Author Topic: How many levels can be solved with a 99 release rate?  (Read 36146 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: How many levels can be solved with a 99 release rate?
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2009, 03:09:19 AM »
Flurry 16: Possible but not 100%able. Not exactly hard either.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2009, 04:34:36 AM »
If a level lets you block the crowd at the start and release them later, then chances are it can be done at rate 99. This is what I was talking about before - often you can see that a level is solvable this way without even playing it :)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2009, 05:53:02 AM »
Yes. I was thinking about that assumption and I used it to automatically post solvable levels.

Anyway, I solved Mayhem 18. No problems. :)
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2009, 06:21:46 AM »
If a level lets you block the crowd at the start and release them later, then chances are it can be done at rate 99. This is what I was talking about before - often you can see that a level is solvable this way without even playing it :)

Chances are...

It depends on the skill slot...  A release rate 1 level that give you a miner to hold back the crowd, for example, and only one miner, has less chance of working.  Of course, if there is not gap or deathtrap that would kill too many lemmings, it's possible to get them at 99.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2009, 06:58:38 AM »
Of course there are going to be exceptions... but then there are exceptions to the exceptions too :P

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2009, 07:41:02 PM »
I solved Mayhem 2 for Original lemmings. Are there any more Mayhem levels done yet?
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2009, 11:13:25 PM »
I can add Mayhem 1, 5, 11, 12, 13, 23 (100%), 25 and 29 to the list.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2009, 09:11:07 PM »
Thanks, Proxima :) and that sums up all the Original lemmings level results! An incredible 114 levels were solved! The six "losers" are:
Tricky 18: It's lemmingentry Watson
Taxing 23: King of the castle
Taxing 28: Poor wee creatures!
Mayhem 7: Poles apart
Mayhem 10: Pillars of hercules
Mayhem 19: Time to get up!

The ONML section is nearly done, and I solved Havoc levels 13 and 20. Are there any more Havocs yet?

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2009, 12:45:39 AM »
and that sums up all the Original lemmings level results! An incredible 114 levels were solved! The six "losers" are:
Tricky 18: It's lemmingentry Watson
Taxing 23: King of the castle
Taxing 28: Poor wee creatures!
Mayhem 7: Poles apart
Mayhem 10: Pillars of hercules
Mayhem 19: Time to get up!

Strike these two from the list. Both give you just enough builders to get across the gaps without losing too many lemmings - but only if you use them wisely ;)

Replays attached.

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2009, 12:47:33 AM »
Oops.  I was going to say the same thing, but Clam Spammer beat me by about 2 minutes.  Apparently he posted while I was typing. ;P

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2009, 01:01:10 AM »
I'm terrible like that :D

I'll try not to spoil Havoc for you...

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2009, 03:22:18 AM »
Here's a relatively simple and glitch-free RR 99 solution for Havoc 10 (Flow Control).  I've also described it below in words for those who can't use Lemmix to watch the attached replay.

Quote from: Highlight to read solution
1) 1st lemming that makes it through all 3 traps will build, obviously as close to edge as possible.
2) Next lemming (X) that approaches the rightmost trap will dig as close to the trap trigger as possible.  This will allow the trap to be bypassed once the digger has dug deep enough.  This will eventually hold back the last 2 lemmings that can get through the first 2 traps.
3) Make the 3rd lemming (Y) (counting the builder from step 1 but not counting the digger from step 2) that has gotten through all 3 traps also dig, to create a separate second digger pit.
4) After the last 2 lemmings have turned left and then right again in the digger X's pit, make them climbers to climb out.
5) Make the first of the 2 lemmings mine into digger Y's pit as a further delay.  Don't make him mine too much though, or he won't be able to climb out before digger Y has dug through the ground.
6) Between the falling, climbing and mining, the 2 lemmings should be sufficiently delayed to make it across the builder's bridge.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2009, 04:19:53 AM »
Wicked: All except 15 and 16.

Here's Wicked 16 ("Five Alive") at RR 99.  I've even attached a DOSBox video (inside the zip file) as well as the Lemmix replay.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2009, 01:38:23 PM »
I have confirmed that all but the following levels in Havoc are solvable at RR 99:

5, 9, 12

These levels require 100% and depend on having a low RR to give you sufficient time at the start to create a safe path for the crowd.  They lack "extra" skills for crowd control at RR 99.

Of the remaining 17 Havoc levels, all but the following you can save 100% at RR 99:

10, 16, 20

(I'm actually not totally sure about 16 yet; the known 100% solution will either leak a few lemmings at RR 99, or you need one more builder than given to save the leaked lemmings.)

I've attached save-100% replays for a few levels of interest.  The Havoc 17 solution made use of a steel destruction glitch.  Havoc 13 is complicated by the RR 99 making it very difficult to assign builder to a left-going lemming in the crowd of right-going lemmings; careful mouse cursor placement and some luck with timing is needed.  Havoc 7 is relatively straightforward, except the placement of the blocker on the right side need to be very precise for you to free it later with a digger from the crowd.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2009, 01:50:49 PM »
So. That rounds up all the "Oh no, more lemmings" levels. :) Only 5 levels would break your winning streak. They are:
Wild 8: It's a tight fit!
Wicked 15: SPAM, SPAM, SPAM,...
Havoc 5: There's madness in the method
Havoc 9: AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!
Havoc 12: It's all a matter of timing

By the way. I think we should do Blitz for Holiday lemmings now! Should we put in Frost and Hail?