Author Topic: Oh No! More Challenges!  (Read 111729 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Oh No! More Challenges!
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2009, 06:35:49 PM »
Complete Fun 26, "Nightmare on Lem Street", while only giving skills to one of the lemmings. It's up to you which one you give them to,  but you can only give them to one. This includes climbers and floaters! (I can completely understand why some may think this one's impossible, but I've got a replay I can provide if anyone seriously wants to question it. To be honest, I would be very surprised if anyone other than ccexplore can complete this challenge.)

I completed it. I'm afraid I don't think it's nearly as tough as you made it sound.

Offline Fleech

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2009, 07:02:06 PM »
I've just completed that one as well. :)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2009, 07:41:59 PM »
Indeed, you can do this even on the cloned level (Mayhem 13 "The Great Lemming Caper") without much difficulty.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2009, 09:56:52 PM »
Damn, I thought that might be possible -- after all, the beginning of my solution to the challenge isn't at all far off the way I originally solved Mayhem 13 -- but I couldn't see how to get it to work with only two builders. Can you give us a hint?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2009, 10:15:13 PM »
Well first off, let's make sure we're in fact handling the beginning of the solution the same way:

Quote from: Spoiler
Just repeatedly and rapidly alternate assigning digger and miner to the first lemming out, to quickly lower him such that he can mine low enough to turn the second lemming around, who will end up trapped on the left side of the level.

It's of note that because of the miner positioning glitch (the same underlying one that is involved in Wicked 6 100% for example), you can go down more quickly alternating digger and miner than if you don't use the miner in your skills alternation).

Once you handle the beginning my way, I think the rest should be relatively obvious.  After all, you only need the 2 builders to keep yourself and your other lemming from falling to the bottom part of the level.  Here's one more hint:

Quote from: hint
Dig down a bit before you use your first builder.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2009, 10:44:13 PM »
Solved!

The only thing I'd been doing wrong is, I thought you would have to two miner strokes before starting digging to make the pit asymmetrical enough for the second lemming to actually get out the other side. Turns out that's not the case.

And now I may as well explain what I meant about the similarity to the first solution I found to this level, way back when:

Exactly the same, except that when the second lemming turned round I made him bash or mine down to the holding area, then made him a climber in the end.

Online GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2009, 03:39:36 AM »
Did this solution match your solution, Giga?

Im afaid not

First let the frist lemming be a floater
Next build from the stairs
then keep building to the finish

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2009, 02:59:28 PM »
w00t, I finally managed 100% on Taxing 6. :D
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2009, 07:35:16 PM »
Maybe you used a glitch for it, and I think I know what that might be...
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2009, 01:24:06 AM »
Solutions that involve glitches tend to be a pain.  :P

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2009, 10:49:12 AM »
That's just you, Dullstar, because you can't execute as many glitches as the other guys I can tell. :D

OK, try this one. Tame 13, 100% with 3 builders (nothing else) and 2 minutes.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2009, 11:54:19 AM »
No, it's not just him -- ask ccexplore some time how much I ranted against glitch solutions on the old forums.

No-one wanted to try my Tame 16 challenge? I found it quite fun, but I guess for most people here it would just be trivial....

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 16, 2009, 12:22:46 PM »
No, it's not just him -- ask ccexplore some time how much I ranted against glitch solutions on the old forums.

I thought you were objecting more to custom levels that rely solely on glitches for difficulty, because it becomes an "unfair" situation where the level would be easy if you know the glitch and impossible if you don't.  Of course, there is now a glitch thread, so at least that mitigates the "impossible" part I guess.  I think Dullstar is objecting more to the difficulty in execution of some of the glitches.

It's good to keep in mind that it's not like we go out of the way to include as many glitches as possible, just that if we're talking about challenge solutions, sometimes the only way to do them is via glitches.  And just because you know a glitch doesn't mean it'd make a challenge any easier to work out and execute.  geoo89's recent 1-builder 100% Tame 13 solution is a perfect example.  I think you'd also find plenty of challenge solutions we've presented that don't rely on glitches, actually.

No-one wanted to try my Tame 16 challenge? I found it quite fun, but I guess for most people here it would just be trivial....

I'm afraid that since the challenge doesn't say anything about builders, it does seem rather unremarkable given that there are a number of other levels solvable with the same solution concept.  Do feel free to correct me though if there's some hidden subtle difficulty I've overlooked, or if I misread the conditions of the challenge.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2009, 01:52:16 PM »
I thougt of another way to mayhem 25- Have a nice day
    (Btw i completed Mayhem level 30)
        Im sooooo proud of my self

Mayhem 30 isn't a challenge, it's piss easy. Mayhem 29 is the one to get excited over beating.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2009, 03:54:56 PM »
Fun 3:  Lose 3
Fun 6:  Lose 2
Fun 18:  Lose 5
Tricky 15:  Lose 3
Tricky 16:  Lose 4
Tricky 17:  Lose 2
Tricky 18:  Lose 1
Tricky 23:  Lose 1
Taxing 7:  Lose 1
Taxing 19:  Lose 5
Taxing 27:  Lose 3
Taxing 28:  Lose 10
Mayhem 5:  Lose 4
Mayhem 10:  Lose 2
Mayhem 19:  Lose 3
Mayhem 26:  Lose 4
Mayhem 29:  Lose 2

Sorry for asking about this in this thread, but I didn't want to create a new thread for such a small question: how can you save 78/80 in Mayhem 29 (my favorite level in the game, for some reason)? haha, I was so proud of my 76/80 solution... does it involve a glitch? I'm totally clueless about how you made it.

PS: A hint would be nice, to see if I'm able to figure it out by myself :)
Like prog metal? Listen at Izkemia on MySpace or Facebook.