Author Topic: How do I create a graphic set for NeoLemmix?  (Read 1877 times)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
How do I create a graphic set for NeoLemmix?
« on: July 16, 2016, 05:33:22 AM »
Hi.

I've been searching the thread for hints on how to create a graphic set, but couldn't find any. I need to know from successful graphic set makers:

* Which file type should I save my terrain and objects under? (PNG, BMP)
* How to I create an object with frames?
* How do I add trigger areas to my objects?
* Whether NeoLemmix can accept a wide range of colors, not just the DOS range. I know already that you can add more than 8 colors.

Thanks!
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: How do I create a graphic set for NeoLemmix?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 07:48:54 AM »
You'll need the NeoLemmix GSTool, which you can grab on the website (sorry, don't have heaps of spare time right now or else I'd dig up the link) or on various topics here. Make sure to get the latest version.

1. 32-bit PNG, using actual transparent pixels, is the ideal format. Failing this, any bit-depth PNG or BMP format with a placeholder color (RGB 255,0,255 is suggested and is the default one it'll try, but anything works) can also be used.
2. You can either have a seperate image for each frame, or you can arrange them in a horizontal or vertical strip of frames (in this latter case they must all be the same size; however, it's very strongly advised against having different sizes anyway, even though it's technically possible).
3. GSTool lets you select the type and size of these.
4. The file format NeoLemmix uses supports full 32-bit color (including an alpha channel). NeoLemmix itself cannot currently make use of alpha channel data other than 0 or 255 (it'll treat everything else as 255), but for RGB, you can use any colors you like, and there is no limit on how many different colors you can use (there used to be, but since moving to the single-DAT-file format there's no longer any limit).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 09:57:34 AM »
Fortunately, I was able to find the link to the GSTool and downloaded V1.03 (Which I hope is the latest version). I'm going to follow the next few steps.

Thanks, and happy birthday! :D
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 02:59:14 PM »
Thanks, and happy birthday! :D

Wait, the new forum shows that? I never noticed it.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)