (In the case of oddtabled levels, the target level's music selection would apply, while in the case of new-format levels, it just wouldn't pick up any music selection at all (unless it was a new-format level that oddtabled an old-format level, in which case it'd use that level's music selection).) Just for reference, CustLemmix / traditional Flexi don't have this bug; it works fine there.
My Lemmings projects