Author Topic: Player V1.40n-C | Editor V1.40n | Flexi Toolit V1.07 | Graphic Set Tool V1.03  (Read 4448 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Alright - another major update here! From this update, MAIN.DAT is no longer used in custom packs (older packs that do use it are still fully supported, for now - from V1.41n, while they'll remain playable, their custom graphics will not work, instead showing the default ones). Instead, all custom graphics are in the form of PNG files - the new Flexi Toolkit will allow you to include these. Please take a look at the Flexi Tutorial for information on how these work; this has finally been updated.

Less major, but still exciting, is that a single pack no longer has to choose between regular or Santa lemmings - this is now determined by the graphic set, although it can be overridden by the pack as a whole. Note that this feature won't be retroactively applied to old packs; it only will be invoked on NXPs built with the latest toolkit, or on single levels.

The V1.40n-B update just fixes three bugs. One of them, I felt that since people will be updating their packs to use PNGs anyway, it was important to get this fix in ASAP once I was reminded it still needed to be done. This relates to one frame of trap animations being skipped. Note that this may throw off the timing in levels that rely on traps, so please re-test such levels! Note that as this is a relatively minor physics change, it's more likely that if an existing replay doesn't work, it's only the replay, not the entire level, that's been broken by the change. I would be very surprised if any levels are broken altogether by it, but it is possible. The second is a pretty major physics glitch resulting from backwards framestepping; it would've most likely been introduced in V1.39n-B so is unlikely to affect any old levels. The last two bugs are relatively minor and relatively rare (but very annoying) respectively, but I thought I may as well fix it at the same time.

The V1.40n-C update is another fix / implement suggestions update. One feature of note is that, in packs that have level / image dumping enabled, you can press F7 on the title screen to dump some of the system graphics. Note that this is only intended for use as a tool to help with the upgrade to PNG-based rather than MAIN.DAT-based packs, and probably won't even work properly with packs that already use PNGs.

V1.40n
------
* No longer uses MAIN.DAT (is still compatible with older packs that do use it), uses PNG files for all
  system graphics instead. These are still stored internally in the EXE (or NXPs).
* Can now choose whether to use regular lemmings or Santa lemmings based on the graphic set.

V1.40n-B
--------
* Fixes the bug where one frame of the animation of traps, single-use traps and teleporters is skipped.
**Fixes the bug where if a disarmer disarms a trap, then backwards framestep is used, the trap will remain
  disarmed even if going back to before the disarmer disarmed it.
* Fixes the bug where changing the music/sound on and off during gameplay is not saved after exiting
  the player when playing single levels or in testplay mode.
* Fixes the bug where the postview screen may be impossible to exit (except via Alt+F4) if automatic
  replay saving is on.

V1.40n-C
--------
* Adds the option to rip some system graphics. This is intended for assisting in conversion from MAIN.DAT
  to PNG files, and not as a general-purpose image extraction; it may not work properly with packs that
  already use PNGs. To use this feature, press F7 on the title screen (level / image dumping must be enabled
  for the pack you're playing), then check the "/Dump/[game name]/" folder.
* Added an option to not replay skill selections when viewing a replay (note that this option also causes
  skill changes by the user to not interrupt replays).
* Replay mode is cancelled once no replay actions are left to re-perform. Note that this includes actions
  that will not be visible to the player (eg. skill selections where the user has selected to not replay
  these; or even pausing in the case of old replays, although new replays made with this version no longer
  record that the user has paused).
* If a level-specified music file is missing, NeoLemmix will attempt to revert to the default rotation
  rather than going direct to failure. Failure is also now silent.
* Fixes the following bugs:
  > Climbers do not ignore an overhang at the 6th pixel, if climbing a wall exactly 7 pixels high.
  > Level code screen has a different screen size (not overly noticable due to resizing) than other menu
    screens.
  > Platformer graphic's brick (for non-Santa lemmings) is slightly mispositioned.
  > Bricks in constructive skills and particles in destructive skills not visible when playing NXPs
    made for V1.40n+.
  > "Apply" can be clicked in config dialog even when nothing has been changed.
  > Pressing the nuke hotkey once cancels replay, even though a double-press is needed to do anything.

Download: http://www.neolemmix.com/old/NeoLemmix.exe
NeoLemmix Introduction Pack: http://www.neolemmix.com/old/neolemmix/NeoLemmixIntroduction.nxp <-- Recommended for players who are new to NeoLemmix
Source Code: V1.40n | V1.40n-C (Sorry, it appears I forgot to keep a copy of V1.40n-B's source)

The V1.40n update of the editor (yes, I decided to drop the -A from first releases under each number, it was just confusing me having it there for one component but not the other) is mostly just a bugfix / tidy-up update.

V1.40n
------
> Removed the SYSTEM.DAT editor and VGASPEC generator as these have been obsolete for a long time.
> For NeoLemmix and SuperLemmini, the default level size has been changed to a single screen (ie:
  320x160 for NeoLemmix, or 640x320 for SuperLemmini).
> For NeoLemmix and SuperLemmini, the default time limit is now unlimited, rather than 5 minutes.
> Fixed the bug where it was possible to make a level smaller than one screen in size.

Download (for new users): http://www.neolemmix.com/old/neolemmixeditor.zip
Download (for existing users):
-- Replace your EXE: http://www.neolemmix.com/old/NeoLemmixEditor.exe
-- Replace the Xmas.dat file in "styles/NeoLemmix": http://www.neolemmix.com/old/neolemmix/xmas.dat

As you probably guessed, the main point of the Flexi Toolkit update is to support the new features. There's also a few minor fixes.

V1.07
-----
> Supports use of PNG images rather than MAIN.DAT for custom graphics.
> Removed support for MAIN.DAT as it is no longer used by NeoLemmix V1.40n, except in older packs.
> Removed the "Disable Bomber Mask Adjust" option, as the mask is no longer customizable in any way
  so the fixed, built-in one will always be used.
> Added the option (under Show All Options) to force a pack to always use Regular or Santa lemmings,
  rather than determining it based on the graphic set.
> Changes the texts on several buttons to make it more obvious what they do.
> Fixes the bug where changes to the pack's contents wouldn't be saved before building an NXP.

Download: http://www.neolemmix.com/old/FlexiTool.zip
Default images: http://www.neolemmix.com/old/flexitutorial/default_custom_images.zip
Source: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k7zcibqiziyqfiz/FlexiTool_V1.07_Source.zip

And likewise, the V1.02 update to the Graphic Set Tool is just to support the new feature of graphic sets determining the lemming sprites.

The V1.03 update adds the ability to preview an object's animation right in the tool itself.

V1.02
>  Added the option to define whether a graphic set uses the regular lemmings or the
   Xmas ones.

V1.03
>  Adds the ability to preview an object's animation.

Download: http://www.neolemmix.com/old/gstool.zip
Source: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4vzpr1mzmpyur59/GSTool_1.03_Source.zip
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 01:15:29 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Player V1.40n, Flexi Toolit V1.07, Graphic Set Tool V1.02 Released
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 05:11:13 PM »
Rebuild my packs with the new direct png support and after encountering (and solving) a problem: It works! :)

The problem was, that the pink color that was representing the background was considered as part of the logo. After downloading and installing gimp (as paint cannot do this apparently) and some time where I learned how to create a background colour, the big pink blob behind the logo is gone :)

Maybe I make an update to my pack nxp's to include the new png structure this weekend.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Player V1.40n-B, Flexi Toolit V1.07, Graphic Set Tool V1.02 Released
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 03:36:59 AM »
Player V1.40n-B uploaded. This is just a bugfix update.

V1.40n-B
--------
* Fixes the bug where one frame of the animation of traps, single-use traps and teleporters is skipped.
**Fixes the bug where if a disarmer disarms a trap, then backwards framestep is used, the trap will remain
  disarmed even if going back to before the disarmer disarmed it.
* Fixes the bug where changing the music/sound on and off during gameplay is not saved after exiting
  the player when playing single levels or in testplay mode.
* Fixes the bug where the postview screen may be impossible to exit (except via Alt+F4) if automatic
  replay saving is on.

The first one may break some levels, although it's very unlikely (the change appears to be subtle enough that it doesn't enable a 74/80 solution to Death Row (LPI Psycho 23), which was VERY close to - but not quite - possible prior to the fix). It is a bit more likely that it'll break some replays though, though I haven't yet encountered any.

For the last one - I'm not entirely sure of every possible trigger, but I think my fix should cover any possible case where it comes up. One way I do know of to trigger it is to have automatic replay saving on, then fail the first level you play after starting up NeoLemmix, then complete a level (this may only happen if you load a replay for that level, not sure if it still happens if you complete it manually). This can be the same level or two different ones. At any rate, it's fixed now.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 04:03:22 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Player V1.40n-B, Flexi Toolit V1.07, Graphic Set Tool V1.02 Released
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 04:02:31 AM »
Reuploaded V1.40n-B to fix a fairly major bug that was discovered shortly after its release.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Editor update V1.40n is here. This update isn't critical as such; it just fixes a few minor things.

In regard to updating content for the new players: I'm working on a V1.40n-C update to the player which will have a "Dump System Images" feature, similar to the existing "Dump Levels" and "Dump Level Images" ones. Unlike LemMain, this will extract them with the exact filenames, transparency settings, etc that are expected in the PNG files - and, for that matter, dump them in PNG format. So you may want to wait for this update before trying to upgrade your packs; although if you only have a small handful of images (eg. just a logo and rank signs), you probably won't need to worry too much about this.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Graphic Set Tool V1.03 update released. This simply adds the ability to preview an object's animation in the tool itself. Click the "Preview" button near the checkboxes on the right.

In the case of triggered objects, it should delay about a second between the "inactive" frame and the animation. For single-use traps, it will have this delay on both the pre-animation and post-animation frame. This is intentional (and I'm sure you can understand why), not a bug.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
For those who are building packs and want some resources other than the defaults, but don't want to make their own, keep an eye out here: http://www.neolemmix.com/old/neoflexi.html
NOTE: The custom lemming graphics are not currently usable in packs. They'll be usable in the Player V1.41n / Toolkit V1.08 update, coming soon. You can put them in your project folder so you're ready for it when the update drops, or use them to as a starting point for preparing completely custom ones.

So far there's only a few alternatives - mostly skill panels - but as I get through converting the official games and my own packs, I'm adding to the list.

Progress on official (/semi-official) games - those that are struck out have been upgraded:

Original Lemmings
Oh No! More Lemmings!
Xmas Lemmings (91/92)
Holiday Lemmings (93/94)
Covox Lemmings
Prima Lemmings
Extra Levels
Copycat Lemmings
NeoLemmix Introduction Pack
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 03:15:21 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Player V1.40n-C released. Apart from several fixes / implementations of suggestions, it also adds an image dumping feature that should help with the upgrade to PNGs. Press F7 on the title screen (note: the NXP you're playing must have Level / Image Dumping enabled) to dump PNG copies of the menu graphics - it doesn't do in-game graphics, but I don't think I've seen any custom ones of those outside of my own packs anyway (if you're using one of the ones from my packs in your pack too, check the link in the above post - copies of them in PNG form are available there, as are the alternate-colored ones from Prima / Covox / Extra, and the Holiday-themed ones).

Note that this new feature is not guaranteed to work - indeed, it probably doesn't work - with packs that are already upgraded to PNGs, as it's only intended to help with the upgrade.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
Press F7 on the title screen (note: the NXP you're playing must have Level / Image Dumping enabled) to dump PNG copies of the menu graphics - it doesn't do in-game graphics, but I don't think I've seen any custom ones of those outside of my own packs anyway

What about the LPIII/Omega/LPIV skill number counts? Those should also be included on the website. Also, I'm using the skill countdown digits from the first LPIII Demo in my DynaLems Demo (which you've sent me).

There's also the floater/glider that changes color depending on the graphic set.

Have you also upgraded the Doomsday Lemmings series to the new PNGs? It doesn't say on the list of games that you've struck out.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
What about the LPIII/Omega/LPIV skill number counts? Those should also be included on the website.
They're included with the skill panels. (All three are identical, except the LPIV "infinite" digit.)

Also, I'm using the skill countdown digits from the first LPIII Demo in my DynaLems Demo (which you've sent me).
If you don't know how / don't have an app capable of saving transparent PNGs, if you could send me the BMPs (extracted by LemMain) I'll be happy to put together a skill_digits.png for you from those.

There's also the floater/glider that changes color depending on the graphic set.
I haven't added support for custom lemming graphics yet. There's some kludges in the code that need to be replaced with actually fixing up the animations themself, but it's highly impractical to do this while continuing to support MAIN.DAT, therefore I'm putting that off until MAIN.DAT support is dropped altogether. Until that's fixed, and thus I can provide fixed downloadable graphics packs / defaults to use as a starting point, I don't want to have custom graphics that are pre-fix (and therefore, will be broken when used in fixed versions) floating around, hence why I haven't added support for that yet (or rather, I haven't added support in the Flexi Toolkit - the player has support for it).

Once those fixes are made and the support is there for custom lemming graphics, I'll be adding those to the site too.

Have you also upgraded the Doomsday Lemmings series to the new PNGs? It doesn't say on the list of games that you've struck out.
Yes, they've been upgraded too. I just get the feeling that they weren't really "big" enough (in terms of popularity or notability) to bother bumping the topic to mention that.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Adds the option to rip some system graphics. [...] To use this feature, press F7 on the title screen (level / image dumping must be enabled for the pack you're playing), then check the "/Dump/[game name]/" folder.
Are you sure about the location of the .pngs? When I tried it, no directory Dump was created. Instead the images were extracted directly in the directory of the .nxp.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Interestingly, if the "Dump" folder exists (even if the "/[game name]/" folder inside it doesn't), it works as expected. But if even the Dump folder doesn't exist, it dumps them in the NXP's folder. No idea why this is happening, but at any rate, as long as they're being placed somewhere that they can be found without difficulty, it's probably not a huge deal. I'd be more concerned if the same behaviour happens with LVL file / level image dumps, but it would seem those are fine.
My Lemmings projects