Author Topic: NeoLemmix (Player: V1.26n-C | Editor: V1.26n-B)  (Read 125000 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix (Player: V1.24n | Editor: V1.24n-A)
« Reply #495 on: November 02, 2014, 06:55:33 AM »
Well, Taxing 13 is certianly a pain to apply it on - but also a useful level, because I discovered a glitch with this feature while doing so; namely that all upside down pieces would be treated as if the flag was set.

So, what ya think?

EDIT: I've also added a warning in the editor, which will pop up when saving LVL files if the level has more objects/terrains/steels than the format can handle (previously, the extras were just not saved). If using the non-extended LVL format, but using a NeoLemmix style, it will also suggest switching the level to the Extended Format if the maximums for *that* aren't exceeded. Note that it won't prevent saving the level, it's just a *warning*.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: November 02, 2014, 12:51:28 PM »
Looks very good, although were the roots on the one-way wall on the right side meant to have the arrows on them too?

There are some mistakes in the level adjustments for the following levels while looking through images of the levels that I dumped:
Present 8 / Sunsoft 6 - Part of the left side is cut off, including the fire trap
Present 14 - part of the left circle is cut off
Present 19 / Sunsoft 1 - you can see a blank space as shown in the left side of the wall.
Sunsoft 24 - part of the left side is cut off.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #497 on: November 02, 2014, 01:10:00 PM »
I'll look into that. There's one in the Genesis rank that I think seems a bit off too - I forget the name but I *think* it's the first Genesis-exclusive level of Tricky.

The roots having the one-way arrows was intentional, though I was also wondering if maybe I should change that as it does look a bit odd.

Also - partly to make this easier on me, and partly because it'll be a useful feature in general, I've added a "Shift Level" option to the editor. This moves the entire level, including the screen start positions and VGASPEC position.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #498 on: November 02, 2014, 01:29:24 PM »
So I've started doing the ONML levels, and I must say, it's interesting how much more common it is to have levels that fit exactly on one screen here. The original game had exactly one such level (not including repeats, as this level did have one), which was Fun 9 / Tricky 26. Apart from that, Fun 11 / Taxing 18 also fit on one screen - but not exactly, it was actually 312 pixels wide (one screen is 320 pixels wide) so there was leftover space on both sides. I know a lot of my own designs were made to fit on a single screen; for example, all four No Time To Die levels take up one full screen exactly.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #499 on: November 02, 2014, 06:16:15 PM »
Some other interesting things I've found:

- ONML actually has a few traps that needed position adjustments due to the trigger area changes (Orig didn't, unless I missed some).
- ONML also has a few levels where the width needed an increase rather than a decrease, Wicked 2 was one example.
- One-way arrows are incredibly rare in ONML! I never noticed this before. (I did notice they were rare in the original game.) There was still one level where the new OWW feature was useful, though.
- Havoc 12 works out somewhat differently under NeoLemmix mechanics (specifically, the entrance order for 3-entrance levels); definitely still possible though

I also decided to make one slight adjustment to one level that was outside of just fixing it up... I get the feeling this would've been done in the official game had the mechanic existed, which is why I did...

Wicked 2. Three guesses what the change was.

At this point, Orig and ONML are done. I'll most likely release the update when all the official packs are done (the LP packs may have to wait a bit longer; though they *will* have the steel areas fixed in the next update).
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #500 on: November 03, 2014, 06:30:41 AM »
I found a few bugs relating to steel areas with the new one-way feature (EDIT: should clarify, not all are directly related to it, but some are, and all of them were found while testing the new feature). Most of them have been fixed now but one pesky one that I'm having trouble tracking down the cause of still remains - it seems manually-placed positive steel (but strangely, not negative steel) doesn't work in levels with Simple Autosteel enabled. EDIT: Managed to track down and fix it.

Also, weird results if you put the (illogical) combination of Simple Autosteel enabled but Autosteel itself disabled. Simple fix here; ignore the Simple Autosteel setting if Autosteel is not also on.

Another thing: I've decided that as it's getting quite complex to track which options relate to which games now, I'm going to be removing support for all engines except NeoLemmix and SuperLemmini at some point in the near future from the editor. It won't be the next update, but it will be fairly soon. (Support for loading traditional Lemmix / Lemmini levels will be kept, though, but they can only be edited/saved as NeoLemmix / SuperLemmini ones.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #501 on: November 03, 2014, 03:33:20 PM »
But how will that affect people who still want to create traditional levels and create players with the Traditional Flexi tool for Lemmix or level packs for Lemmini?

Of course, they can use EricLang's version, but that version is outdated, full of glitches, and they can't compile the traditional versions of the LPII styles and the Sega style. One thing I suggest is a Traditional version of the NeoLemmix editor once you've finalized the NeoLemmix editor (i.e. an updated, improved version of EricLang's editor, but without the NeoLemmix features)
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #502 on: November 03, 2014, 06:04:18 PM »
But how will that affect people who still want to create traditional levels and create players with the Traditional Flexi tool for Lemmix or level packs for Lemmini?

Of course, they can use EricLang's version, but that version is outdated, full of glitches, and they can't compile the traditional versions of the LPII styles and the Sega style. One thing I suggest is a Traditional version of the NeoLemmix editor once you've finalized the NeoLemmix editor (i.e. an updated, improved version of EricLang's editor, but without the NeoLemmix features)

I could possibly do that. One other option is simply to use an older version of the NeoLemmix editor. Alternatively, I might look into other, more simplified ways of splitting the different formats; although I can almost guarantee that WinLemm* at least will be dropped (but does anyone actually use that, anyway?).

I'll put a poll up and see what kind of interest there is in it, and decide from there what I'll do. However - I'm definitely going to drop support for saving NeoLemmix levels in non-extended format; there's really no use for it and maintaining it is somewhat annoying. In fact, I'll probably drop support for it from the players too, while there's still little NeoLemmix content out there apart from my own so it's better to do it sooner than later. Support for *loading* it in the editor will be kept.

(To be clear - the players will still be able to load traditional LVL format, and this will include loading specified music tracks and NeoLemmix-style oddtabling from them, since those two features are also available in traditional CustLemmix which I have no plans to move away from the standard format. Likewise, the NeoLemmix Editor will still be able to save these (and values for the SuperLemming field other than 0000 or FFFF; as traditional LPII / LPIIB use these) values for traditional LVL files.)

* Of course, WinLemm's level format is exactly the same as that of DOS / Traditional Lemmix, so it would only be WinLemm graphic sets that support for would be dropped; the level files can still be edited as long as DOS / Traditional Lemmix support is kept.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #503 on: November 03, 2014, 07:36:24 PM »
I can confirm at this point that the following features will be removed in the *next* update:
- Editor: Any compatibility with WinLemm graphic sets
- Editor: Saving NeoLemmix levels in non-extended format

The following, some (but not all) may be eventually removed, but they will not be removed in the *next* update:
- Editor: Compatibility with traditional Lemmix/Lemmini
- Editor: Loading NeoLemmix levels from non-extended format
- Player: Loading NeoLemmix levels from non-extended format

By the way - another thing to consider about keeping support for the older formats - one thing mentioned was that EricLang's version of Lemmix Editor was quite buggy - but there's always jLevelBuilder, especially for Lemmini.

Another thing I plan to get rid of soon is the compiling of styles; instead allowing it to simply use the styles directly as-is. This is in fact already supported to some degree, but is known to sometimes be buggy.

Finally, one other change: I'm going to add the Genesis styles to NeoCustLemmix. :) They'll be numbered 20 to 24, and can also be recognized via the styles-by-name option.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #504 on: November 03, 2014, 09:18:38 PM »
Sorry. I couldn't resist. :P

(The real exit is still the same one as it always was, though. Additionally, since the original "hint" isn't available to most players these days, I built a hint into the actual level design - although it's not present in the attached pic as I added it later. It's quite subtle though.)

Also, a slight change in plan from what I previously said about the next update having all the official levels adjusted: I'm not going to do the levels in Extra just yet. The other official ones will all be adjusted (including X91/92, Covox and Prima).
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #505 on: November 03, 2014, 11:13:45 PM »
Alright, only two things left that I want to do for this version before it's ready for release - adding the rescued lemmings blink, and fixing a relatively minor bug that I discovered (I previously fixed this one actually, but either I didn't fix it 100% or it's crept back in - it's a minor one, but still). After that, it'll be ready. The editor is already ready. The update for traditional to use the new SYSTEM.DATs will be my next project after that (as well as a few small bugfixes).

Modified levels for Extra and the Lemmings Plus packs will probably come as part of V1.25n-B. I don't plan to do modifications to the NeoLemmix tutorial pack unless there's an issue that makes them impossible or disproportionately difficult to solve with the new changes.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 03, 2014, 11:37:07 PM »
Additionally, since the original "hint" isn't available to most players these days...
I never understood what "hint" the level title refers to. Is it something that was in the manual?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #507 on: November 04, 2014, 05:42:29 AM »
Additionally, since the original "hint" isn't available to most players these days...
I never understood what "hint" the level title refers to. Is it something that was in the manual?

Apparently it was. I never saw this for myself; I just remember reading about it somewhere. I originally found the exit by lucky guessing.

Anyway, this bug is being quite a pain to track down the last part of. Specifically, you know how I mentioned I fixed the issue where the cursor would show as having a selected lemming when over the skill panel? Well, it still does that when paused. I managed to mostly fix this apart from one thing - it briefly flashes to the selected lemming one sometimes* when moving it back onto the game area now, unless the game is paused. And I cannot for the life of me work out *why*. Most confusingly; even if I completely disable the code which reactivates the lemming check after it's moved back onto the game area, this one-frame flash STILL happens.

* I have been able to work out the exact conditions that triggers it; just not yet a way to stop it happening.

EDIT: FINALLY got it! Also, I've implemented the rescue count blink but I made one small change - it doesn't blink when you have rescued enough lemmings, it blinks when you haven't. This keeps it consistent with the others, where the blinking indicates something bad - not having enough remaining lemmings to reach the goal, or being close to running out of time.

EDIT: Alright, everything's pretty much ready now. The updated version of LemSet has been available for quite a while now, new version of LemMain is fully prepared for release, the editor and player pretty much just need to be compiled and packaged now. I have to go out for a bit though, so it'll be a little bit later on, but very soon. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix (Player: V1.25n | Editor: V1.25n-A)
« Reply #508 on: November 04, 2014, 06:54:56 PM »
Alright, big update time! Updates to NeoLemmix, the NeoLemmix Editor, and LemMain. :)

NeoLemmix V1.25n
----------------------------
*  Terrain pieces can now be set to be excluded from one-way walls
*  Trigger areas in all graphic sets have been fine-tuned
*  Lemmings counts are now adjusted to the number of pre-placed lemmings in levels with no
   windows, or levels where the lemming count is less than the number of pre-placed lemmings
*  Flexi now looks for a standalone SYSTEM.DAT file instead of looking for an extra section
   in MAIN.DAT; the format of this has also been changed
*  Added an option to make the rescued lemmings count blink when not enough lemmings have
   yet been saved (it is this rather than blinking when enough *have* been saved to keep
   consistency with the other blinks, which generally imply a negative situation)
*  Added an option to enable LVL / image dumping in Flexi players
*  Added support for styles-by-name in Flexi players
*  Entrance default spawn position has been moved one pixel left and one pixel upwards
*  In custom graphic sets, an entrance spawn position can now be specified; this overrides
   the default one. Note that the position cannot be set at (0, -4) or (0, 0) for backwards
   compatibility reasons
*  A skill with infinite uses now displays an infinity symbol instead of the count being
   whited out completely
*  The one-way arrows in the Snow style have been recolored to make them more visible
*  Wraparound has been seperated into two gimmicks; Wrap Horizontal and Wrap Vertical
*  Solid Floor gimmick will be ignored if Wrap Vertical is also set (but it works fine with
   Wrap Horizontal)
*  Mechanics can no longer disable traps while climbing, swimming or in mid-air
*  Swimming bombers/stoners now function properly (the lack of terrain destruction from a
   swimming bomber is intentional; but they previously OhNo'd when they shouldn't've)
*  Assigning a skill to a previously-unused lemming no longer assigns skills to previously-used
   lemmings too when the Assign To All and One Skill Per Lemming gimmick are combined
*  All lemmings that perform the skill turn around when the Turnaround and Assign To All gimmicks
   are combined
*  Fixed the bug where replays would not be interrupted when the selected skill was changed using
   the Z/X shortcut keys
*  Fixed the steel issues on certain levels (especially in LPDOS) introduced in a recent update
*  Fixed the countdown digits 6 to 9 in all MAIN.DAT files
*  Improved the fix for the cursor sometimes showing as having a lemming under it when it's actually
   on the skill panel.
*  Replays are a bit less strict on lemming selection, which means they shouldn't stop playing back
   as a result of minor modifications to the level (however, do keep in mind that the effect of these
   build up over time and will almost certianly eventually throw the solution off).
*  Level counts for each rank are no longer hardcoded, but are instead determined from the number
   of levels present in the rank's level pack file. Secret level counts remain hardcoded (or come
   from SYSTEM.DAT in Flexi).
*  If the number of secret levels in the last rank is equal to the number of levels full stop in
   the last rank, it will be treated as a secret rank (like the one in LPIII Bonus Pack); this
   applies in Flexi too.
*  Cust and Flexi now include the Genesis styles, numbered from 20 to 24 (they are also recognised
   through the styles by name feature). Please note that these styles do NOT contain the new objects;
   but they do have the adjusted trigger areas and support for autosteel.
*  Major adjustments have been made to the levels in Orig, OhNo, X9192, H94, Covox and Prima.

Downloads: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9pbvgx8ihlqhh2z/AABBgteLgs9tPEkf595nO625a
Alternative: http://www.neolemmix.com/old/neolemmixplayers.html

NeoLemmix Editor V1.25n-A
---------------------------------------
* Added a SYSTEM.DAT editor; note that this only works with V1.25n+ SYSTEM.DAT files. As adding all
  the victory/fail texts can be tedious, a SYSTEM.DAT with preset texts is included.
* Supports marking terrain pieces for whether or not they can be one-way walls. Please note that this
  is not yet rendered correctly in the editor.
* Supports the switch to invert whether the default option is to allow or prevent terrain becoming
  one-way walls.
* WinLemm graphic sets are no longer supported.
* The "Extended Format" option for NeoLemmix levels no longer exists; NeoLemmix levels are now always
  saved in extended format. Non-extended format NeoLemmix levels can still be loaded (however, do note
  that if they use the old (LPII style) gimmick codes, the gimmicks will not load properly and will have
  to be re-applied manually).
* The checkboxes for "Custom Gimmick Combination", "Custom Skillset" and "Neg. Steel" have been removed,
  as all still-supported formats either have these options always on or always off; the non-extended
  NeoLemmix format was the only format where they could be either enabled or disabled.
* The oddtabling option is no longer sometimes randomly cleared when editing traditional Lemmix levels.
* "TBaseDosGraphicSet" in NeoLemmixStyles.INI has been changed to "TDosGraphicSet"; custom INI files need
  to be updated accordingly.
* The "BrickColor" parameter in NeoLemmixStyles.INI has been removed, as it doesn't do anything anyway.
  (It was used for playtest mode in the original Lemmix editor, but since CustLemmix / NeoCustLemmix handles
  that externally, it isn't needed here.)
* The Genesis styles have been added for both NeoCustLemmix and CustLemm styles.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oswjuzjlqmzp80x/NeoLemmixEditor_V1.25n-A.zip
Note that Traditional FlexiLemmix has not yet been updated to support the new SYSTEM.DAT format; you'll need to keep using the old one for now. Expect an update fairly soon though.

LemMain V8.0
---------------------
  > adds the "skills_inf_01.bmp" and "highlight_01.bmp" for NeoLemmix MAIN.DAT files; the former is
    used as of V1.25n while the latter is planned for future usage
  > removes support for building/including a SYSTEM.DAT section as this is no longer part of MAIN.DAT,
    and can be created by the NeoLemmix Editor
  > reorganizes the format selection screen, taking into account that Traditional Flexi now supports
    up to 15 ranks as of V24

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yjgd8mxeegjr0s7/LemMain_V8.0.zip
Please note that until the V24 update for Traditional is released, you'll need to keep using LemMain V7.3 (or earlier) for traditional.

If you don't want to create your own graphics for the new images, copies of the versions used in the NeoLemmix players have been added to the extra graphics ZIP, which can be found here.

Alternatives:
LemMain V8.0: http://www.neolemmix.com/old/lemtools/LemMain.zip
Extra Graphics: http://www.neolemmix.com/old/lemtools/NewMainGraphics.zip

Please note that I haven't had the time to test them as extensively as I'd have liked to, so there might be issues - please report them straight away (preferably in this topic).
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix (Player: V1.25n | Editor: V1.25n-A)
« Reply #509 on: November 04, 2014, 07:39:43 PM »
Also, the current todo list for future versions. (This is just for the player, not the editor.)

> A proper readme
> One-way arrow positioning fixes
> Volume control
> Instant slowfreeze/radiation option for Flexi
> In-game configuration menu
> "Ghost" rank
> Level upgrades for Extra and Lemmings Plus packs
> RGB-based graphic sets (maybe)
> "Highlight" lemming (like Lemmings 3D and Cheapo have) (maybe)

As before, I'm still open to suggestions (though not making any guarantees that I'll implement all of them), as long as they aren't new gimmicks, new skills or new object types.
My Lemmings projects