Author Topic: Pre-placed blockers not blockers in-game [BUG] [PLAYER]  (Read 2837 times)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
Pre-placed blockers not blockers in-game [BUG] [PLAYER]
« on: September 18, 2016, 02:24:16 AM »
For some reason, when playtesting my levels, even when I set up my pre-placed lemmings as pre-placed blockers, they are not blockers in-game and are just regular walking lemmings.

I checked a level using pre-placed blockers (Breezy 3 of Lemmings Plus Omega) and the blockers seem to work just fine.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 02:40:18 AM by Wafflem »
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Pre-placed blockers not blockers in-game [BUG] [PLAYER]
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 02:30:25 AM »
Make sure the trigger area pixel (which is marked red in the graphic) is inside the ground, not one pixel above it. Otherwise, they immediately change to fallers (and then walkers) due to having nothing to stand on. Earlier versions of NeoLemmix auto-adjusted this to some extent. Based on discussion with Nepster and Simon, in particular the point that "the software should not try to be smarter than the user", this adjustment no longer happens with newer versions.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 02:39:00 AM »

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 02:40:04 AM »
Thanks, works now!
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 06:10:39 AM »
I've slightly modified the graphic sets that are included with the editor for the next update (only the images are modified; they're still functionally the same) to make it more clear how pre-placed lemmings should be placed. This is probably the best I can do without causing issues to existing content.

The downside is that the preplaced lemming sprites look like they've had a slight haircut, but I'm sure this shouldn't be too problematic.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 06:19:34 AM »
Make sure the trigger area pixel (which is marked red in the graphic) is inside the ground, not one pixel above it. Otherwise, they immediately change to fallers (and then walkers) due to having nothing to stand on. Earlier versions of NeoLemmix auto-adjusted this to some extent. Based on discussion with Nepster and Simon, in particular the point that "the software should not try to be smarter than the user", this adjustment no longer happens with newer versions.

I understand what you mean by "the software should not try to be smarter than the user" but in this case I think the auto-adjustment may be justified - after all, why would you place a pre-placed blocker into a level if you didn't mean for it to actually be a blocker? That said, it probably shouldn't do this with other skills (or should at least come with an option to disable the behavior).

I've slightly modified the graphic sets that are included with the editor for the next update (only the images are modified; they're still functionally the same) to make it more clear how pre-placed lemmings should be placed. This is probably the best I can do without causing issues to existing content.

The downside is that the preplaced lemming sprites look like they've had a slight haircut, but I'm sure this shouldn't be too problematic.

Do I need to/should I make this change to the Genesis tilesets?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 06:34:39 AM »

Assuming all of them use the same graphic and trigger position as the fire_md set, replace them with this image (use "Import Strip" and set frames to 2).
My Lemmings projects

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 06:40:06 AM »

Assuming all of them use the same graphic and trigger position as the fire_md set, replace them with this image (use "Import Strip" and set frames to 2).

I believe they are. I used the normal sets for trigger area information so if they're all the same graphic/trigger position in the normal sets then that is also true of the genesis versions. Since the preplaced lemmings just become lemmings in gameplay, there's no reason to recolor them or anything like that, since the graphic is purely there to help the user place them, and do not necessarily reflect how the lemmings will look in game.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 06:43:23 AM »
I meant as in - if any use the image where the red dot is below the lemming's foot (rather than in line with it), and have the trigger area set on that red dot, there's no need to change those. (Examples of such: the LPIV Space and Clockwork sets (but not Wasteland and Candy, which have this image but the unfixed trigger position), and all LPV sets)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 06:50:51 AM »
Hmmm...  I'm not really following what you mean, but I figure the best thing to do would be just to make sure that mine are consistent with the current versions of the normal (i.e. DOS/Amiga) sets, correct?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 07:05:35 AM »
Okay. I just looked at all your sets; you should be using the image I attached above for all of them (without any changes to the current trigger areas).
My Lemmings projects